• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Things that make you laugh...

I'm in a writing group. I'm writing a book on how to write. I figure that after I've written the book, I'll know how to write.

I recently submitted a chapter on how (and why) to write faster. In that chapter, I made this analogy or whatever:

I have an e-bike, a battery assisted bicycle.[1] Without the battery boost, I would cruise at eight miles an hour. With the boost on low, I could cruise at twelve miles an hour for the same effort. However, I don’t use the same effort. Because I’m going faster, I’m having more fun, so I work harder and go faster yet. I find myself cruising around fifteen miles an hour.

I ride longer too, because I’m having more fun. I ride maybe two hours instead of one. Thirty miles instead of eight.

Riding faster is more fun.

[1] It’s a recumbent tricycle, really, but this doesn’t affect the point.

I got some good feedback from the group.

My favorite feedback was something like this:

I just spent a thousand dollars on a bicycle, and now you're telling me I need a new one.

Evil Dr. Doofenshmirtz, head of Doofenshmirtz Evil Inc., is suspected of plotting to destroy Christmas because, as Major Monogram, the head of O.W.C.A. (Organization Without a Cool Acronym) puts it, " A wise man once said, "Evil never takes a holiday". We don't know what Doofenshmirtz is up to. But he's evil, and evil people hate Christmas." They send their best agent, Perry the Platypus, to infiltrate his base. Agent P is immediately captured and learns Doofenshmitrz is rather indifferent towards the holiday.

And then the carolers came to his door:

Evil Dr. Doofenshmirtz, head of Doofenshmirtz Evil Inc., is suspected of plotting to destroy Christmas because, as Major Monogram, the head of O.W.C.A. (Organization Without a Cool Acronym) puts it, " A wise man once said, "Evil never takes a holiday". We don't know what Doofenshmirtz is up to. But he's evil, and evil people hate Christmas." They send their best agent, Perry the Platypus, to infiltrate his base. Agent P is immediately captured and learns Doofenshmitrz is rather indifferent towards the holiday.

And then the carolers came to his door:
"Carolers will be criticised."

Back
Top Bottom