• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Things that make you laugh...

Imagine Wayne Brady doing improv of Samuel L Jackson and Quentin Tarantino working on a new script alone inside their living rooms.

Historical reference:

Hot Wheels

Growing up in the 1960’s in our house in Silver Spring we drank a lot of Hawaiian Punch and Hi-C fruit punch. In 1968 Mattel’s Hot Wheels toy cars came out and were all the rage. Then my brother John and I saw this “Special Offer” from Hi-C. Since we didn’t have any Hot Wheels we pleaded with Mom, “Look, they’re only 50 cents! It says so on the back of the can . . .”

It also said that with the 50 cents, you had to send in “the large word “Hi-C” clipped from the front of six 48-oz, size cans of any flavor of Hi-C Fruit Punch.” The offer specifically said, “select from these four cars . . . each with collector’s button.”

John and I insisted that we had to have all four of the cars offered. Because 50 cents each! Twenty-four 48-ounce cans of fruit punch. Even at ages 9 and 6, that must have taken us weeks to compile all of the required can labels. However long it took, the labels were clipped, two dollars were added to the envelope and off it went to St. Paul, Minnesota.

And we waited. And waited. Perhaps it took us way too long to drink all that fruit punch. Perhaps we didn’t start collecting the labels until late in the offer period. Who knows. And waited. Finally, Mom had had enough of our waiting and checking the mail and dealing with her kids hopped up on fruit punch, so she called St. Paul, Minnesota. I have no idea how she figured out whom to call, perhaps she called everyone in the City.

Eventually a beat-up manilla envelop arrived! It had four Hot Wheels cars inside!! But wait, where were the collector buttons? And wait, these cars don’t match those on the back of the can!?! And wait, these cars seem to have been played with . . .

No matter, John and I had Hot Wheels – we were happy!

Somewhere in or near St. Paul, there are sons of some Hi-C executive from the late 1960’s. These sons still wonder to this day what happened to four of the Hot Wheels cars from their childhood collection . . . after their father took a certain phone call from Silver Spring, Maryland.

You reminded me of once when I was perhaps 12 years old I had saved up box tops, I forget what, and sent them off for a toy Batman Mobile. It never came.
I sent a lot of boxtops as a kid to get random toys, etc. It taught you patience, if nothing else. There was always a clause, like, "Please allow 4-6 weeks for delivery". That was an eternity when you're 9 years old. I'll bet some companies purposely set a long wait on delivery with the expectation that the kids would forget about it, and they could avoid sending it at all.

Hot Wheels

Growing up in the 1960’s in our house in Silver Spring we drank a lot of Hawaiian Punch and Hi-C fruit punch. In 1968 Mattel’s Hot Wheels toy cars came out and were all the rage. Then my brother John and I saw this “Special Offer” from Hi-C. Since we didn’t have any Hot Wheels we pleaded with Mom, “Look, they’re only 50 cents! It says so on the back of the can . . .”

It also said that with the 50 cents, you had to send in “the large word “Hi-C” clipped from the front of six 48-oz, size cans of any flavor of Hi-C Fruit Punch.” The offer specifically said, “select from these four cars . . . each with collector’s button.”

John and I insisted that we had to have all four of the cars offered. Because 50 cents each! Twenty-four 48-ounce cans of fruit punch. Even at ages 9 and 6, that must have taken us weeks to compile all of the required can labels. However long it took, the labels were clipped, two dollars were added to the envelope and off it went to St. Paul, Minnesota.

And we waited. And waited. Perhaps it took us way too long to drink all that fruit punch. Perhaps we didn’t start collecting the labels until late in the offer period. Who knows. And waited. Finally, Mom had had enough of our waiting and checking the mail and dealing with her kids hopped up on fruit punch, so she called St. Paul, Minnesota. I have no idea how she figured out whom to call, perhaps she called everyone in the City.

Eventually a beat-up manilla envelop arrived! It had four Hot Wheels cars inside!! But wait, where were the collector buttons? And wait, these cars don’t match those on the back of the can!?! And wait, these cars seem to have been played with . . .

Somewhere in or near St. Paul, there are sons of some Hi-C executive from the late 1960’s. These sons still wonder to this day what happened to four of the Hot Wheels cars from their childhood collection . . . after their father took a certain phone call from Silver Spring, Maryland.

