• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The women's march shows it's true colors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toni, please note that ideas I disagreed with before that were espoused by a female feminist are not suddenly going to be more appealing when I hear them from a male feminist.

This is the most visual manifestation of patriarchal privilege and that is why it is especially angering. It says to everyone, “I find this comfortable and I am a man so my comfort comes before all else in this entire universe and especially you.” That’s why people hate this. It’s because men are saying that they don’t care about anyone else, and that is awful. They think that it is somehow manly, by claiming their territory. That is not manly. A real man is courteous and thinks of others and only takes as much as he is allowed. That’s what we need to tell our sons.

I do so enjoy being told what a "real man" is from a male feminist. I'll accept his gender essentialising without question because penis.

If people stared at women who were spreading their legs, it's because people intuitively understand that the posture is actually quite strange for a female-bodied person. Indeed, the woman doing the spreading didn't even find the posture physically comfortable.

I grew up being told to keep my knees together so I don’t think you actually know what you’re talking about.

I can see why a snowflake would confuse sarcasm with goading, but not a defender of liberal values.

I've been banned before for "goading" you Mr. Snowflake, when you said something "orwellian". That was too much for these mods to tolerate. But goading Metaphor with references to sexual abuse isn't. Nor was Floof's mocking of genitalia or your constant snide sniping from the shadows. Not exactly an unbiased or FreeThought forum as advertised.
Given your demonstrated penchant for confusing sarcasm with goading, there is every reason to believe your claims are baded on confusion, not fact.

Toni, please note that ideas I disagreed with before that were espoused by a female feminist are not suddenly going to be more appealing when I hear them from a male feminist.

I do so enjoy being told what a "real man" is from a male feminist. I'll accept his gender essentialising without question because penis.

If people stared at women who were spreading their legs, it's because people intuitively understand that the posture is actually quite strange for a female-bodied person. Indeed, the woman doing the spreading didn't even find the posture physically comfortable.

I grew up being told to keep my knees together so I don’t think you actually know what you’re talking about.

Did you watch the footage of the 'womanspreading'? She did not look physically comfortable. Being told to keep your knees together does not mean women would splay 180 degrees without the proscription.

A high school girl on the tram today was seated and had her feet on the opposite-facing seat while people stood. It might be reasonable to conclude she was comfortable that way. It might be reasonable to conclude she didn't give a shit about inconvenciening others.

But it wouldn't be reasonable to conclude this was a territory-marking behaviour designed specifically to intimidate men and control public space.

How does that rebut anything? You don't know the genders of everyone that uses that work area. Note, also, that medical gloves that are a size big are no big deal.

The problem is not with asserting rights. The problem is with expecting more than equality. (For example, expecting there to be no consequence for childbearing.)

Ask Metaphor. He’s the one who said there were only size S and M gloves? So the world revolves around women, apparently. Yes it’s daft but.....

I think most women would be happy to have exactly the same career consequences of having children that men have.

So, you think most mothers want to increase the hours they spend at work after giving birth, the way that most new fathers spend more hours at work after the birth of their child?

In Australia, when men ask for flexible work, they are twice as likely to be turned down as women are.

Curiously (or perhaps not), the feminist who wrote an article that included this fact concluded that 'men suck at asking for flexible work'. Of course, when women are more likely to get a negative reaction when asking for a raise compared to men, it isn't women who suck at asking for a raise. It's the patriarchy keeping women down.

It's not a double standard. I did not insist that public transport cater more to men while also insisting that toilet space should remain equal. I am merely observing reality.

You said that if public seating were better designed to suit men, there'd be less manspreading. This is in contrast to you not saying that if public toilet provision was better designed to suit women, there'd be less queuing. It's an obvious double standard.

I didn't.

Saying that the problem of women having to queue more for toilets is to do with nature and not society is dismissive, inconsistent (see above) and a false dichotomy in any case.

