• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Things that make you laugh...

I am an architect and many years ago I did an interiors project that had a lot of build-in furniture. The contractor sent my drawings to a millwork shop to develop the detailed cabinetry drawings for approval (by the client and myself) prior to construction of the mill work in a shop. When the "shop" drawings arrived at my office for review (they were beautifully drawn) I noticed that the millwork shop had a logo that looked like a fireman's axe and what appeared to be two cannon balls connected by a chain that looped over the handle of the axe. I completed my sign-off and sent the shop drawings along to the client. But I just had to call and ask about the logo.

So I called, the person that answered forwarded my call to one of the owners. I told him who I was, he asked if the drawings were okay, I said yes, I have no comments, other than the drawings look great . . . but can you tell me about your logo? He chuckled softly and said: "My brother and I started this business 20 years ago. Five years in we had reached a measure of success and were doing well, we had this shop space with the wood storage separated from the machine and fabrication shop by a brick wall with a single opening and this huge old fire door on a slanted overhead track. It was counterbalanced and held open by these huge iron balls on a chain. The chain had a special link it in, in the event of fire the link would burn-through and the door would close off one side from the other. Well, we had a fire one weekend. And we had gotten sloppy, and we had left the big shop cart in the opening. On Monday morning it was cool enough we could survey what was left. One of the firemen had left a brand-new axe in the ashes. I picked it up by the end of the handle and was just sort of dragging it behind me. We got to what was left of the cart in the doorway and I looped the head of the axe under the chain that connected the iron balls. My brother said, "You know, we'd have to have balls that big to restart this.""

I am an architect
I would have loved to have become an architect. I won several awards for my mechanical drawings in high school. But I was stymied by algebra. I'm sure the higher level mathematics would have doomed me.

121218964_148519886942676_1736373029351596215_n.png

Back
Top Bottom