• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The Virus - Are You Affected?

I have never bothered to learn how to negative rep anybody. I am probably not the only lazy sod here. That is probably why half-life's rep isn't even lower.
No, there's a lower limit.
And it's only worth half your rep power. So if you rep at, say, 80 points, then giving someone neg rep scores them -40.

So 9 weeks in and wife is unemployed, she works as a waitress. Unemployment benefits still pending for 8 weeks now. Can’t even get a response on why the delay. Fortunately as a teacher I am still working from home and getting paid and we can get by without her income. If we needed her income to get by on a monthly basis we would be screwed. California’s unemployment system is hopelessly broken it appears.

Yeah, the unemployment systems have been having problems.

There's also been the problem of a huge number of fraudulent applications.

Citation needed.

The first mention I saw of it:

https://krebsonsecurity.com/2020/05...gainst-state-unemployment-insurance-programs/

I have never bothered to learn how to negative rep anybody. I am probably not the only lazy sod here. That is probably why half-life's rep isn't even lower.

Not really anything to learn. Just change the radio button from "I approve" which is the default, to "I disapprove" which is immediately below that.

I don't think I've ever neg repped anyone. Seems just not worth the bother. I'm usually (now that i'm older anyway) able to just let it be and move on with my life. I usually give positive rep when I agree with someone, but I don't have anything to add that merits its own post... or when it's something that is extremely well expressed.

A few people I have put on my ignore list. Why waste time with clowns?

A few people I have put on my ignore list. Why waste time with clowns?

Haven't put anyone on Ignore, but there is a growing list of people I just scroll past. Generally because they are a waste of time. They show no sign of actual communication, just push a narrative while ignoring any facts or arguments presented.

Hilarious;

LANSING — An Owosso barber who has kept his shop open despite a suspended license and a cease and desist order from the state will not have to close, a Shiawassee County judge ruled Thursday. The Michigan Attorney General's Office filed a request for an emergency temporary restraining order against barber Karl Manke when he refused to close his shop after receiving two citations — one for violating the governor's executive stay-home order and another from the county health department. Shiawassee County Circuit Court Judge Matthew Stewart decided Thursday not to grant the attorney general's request, allowing Manke to stay open. Stewart said the decision was a "close call" in an opinion issued Thursday. He said it makes sense at face value that putting people close together for prolonged amounts of time poses a public health risk, but the attorney general's office failed to say how Manke's shop was a risk. Although Michigan Chief Medical Executive Dr. Joneigh Khaldun said in an affidavit that Manke's shop was a public health threat, Stewart said she gave no reasons why. "(The attorney general) has not presented any studies underlying the doctor's conclusion. (The attorney general) has not shown any nexus between the cutting of hair and an increased risk of transmission," Stewart wrote in his opinion. "(The attorney general's) filings rest more on general facts about COVID-19 than specific practices or conditions at (Manke's) business."

Michigan

The authoritarians are going to appeal the ruling, of course.

Attorney general's office spokesperson Ryan Jarvi said the office plans to appeal Stewart's decision.

Hilarious;

LANSING — An Owosso barber who has kept his shop open despite a suspended license and a cease and desist order from the state will not have to close, a Shiawassee County judge ruled Thursday. The Michigan Attorney General's Office filed a request for an emergency temporary restraining order against barber Karl Manke when he refused to close his shop after receiving two citations — one for violating the governor's executive stay-home order and another from the county health department. Shiawassee County Circuit Court Judge Matthew Stewart decided Thursday not to grant the attorney general's request, allowing Manke to stay open. Stewart said the decision was a "close call" in an opinion issued Thursday. He said it makes sense at face value that putting people close together for prolonged amounts of time poses a public health risk, but the attorney general's office failed to say how Manke's shop was a risk. Although Michigan Chief Medical Executive Dr. Joneigh Khaldun said in an affidavit that Manke's shop was a public health threat, Stewart said she gave no reasons why. "(The attorney general) has not presented any studies underlying the doctor's conclusion. (The attorney general) has not shown any nexus between the cutting of hair and an increased risk of transmission," Stewart wrote in his opinion. "(The attorney general's) filings rest more on general facts about COVID-19 than specific practices or conditions at (Manke's) business."

