• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The World-O-Meter Thread

grand totals are irrelevant at this point. Trend is important and you have a much bigger spike this time. Looks like your measures had not been enough for delta.
Our measures were enough for delta, at least three times now.

Gladys Binchicken's measures in New South Wales were too weak, too slow, and too poorly thought through. They were founded in complacency and political posturing, and ignored the clear expert advice of the state's health department.

NSW state politics has always been more about ego than fact, and the contrast between the prominence of the Chief Health Officers in other states and territories when announcing (and explaining the reasoning for) new restrictions, versus the NSW Health Minister refusing to let his CHO even speak to the media at one point (presumably for fear that she might publicly contradict him) is damning.
Russia is going nowhere too. Around my shithole 80% people don't care anymore.

The world is heading toward everyone eventually getting it, some dying, and a lot having permanent complications.

By the way, considering that AU is still serious about C19, I assume you still do the tracing. What does it tell?
What are the typical transmission scenarios? My impression is that 20% of people cause 80% of transmission.

In Queensland, tracing shows that schools and school children are the big vectors; But there's insufficient cases to build a detailed picture beyond that.

Victoria probably has the data you're looking for, but I haven't yet seen it published anywhere.

NSW fucked up by letting case numbers cross the threshold (from the published data, it seems this threshold was around the 100-120 new cases per day mark) above which contact tracing couldn't identify the source of newly detected cases within twenty four hours of the positive test.

As other states have demonstrated, a quick and severe lockdown to keep new case numbers to levels that contact tracing teams can handle is highly effective, even against delta (though it needs to be quicker, and harder, for delta).

Fannying about for a fortnight before ordering a lockdown that is inadequate in every way, and then wasting a month before finally imposing real restrictions, but not enforcing them, is a recipe for disaster. But Gladys promised Scotty from Marketing that she wouldn't make him look foolish in the run up to his reelection campaign by ordering measures that had been successful in Victoria, but derided by Scotty as draconian and unnecessary.

The most dangerous thing for Australia turned out to be political posturing by the Liberal Party. Labor states have done far better - Victoria is struggling (in large part due to the laxity of NSW), but still have only around 10% of the case numbers we're seeing in NSW. Victoria is teetering on the brink of having contact tracing overwhelmed; NSW crashed straight through that threshold, and is totally fucked.

With the amount of money US spends on C19 hospitalization. I wonder how much cheaper it would be to simply give everyone 3 weeks stay home paid leave but enforce compliance with the iron fist. 3 weeks of Everything that can be closed is closed. Just prepare for this lockdown and then execute it. When they tried lockdown in Russia in spring of 2020, people basically took it as an extremely long weekend.
I believe with careful preparation total lockdowns without significant disruption to the economy are possible.

In fact, assuming we survive this some time soon, I think the World should institute annual world wide lock-downs regardless of the the situation. Once or better twice a year 2 week long coordinated lock-downs, with the option to extend it in case of actual pandemic. Nothing moves, no concerts, no restaurants, just 2 weeks of watching TV/internet, reading books and walking in the park, and eating what you can cook yourself.

With the amount of money US spends on C19 hospitalization. I wonder how much cheaper it would be to simply give everyone 3 weeks stay home paid leave but enforce compliance with the iron fist. 3 weeks of Everything that can be closed is closed. Just prepare for this lockdown and then execute it. When they tried lockdown in Russia in spring of 2020, people basically took it as an extremely long weekend.
I believe with careful preparation total lockdowns without significant disruption to the economy are possible.

In fact, assuming we survive this some time soon, I think the World should institute annual world wide lock-downs regardless of the the situation. Once or better twice a year 2 week long coordinated lock-downs, with the option to extend it in case of actual pandemic. Nothing moves, no concerts, no restaurants, just 2 weeks of watching TV/internet, reading books and walking in the park, and eating what you can cook yourself.

Yeah, we don’t really do the “iron fist” thing. At least not domestically.

Yes you do. You just don't do it on paper.

The way many US police departments interact with the public looks a lot more like Russia, China, or North Korea than it looks like Australia, Sweden, or the UK.

And then you have a whole bunch of proxy Iron Fist types - what in Nazi Germany and the GDR were called 'blockleiters' or 'blockwarts' and in the US are called 'Homeowners Associations' or 'Karens'.

The degree of freedom in the 'land of the free' is sufficiently low as to strongly suggest that you guys don't know what 'freedom' even means. You appear to imagine that totalitarianism is perfectly OK, as long as it's not the explicit domain of your federal government.

Yes you do. You just don't do it on paper.

The way many US police departments interact with the public looks a lot more like Russia, China, or North Korea than it looks like Australia, Sweden, or the UK.

And then you have a whole bunch of proxy Iron Fist types - what in Nazi Germany and the GDR were called 'blockleiters' or 'blockwarts' and in the US are called 'Homeowners Associations' or 'Karens'.

The degree of freedom in the 'land of the free' is sufficiently low as to strongly suggest that you guys don't know what 'freedom' even means. You appear to imagine that totalitarianism is perfectly OK, as long as it's not the explicit domain of your federal government.
Well, you need to look russian police videos, not ones with protests, just ordinary arrests and stuff. Some are pretty funny in how much patience these guys have. Of course when guns and terrorism involved it's less funny. So I think in ordinary situations russian police is closer to british than to american. I am not talking about corruption, just the way they normally operate - pretty un-assertive.

Can someone explain to me what is the deal in the UK with their Covid Cases? They are currently in an elevated plateau, almost suggesting a quasi-static outbreak.

Russia's numbers are on the rise, record level daily death rate. Infection rate is increasing too.
Numbers get higher and higher.

I'm truly sorry, barbos. Not that it's a lot better around here...
Wondering how you feel about your government's handling of the pandemic. Is it a crisis for them at all? Or are they vaxed, relaxed and just waiting for the bodies to be buried? Are the people upset, or simply resigned to it?

Russia's numbers are on the rise, record level daily death rate. Infection rate is increasing too.
Numbers get higher and higher.

I'm truly sorry, barbos. Not that it's a lot better around here...
Wondering how you feel about your government's handling of the pandemic. Is it a crisis for them at all? Or are they vaxed, relaxed and just waiting for the bodies to be buried? Are the people upset, or simply resigned to it?
I would say they just got used to bad news. Lots of famous people got sick, some died. Government seems to be afraid to be assertive in vaccination. So much for dictatorship :)
I think this crap will run its course and there is nothing can be done about it. Lets hope long Covid is not eternal, just long.

Numbers are not that bad compared to current numbers from other countries. It's just the fact that it's record high since the beginning and trend is not great.

Back
Top Bottom