• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Things that make you laugh...

At a family gathering, an outdoor picnic, the conversation turns to cicadas, the 2024 co-emergence of both the 17 and the 13 year broods. My sister-in-law says "gee, wonder when that last happened?" My brother (Georgia Tech math major) responds: "um, that would have been (calculating in his head) 1803." She just stares at him. "They're prime numbers" he adds, goes back to his grilled chicken . . . . .

(I add nothing about why evolution led to the prime numbers . . . . it was a family gathering with churching going family members)

In college for my degree in architecture, first year class: History of Architecture Part 1 (Egypt, Greece, Rome). My professor gave lectures with Kodak slides in carousels (it was 1978). For the exams, he would hand out those little composition exam books, and put a selection of the slides from that semester in the tray set on auto advance. When a new slide came up, each of us had a minute to write at least 3 facts (name, year, significance, etc) about the architecture in the slide, then the next slide would drop. The slides were numbered and the tray would go around a few times.

During the Egypt portion of the class we learned about Queen Hatshepsut's Mortuary Temple.

Back to the day of the exam, a fellow student asked, "Does spelling count?" Our professor responded "It's dark in the lecture hall, and you only have a few minutes with each image. So, if I can tell what you mean you'll get credit."

Then he smiled and added, "For Queen Hatshepsut I gave credit to a student who wrote: "Queen Hot-Chicken-Soup"."

Il_tempio_di_Hatshepsut.JPG

A friend of mine kept asking, when studying that building, why it seemed so familiar? Someone else in that class had the same question.

The answer is that it seemed familiar because they had played Serious Sam.

Back
Top Bottom