Michigan

The authoritarians are going to appeal the ruling, of course.

Attorney general's office spokesperson Ryan Jarvi said the office plans to appeal Stewart's decision.

Really? Are you so incredulous that you can't see the link between a profession where someone frequently touches the heads and faces of everyone they work with (and in which gloves are infeasible), and transmission risks?

Really? Are you so incredulous that you can't see the link between a profession where someone frequently touches the heads and faces of everyone they work with (and in which gloves are infeasible), and transmission risks?

Judge Stewart is asking these questions. Where are the studies and where is the evidence that shows the link you and the authoritarians claim ? None was presented.

Judge Stewart is asking these questions. Where are the studies and where is the evidence that shows the link you and the authoritarians claim ? None was presented.

You are asking for a point of trivia that is often the basis for criticism of research: "research finds that shooting people in the brain kills them" followed by your I'll spouting something like "why are we paying money to find out obvious things". We know that touching the head and face is a primary driver of COVID transmissions. Barbers touch people's faces (and long strands attached to their heads that have frequent facial contact). Covid 19 lives for up to a week on surfaces. Therefore the hands of barbers is a clear and apparent vector. All it takes is an accurate model.of how transmission happens and logic.

I don't need to do a study to conclude that frequently having unprotected sex with prostitutes is a risk factor for contracting herpes, either.

But here we are seeing you ask for evidence that water is wet.

No, there's a lower limit.
And it's only worth half your rep power. So if you rep at, say, 80 points, then giving someone neg rep scores them -40.

Also, losing rep doesn't lower rep power, AFAICT; rep power is a function of total rep received.

{snip blah, blah, blah}
I don't need to do a study to conclude that frequently having unprotected sex with prostitutes is a risk factor for contracting herpes, either.

Oh ffs, it's people getting a haircut.

"People getting their heads and faces touched frequently by someone who has obligorory contact with the faces and heads of other strangers, when touching heads and faces is a primary driver of transmission".

The word is "vector".

And in subsaharan Africa, "it's just a little mosquito bite".

"People getting their heads and faces touched frequently by someone who has obligorory contact with the faces and heads of other strangers, when touching heads and faces is a primary driver of transmission".

If you are so afraid, stay home, cut your own hair.

I have got to ask this

TSwizzle, I am curious - do you have family or friends that you are very close to? If so, are any of them high risk for this virus and are you saying these same things to them?

Ruth

TSwizzle, I am curious - do you have family or friends that you are very close to? If so, are any of them high risk for this virus and are you saying these same things to them?

These are silly and irrelevant questions.

"The risks to others resulting from my irresponsible behavior are silly and irrelevant."

These are silly and irrelevant questions.

Oh boy. TSwizzle doesn't understand how covid spreads.

If you are so afraid, stay home, cut your own hair.

Like Dilbert's Wally, I am going to let my hair grow long, tie it up in a pony tail and be the coolest kid on the block.

So 9 weeks in and wife is unemployed, she works as a waitress. Unemployment benefits still pending for 8 weeks now. Can’t even get a response on why the delay. Fortunately as a teacher I am still working from home and getting paid and we can get by without her income. If we needed her income to get by on a monthly basis we would be screwed. California’s unemployment system is hopelessly broken it appears.

An update:
So I logged in today and suddenly 8 weeks of claims are listed as paid. What? Paid how they haven’t sent me the debit card they load the payments onto. Can’t call to ask because you get a recorded message, “we are experiencing high call volume please listen to this useless information. Then we are sorry we can not take your call you will be disconnected.” Took an hour to find the buried information, “when a payment is made a card is then sent and should arrive 5 to 7 days later. Might want to put that information somewhere up front!

Back
Top Bottom