Last edited:
You said that if public seating were better designed to suit men, there'd be less manspreading. This is in contrast to you not saying that if public toilet provision was better designed to suit women, there'd be less queuing. It's an obvious double standard.

How about you concentrate on what I do say and not what I haven't said. Or would mean you are less often wrong.

Saying that the problem of women having to queue more for toilets is to do with nature and not society is dismissive, inconsistent (see above) and a false dichotomy in any case.

Public seating is more suited to women than men. This probably isn't a conspiracy of any kind, but more to do with women being smaller, space being limited, and a mental block on designers who seem to believe people haven't grown since the 1950s.

Men's toilets have exploited men's efficiency in urinating, which is why, when toilets are equally sized, men have to wait less often than women. This is an interplay of biology and design and ideology. The unspoken ideology being that equal allocated size is equal treatment. Something public seating is also subject to.

Hey, so did anyone see that new Ghostbusters movie? Feminists forced us all to watch women play traditionally male roles in that movie. I was literally crying behind my popcorn.

It's like Dr Who. Sometimes it surprises you that women can do as good a job as a man in such situations. ;)

It must have been terrible for him, though, after switching genders, having to wait in those long lines.

Public seating is more suited to women than men. This probably isn't a conspiracy of any kind, but more to do with women being smaller, space being limited, and a mental block on designers who seem to believe people haven't grown since the 1950s.

Men's toilets have exploited men's efficiency in urinating, which is why, when toilets are equally sized, men have to wait less often than women. This is an interplay of biology and design and ideology. The unspoken ideology being that equal allocated size is equal treatment. Something public seating is also subject to.

At least that's slightly more nuanced now, but it's still a double standard. This isn't difficult. To not be a double standard, in other words to be consistent, you'd either have to have said that the problem with seating being too small for men is down to (male) nature/biology and not society, or you could have said that both toilet provision and public seating are down to human design.

Although you'd have been wrong in any case because it would be a false dichotomy anyway. That's what 'A and not B' is, when it isn't in fact just an either/or.

Hey, so did anyone see that new Ghostbusters movie? Feminists forced us all to watch women play traditionally male roles in that movie. I was literally crying behind my popcorn.

It's like Dr Who. Sometimes it surprises you that women can do as good a job as a man in such situations. ;)

It must have been terrible for him, though, after switching genders, having to wait in those long lines.

Chris Chibnall's Doctor can't do anything as well as her male predecessors.

A man-- Chris Chibnall-- killed Doctor Who. She may yet be resurrected by a writer with talent. Since Chibnall will probably ragequit for being a talentless imposter after one more season, those of us without time travel tech may not need to wait that long.

At least that's slightly more nuanced now, but it's still a double standard. This isn't difficult. To not be a double standard, in other words to be consistent, you'd either have to have said that the problem with seating being too small for men is down to (male) nature/biology and not society, or you could have said that both are down to human design.

They're both down to the interaction of society and biology.

I've been on road trips in remote country where the women and men have to pee in the bushes. Society did not dictate that women need to squat and hold to urinate. Nature imposed it.

Society did not dictate that women need to squat and hold to urinate. Nature imposed it.

Nature did not dictate either the size of public seats or public toilets.

They're both down to the interaction of society and biology.

That's fine, but is not at all what you initially said. On the one hand you 'observed' that a problem might be solved by being designed differently to suit men and on the other you said the problem for women was to do with nature not society. The cases are very similar, in that for both, 'more space' might help solve a certain problem. You applied a double standard.

Chris Chibnall's Doctor can't do anything as well as her male predecessors.

A man-- Chris Chibnall-- killed Doctor Who. She may yet be resurrected by a writer with talent. Since Chibnall will probably ragequit for being a talentless imposter after one more season, those of us without time travel tech may not need to wait that long.

The best female character on the show was Leela. None of what happened after she announced she was leaving was real.

So is this a vengeance thing then?

No, I think that some of the responders don't actually know what they are talking about. I think it is an ignorance thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom