• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The Virus - Are You Affected?

And, if you're afraid of the vaccine, think of my 95 year old mother who is in a nursing home and on hospice. She received both doses of the vaccine without any side effects,

You should count your blessings.

My mother-in-law got her first C19 vaccination about 2 weeks ago. It put her in bed for days.
Since then, she's heard from the same people who talked her into the first shot, that the second one is much worse.

That wasn't her doctor or me, it was some church lady friend of hers.
Now, I'm not sure if she's going to go back for the second shot. The first was pretty bad, and she believes that the second will be much worse.

I really really wish that poorly tested drugs weren't so easily available to gullible old ladies who believe their gullible old lady friends.
Tom

And, if you're afraid of the vaccine, think of my 95 year old mother who is in a nursing home and on hospice. She received both doses of the vaccine without any side effects,

My mother-in-law got her first C19 vaccination about 2 weeks ago. It put her in bed for days.
Since then, she's heard from the same people who talked her into the first shot, that the second one is much worse.

Now, I'm not sure if she's going to go back for the second shot. The first was pretty bad, and she believes that the second will be much worse.

I really really wish that poorly tested drugs weren't so easily available to gullible old ladies who believe their gullible old lady friends.
Tom

Poorly tested drugs are not available legally in any developed nation.

Side effects are an expected and routine part of vaccination, and represent the exact immune response that the vaccine is trying to produce.

No medication that is effective is completely free of side effects, and it's essentially just a matter of luck how severe those side effects are for an individual; But it's a certainty that they are less severe than the consequences of contracting the disease.

The price of survival is discomfort (and that's true not only in the case of medical interventions).

A small amount of discomfort is a great deal better than a large amount, and is certainly a lot better than risking death.

A few days in bed is better than a few weeks in hospital.

Tom

Poorly tested drugs are not available legally in any developed nation.

Side effects are an expected and routine part of vaccination, and represent the exact immune response that the vaccine is trying to produce.

No medication that is effective is completely free of side effects, and it's essentially just a matter of luck how severe those side effects are for an individual; But it's a certainty that they are less severe than the consequences of contracting the disease.

The price of survival is discomfort (and that's true not only in the case of medical interventions).

A small amount of discomfort is a great deal better than a large amount, and is certainly a lot better than risking death.

A few days in bed is better than a few weeks in hospital.

If the vaccine had such a bad effect on an individual then the actual virus would probably be much worse. I've been suspecting for a while that I had a reaction to the pneumonia vaccine that seniors get. It might explain the sudden onset of eczema (an auto-immune disease) that still bothers me after two years. So I'm not sure what to expect from the vaccine I'm about to get tomorrow. But it's still a better bet than waiting for COVID to find me, which would surely be just a matter of time.

If the vaccine had such a bad effect on an individual then the actual virus would probably be much worse.

In my mother-in-law's case, the virus itself was much worse.
At least, the virus was much worse than the first dose of vaccine. Whether the second is worse than the first remains to be seen. Apparently, it will be.

But nobody I know about can say anything, confidently, about what will happen next week. Not even whether she'll get dose 2 or not.

But everyone seems to have an opinion.
Tom

In Russia they started vaccination of everybody in January. I called hospital thinking that I would have to wait but was vaccinated in 2 hours.
Vaccination rate is slower than in US though, people are not eager to get it it seems.

View attachment 32100

I'm in 1c, second segment. Looks like May for me.

Where do you live?

Here, I'm in category 2. I'm eligible for vaccination right now, because I'm over 60. Health Department will pay. I just go in to Kroger grocery store and get it.

You can have mine.
Tom

Saginaw, Michigan.

Get your vaccine when you can. It will help reduce spreading.

Record number of fines for gatherings was given out in Copenhagen. Numbers are going up.

Danes are sick of the lockdown and are starting to get reckless.

There was another big demonstration against the lockdown yesterday.

Record number of fines for gatherings was given out in Copenhagen. Numbers are going up.

Danes are sick of the lockdown and are starting to get reckless.

There was another big demonstration against the lockdown yesterday.

Not very nordic.

