• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Things that make you laugh...

Did the phone select the first word “I”?

Let’s see, if I start it off with - “what”

“What’s your name again in a few years ago and I can see you again and I will see if you are in a new one or two years…”

Vs if I start with “perhaps”

“Perhaps not so many times but the last few years I haven’t had any problems and have had no problems at the time so I think it’s time for a change and see how …”

So, is it all going to converge somehow?
🤣
It will all make sense by the end of season 2 and some googling.

Hot Wheels

Growing up in the 1960’s in our house in Silver Spring we drank a lot of Hawaiian Punch and Hi-C fruit punch. In 1968 Mattel’s Hot Wheels toy cars came out and were all the rage. Then my brother John and I saw this “Special Offer” from Hi-C. Since we didn’t have any Hot Wheels we pleaded with Mom, “Look, they’re only 50 cents! It says so on the back of the can . . .”

It also said that with the 50 cents, you had to send in “the large word “Hi-C” clipped from the front of six 48-oz, size cans of any flavor of Hi-C Fruit Punch.” The offer specifically said, “select from these four cars . . . each with collector’s button.”

John and I insisted that we had to have all four of the cars offered. Because 50 cents each! Twenty-four 48-ounce cans of fruit punch. Even at ages 9 and 6, that must have taken us weeks to compile all of the required can labels. However long it took, the labels were clipped, two dollars were added to the envelope and off it went to St. Paul, Minnesota.

And we waited. And waited. Perhaps it took us way too long to drink all that fruit punch. Perhaps we didn’t start collecting the labels until late in the offer period. Who knows. And waited. Finally, Mom had had enough of our waiting and checking the mail and dealing with her kids hopped up on fruit punch, so she called St. Paul, Minnesota. I have no idea how she figured out whom to call, perhaps she called everyone in the City.

Eventually a beat-up manilla envelop arrived! It had four Hot Wheels cars inside!! But wait, where were the collector buttons? And wait, these cars don’t match those on the back of the can!?! And wait, these cars seem to have been played with . . .

No matter, John and I had Hot Wheels – we were happy!

Somewhere in or near St. Paul, there are sons of some Hi-C executive from the late 1960’s. These sons still wonder to this day what happened to four of the Hot Wheels cars from their childhood collection . . . after their father took a certain phone call from Silver Spring, Maryland.

Attachments

• Hi C front.jpg
    Hi C front.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 1
  • Hi C back.jpg
    Hi C back.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 1
  • detail Hi C offer.jpg
    detail Hi C offer.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 1
Hot Wheels

Growing up in the 1960’s in our house in Silver Spring we drank a lot of Hawaiian Punch and Hi-C fruit punch. In 1968 Mattel’s Hot Wheels toy cars came out and were all the rage. Then my brother John and I saw this “Special Offer” from Hi-C. Since we didn’t have any Hot Wheels we pleaded with Mom, “Look, they’re only 50 cents! It says so on the back of the can . . .”

It also said that with the 50 cents, you had to send in “the large word “Hi-C” clipped from the front of six 48-oz, size cans of any flavor of Hi-C Fruit Punch.” The offer specifically said, “select from these four cars . . . each with collector’s button.”

John and I insisted that we had to have all four of the cars offered. Because 50 cents each! Twenty-four 48-ounce cans of fruit punch. Even at ages 9 and 6, that must have taken us weeks to compile all of the required can labels. However long it took, the labels were clipped, two dollars were added to the envelope and off it went to St. Paul, Minnesota.

And we waited. And waited. Perhaps it took us way too long to drink all that fruit punch. Perhaps we didn’t start collecting the labels until late in the offer period. Who knows. And waited. Finally, Mom had had enough of our waiting and checking the mail and dealing with her kids hopped up on fruit punch, so she called St. Paul, Minnesota. I have no idea how she figured out whom to call, perhaps she called everyone in the City.

Eventually a beat-up manilla envelop arrived! It had four Hot Wheels cars inside!! But wait, where were the collector buttons? And wait, these cars don’t match those on the back of the can!?! And wait, these cars seem to have been played with . . .

Somewhere in or near St. Paul, there are sons of some Hi-C executive from the late 1960’s. These sons still wonder to this day what happened to four of the Hot Wheels cars from their childhood collection . . . after their father took a certain phone call from Silver Spring, Maryland.

You reminded me of once when I was perhaps 12 years old I had saved up box tops, I forget what, and sent them off for a toy Batman Mobile. It never came.

Hot Wheels

You reminded me of once when I was perhaps 12 years old I had saved up box tops, I forget what, and sent them off for a toy Batman Mobile. It never came.
We used to save bread bags, milk tops (the aluminium ones from milk bottles, and cigarette packets and take them to school. The school would send them off snd we would get books for the library or something.

More recently, you would get tickets or stickers from supermarkets and return them. We got some sports equipment out of the process.

Our Old PE teacher would get the kids to return all the poppers and other 10c containers and return them for cash and buy handballs etc.

Hot Wheels

So sorry 😢

Back
Top Bottom