You reminded me of once when I was perhaps 12 years old I had saved up box tops, I forget what, and sent them off for a toy Batman Mobile. It never came.
I sent a lot of boxtops as a kid to get random toys, etc. It taught you patience, if nothing else. There was always a clause, like, "Please allow 4-6 weeks for delivery". That was an eternity when you're 9 years old. I'll bet some companies purposely set a long wait on delivery with the expectation that the kids would forget about it, and they could avoid sending it at all.

I think about that Batmobile I never got sometimes. I wish I could remember the company whose boxtops I saved.

Hot Wheels

I think about that Batmobile I never got sometimes. I wish I could remember the company whose boxtops I saved.
There, there (pats CF on head). Its time to let go.

Funny how times change. When I was a kid grocery shopping with my mom, I would head straight to the cereal isle to check out the latest in free toys inside the cereal boxes. Usually, there would be about 5 other kids there as well with the same idea. Now nuthin'. No toys in cereal, and no kids in the cereal aisle. I tell ya, the world has gone to hell in a handbasket.

I've saved and sent in SO many boxtops. My kids had to collect "Boxtops For Education" in the early 2000s. They got nothing as a result, maybe a happy teacher, I'm not sure.

I saw a Batmobile in 1989, parked outside of my new retail cheap jewelry store in a mall for a week, for some movie or event. I called all the other stores in my district and asked them to ship their Batman-related merch to my store immediately. That junk wasn't selling. But, with an actual Batmobile directly outside of my mall store, and my nonstop enthusiasm, we sold out of every Batman pin and earring and bandana. It was all gone before that Batmobile promotion ended.

I'm afraid that being almost an old fart, the batmobile I never got was from the 1960's Edam West TV show.
Yeah, that's where ours came from. There were several Batmobiles used in filming the show. I can ask my friend the Pop Cult blogger whose memory may be better than mine regarding this specific Batmobile in the Kanawha Mall in 1989.

I'm afraid that being almost an old fart, the batmobile I never got was from the 1960's Edam West TV show.
That show was so cheesy
Sure. But to a 10 year old, Batman, Lost in Space, Gilligan's Island, McHale's Navy, F Troop, they were great even if I saw them as reruns. What other shows like that?

A few months ago we started watching Space 1999. God what a horrible show that was. But at the time I thought it was great.

That show was so cheesy
Sure. But to a 10 year old, Batman, Lost in Space, Gilligan's Island, McHale's Navy, F Troop, they were great even if I saw them as reruns. What other shows like that?

A few months ago we started watching Space 1999. God what a horrible show that was. But at the time I thought it was great.
I was just making an “Edam West” joke.

That show was so cheesy

I guess I still don't get the joke. I've never been good at getting jokes.

heya @crazyfingers - if you aren't sure of a joke's meaning, look for absurdity, and, try an online search to gain contextual information. Consider the source, as the level of absurdity or humor could be related to something about the joke-teller.

Sometimes, it is a matter of media and memory. For example, a joke about Superman might have different effect if told in relation to Jerry Seinfeld. But only TV-watching people who remembered the Seinfeld show might know why that's funny. Or, people who knew that Jerry Seinfeld is a fan of Superman, and/or that Jerry kept a Superman figure or small statue in at least one shot of every episode might have even more emotions regarding how a Superman joke might be a lot wilder in a Seinfeld context.

Crickets from anyone who did not see or does not know, yes. But other Superman-related jokes can still be amusing to those who have some awareness of Superman. This could be why the most famous joke about Superman has nothing to do with Jerry Seinfeld, and surely existed long before Jerry did. My version of the epic punchline is:
Superman, you sure are a mean drunk.

Don't be afraid to ask people what they mean, too. Hey, I wanna laugh, who doesn't? (SEE IIDB MEMBER LIST).

That was a joke. In person, I'm HOH, and I need to hear the same exact words repeated with the same exact inflection, aloud, if I am to truly follow along with some speakers. Online, since I can't hear well or read lips when I listen to a joke or a song, autocorrect is often so wrong that it makes a secondary joke by being wrong. ooh that rhymes.

Some jokes just need context that can't be had due to language and culture, not to mention age and media consumption, just for a few reasons.

That show was so cheesy

You meant “Adam” West, but wrote “Edam”.

"View the very balcony where the fictional Juliet once called for her Romeo."

I don't entirely know how to interpret that sentence.

Back
Top Bottom