Tom

Nobody in my mom's nursing home had a severe reaction to the vaccine. Such things are extremely rare. I've had both doses, with only mild side effects from the second one and I'm over 70. I have several friends my age who had no side effects. My sister and her husband ran mild fevers for about 24 hours, after their 2nd dose. After that, no problems. That's just a small sample, but other than mild side effects, these vaccines are safe for the vast majority of people.

I'm sorry that your mother had a bad reaction, but such reactions was rare. And, I'd rather be in bed for a couple of days than take my chances with an infection that has killed or disabled a huge number of people, not to mention that even those who don't require hospitalization. usually feel quite sick for at least a week or two.

Perhaps your mother shouldn't have the second dose, as the second dose is the one that tends to cause side effects, despite being the exact same vaccine as the first dose. There certainly are a small percentage of people who don't tolerate some vaccines well.

My neighbor just texted me to let me know that she got an appointment at our local hospital to have her first dose of the vaccine. She is 74 with many health problems. She is a little bit frightened as she also has numerous allergies, so she will bring her epipen with her, just in case. She feels safer getting her vaccine in the hospital since there will be plenty of medical professionals there in case of an emergency.

Nobody in my mom's nursing home had a severe reaction to the vaccine. Such things are extremely rare. I've had both doses, with only mild side effects from the second one and I'm over 70. I have several friends my age who had no side effects. My sister and her husband ran mild fevers for about 24 hours, after their 2nd dose. After that, no problems. That's just a small sample, but other than mild side effects, these vaccines are safe for the vast majority of people.

I'm sorry that your mother had a bad reaction, but such reactions was rare. And, I'd rather be in bed for a couple of days than take my chances with an infection that has killed or disabled a huge number of people, not to mention that even those who don't require hospitalization. usually feel quite sick for at least a week or two.

Perhaps your mother shouldn't have the second dose, as the second dose is the one that tends to cause side effects, despite being the exact same vaccine as the first dose. There certainly are a small percentage of people who don't tolerate some vaccines well.

My neighbor just texted me to let me know that she got an appointment at our local hospital to have her first dose of the vaccine. She is 74 with many health problems. She is a little bit frightened as she also has numerous allergies, so she will bring her epipen with her, just in case. She feels safer getting her vaccine in the hospital since there will be plenty of medical professionals there in case of an emergency.
I suspect that many of the people who have bad reactions to the first vaccine dose may have already been exposed to the COVID virus. My brother in law and sister were very ill early in 2020 with something that the local doctors couldn't diagnose, and I think it was COVID given their symptoms. He spent time in the hospital with it, and my sister missed several weeks of work.

He had his first vaccine dose a couple of weeks ago and it made him very ill. He is not looking forward to the second dose. Given his health issues (severe diabetes, kidney transplant, heart issues) he has his done in the hospital too.

Most of my family had very minor reactions to both doses. I am not expecting to have anything major after my second dose tomorrow.

Ruth

The possibility seems to be very low of having side effects bad enough to require medical attention. I thank all the people who stepped up when called and got the first doses before there was a track record. But now it seems like a no-brainer that it's worth taking the chance. I wish I could ask Dr. Fauci whether when someone does have a strong reaction it's likely to mean that if they'd got COVID before being vaccinated they would also have experienced a bad reaction. I mean, it just has to do with how sensitive your immune system is to this particular virus, right? The vaccine simulates a weakened version of the virus, so I'd think the response would be a similar although milder one. The way corona viruses spread I'm thinking it's just a matter of time before everyone gets infected.

The possibility seems to be very low of having side effects bad enough to require medical attention. I thank all the people who stepped up when called and got the first doses before there was a track record. But now it seems like a no-brainer that it's worth taking the chance. I wish I could ask Dr. Fauci whether when someone does have a strong reaction it's likely to mean that if they'd got COVID before being vaccinated they would also have experienced a bad reaction. I mean, it just has to do with how sensitive your immune system is to this particular virus, right? The vaccine simulates a weakened version of the virus, so I'd think the response would be a similar although milder one. The way corona viruses spread I'm thinking it's just a matter of time before everyone gets infected.

This morning we both have a red patch on the arm at the injection site. The Mrs. is still not 100% but I feel back to normal. If your theory is correct that previous exposure causes a more noticeable reaction it makes sense. The nurse who administered the second dose said that there would likely be a stronger reaction than after the first dose, and persons I've talked to who got the Moderna did have a reaction like ours. None of us have compromising conditions.

Also seeing more people out shopping without masks.

I watched a Walmart employee servicing a customer who's wife was also there but without a mask. So being the nebshit that I am I took it upon myself to ask why he serviced a person that was unmasked when the entrance to the store says that masks are required. He told me that if someone doesn't have a mask on it doesn't matter, that the sign isn't enforced. He said if a customer gets too close he asks them to please step away but that there is no enforcement of a mask policy.

But that's Walmart. I also regularly shop at Trader Joe's where mask policy is enforced at the door and in the store.

This morning we both have a red patch on the arm at the injection site. The Mrs. is still not 100% but I feel back to normal. If your theory is correct that previous exposure causes a more noticeable reaction it makes sense. The nurse who administered the second dose said that there would likely be a stronger reaction than after the first dose, and persons I've talked to who got the Moderna did have a reaction like ours. None of us have compromising conditions.

Just to be clear, I didn't mean that a previous exposure to the virus possibly causes a more noticeable reaction to the vaccine. I meant that one's reaction to the vaccine might indicate how one would have reacted to the virus if one never got vaccinated. In other words avoiding the vaccine because you are worried about the side effects is probably a mistake because a severe reaction might just serve to confirm that getting infected by the actual virus would have been much, much worse. Likewise a mild reaction to the vaccine might mean that you would have only gotten a mild case of COVID and the vaccine might have been unnecessary. But it's just my conjecture.

Also seeing more people out shopping without masks.

I watched a Walmart employee servicing a customer who's wife was also there but without a mask. So being the nebshit that I am I took it upon myself to ask why he serviced a person that was unmasked when the entrance to the store says that masks are required. He told me that if someone doesn't have a mask on it doesn't matter, that the sign isn't enforced. He said if a customer gets too close he asks them to please step away but that there is no enforcement of a mask policy.

But that's Walmart. I also regularly shop at Trader Joe's where mask policy is enforced at the door and in the store.

I get that store clerks shouldn't have to confront a person without a mask but Walmart have security in the store all the time and they should deal with it. What are the mask regulations in PA or your locality? Is masking in a store required by the government or just Walmart? Either way Security should be called. That's what security is for.

I also get that small shops can't afford their own security but most small shops are in strip malls and they should pool their resources to have a security person to deal with maskless shoppers.

I'm sorry that your mother had a bad reaction, but such reactions was rare.

Maybe in your anecdotal experience it's rare. By in mine, it's the norm.

I'm confident that my mother-in-law spent a few weeks getting over C19. That was back around Thanksgiving. But it's kinda hard to tell for sure because testing was hard to get then. And she has so many underlying conditions, it's difficult to distinguish between a serious illness and a bad day. She did test positive in January.

I thought she and I had an agreement about the vaccine. When her doctor recommends it, she'll get it. But her doctor hasn't ever done so. Some church lady friend of hers talked her into doing it. So, she did. Messed her up.

What am I supposed to do? A gullible old lady that I care about didn't listen to me or her doctor because a Trumpish church lady got to her. Now, with more information, she realizes that her conservative church lady friends don't know what their talking about.

But she's already done one dose. Messed her up, for no apparent reason. Should she do the second, worse, dose? How bad will that one be?

Better than not? Given her exact situation?
Her doctor hasn't recommended it. Are some TFT medicos going to give me medical advice for my mother-in-law that her doctor won't give?

That's what I'm seeing.

How about TFT members stop giving medical advice in a global viral crisis?
Tom

You say earlier in the thread that the virus itself was much worse than the first dose, but here say that you couldn't tell if she had the virus in November because she already has bad days anyway. Why then are you so sure that the first dose "messed her up"?

I'll agree with you 100% that she should consult with her physician about the second dose.

You say earlier in the thread that the virus itself was much worse than the first dose, but here say that you couldn't tell if she had the virus in November because she already has bad days anyway. Why then are you so sure that the first dose "messed her up"?

I'll agree with you 100% that she should consult with her physician about the second dose.

Getting all advice possible is good but that doesn't mean that all advice is good advice. I've learned a helluva lot from non-professionals over my life, some of it very good and helpful, in one case just about life-saving.

Back
Top Bottom