• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Things that make you laugh...

Came home and found a new dishwasher in the kitchen.
I didn't order a dishwasher...

Turns out, someone at 133 My Street bought a dishwasher. The service guy somehow installed it at my house, 93 My Street.

Didn't really need a new one, the boss said he'd make me a hell of a deal, no charge for installation, if i bought the new machine, so he wouldn3have to come rip it out again.
Okay by me.
He thanked me for my patience and understanding. But all i can think of is that someone spent the afternoon at 133 and still hasn't gotten their dishwasher. They're gonna rip someone's teeth out....

Turns out, someone at 133 My Street bought a dishwasher. The service guy somehow installed it at my house, 93 My Street.

Didn't really need a new one, the boss said he'd make me a hell of a deal, no charge for installation, if i bought the new machine, so he wouldn3have to come rip it out again.
Okay by me.
He thanked me for my patience and understanding. But all i can think of is that someone spent the afternoon at 133 and still hasn't gotten their dishwasher. They're gonna rip someone's teeth out....

Nah, it's a sales technique. You reckon you got a great deal, but I bet it was more than cost. The guy at 133 got a dishwasher he didn't order too - and they told him it was supposed to go to number 93...

Nah, it's a sales technique. You reckon you got a great deal, but I bet it was more than cost. The guy at 133 got a dishwasher he didn't order too - and they told him it was supposed to go to number 93...
Need more salesmen like this, then.
Home Depot says this model is $799.99. I paid $350.00. No installation fee. If he's making any profit on this, he's welcome to it.

Home Depot says this model is $799.99. I paid $350.00. No installation fee. If he's making any profit on this, he's welcome to it.

Made in china for $50 ;)

Made in china for $50 ;)
Yeah, but _I_ can't get it from China for $50...

Okay by me.

I think the most disturbing part of this story is how some rando appliance installer got into your (supposedly) locked house. Or if someone was home, how/why they let this guy in to replace something that didn't need replacing. That would bug the hell out of me. How do you know he didn't go rooting around in your kinky underwear drawer?

I think the most disturbing part of this story is how some rando appliance installer got into your (supposedly) locked house. Or if someone was home, how/why they let this guy in to replace something that didn't need replacing. That would bug the hell out of me. How do you know he didn't go rooting around in your kinky underwear drawer?
Because

MY

Kinky boot drawer has barbed wire...

Also, my son was home, just figured 'asshole parents never tell me nuthin' about what's goin' on in this house, just assumed I'd be here when they scheduled this, don't know what was wrong with the last one...'

We used to put PreFaulted Modules in the training fire control system to induce faults. Something with a strategically placed open or ground that would cause the system to break in predictable ways. Then we'd use that failure to teach the students how to troubleshoot faults. Eventually, they'd isolate the faulted module and replace it.

We've since gone mostly to electronic faults. The system programming is changed to produce the proper indications for improper operation. We don't have to troubleshoot all the way to the module, as long as they show they have the idea, they understand the procedure. We can just turn it off.

Well, we still have those PreFaulted Modules. A couple, here and there. Found a way to use them during a seminar, to induce an actual ground so that when we hook up the multimeter, we see the actual indications of a ground (with the software faults, the instructor has to pretend. "Okay, yes, you see isolation here, but let's you saw only 30K ohms of resistance between these two points....").

So, I wrote up the report about the trip, submitted it, and am getting yelled at. Where I said we inserted a PFM to create a fault, the department head is angry that after all the money and time spent on perfecting the documentation, I suggest that troubleshooting is Pure Fucking Magic.

Was just reminded, my oldedt son's first word was 'Dada.' 'Mama' was his second. Kinda bothered his mom.

But her mood improved when we later realized 'mama' was his word for 'parent.'

He used 'dada' for anyone who fed him...

Coworker forgot his wallet when he drove the kids to school. Realized it when he went to give them lunch money. Went home.
Forgot his badge when he drove to work. Realized it when he went to go through the security gate. Went home.
His phone vibrated, so he checked his watch that displays incoming texts. He forgot his watch. He's NOT going home for it.

Incautiously complained to the rest of us, "I forgot my watch. Now when I get a text, I have to check my phone like a goddamned savage."

So now, everyone's sending him texts, We see him check his wrist, swear at the reflex, check his phone: "Sorry to hear about your watch." More swearing... Most fun we've had all day.

Mine is an engineering-based company, and we're celebrating Engineer Week coming up.

They just sent out an email asking for volunteers to coordinate two events. To improve participation they added that "Food will be available at both events!"

One is trivia night. One is the annual employee breakfast.

I wonder, sometimes, about a company that does things like, feels a need to point out that food will be available at breakfast...

Well, there's a reason the stereotype says that engineering types are good at math & sciency stuff, but suck at 'soft' stuff like English.... :p

A Humanities major would probably have found a better way to phrase it.

Evidently, I'm famous...

Three of my supervisors are participating in a proposal effort. The company is compiling data in order to make a competitive bid on some project, they're there to talk about training for the effort.
One of the leaders there asked one of the people in our Leadership Mentoring program how he likes GD. He started talking about a guy in a dinosaur suit handing out lollipops. Quite excited about it, apparently.
Leader: Dino... Like, a dinosaur t-shirt?
Mented: No, a t-rex costume. It was great. He didn't ask if I worked in that unit or anything, just gave me a lollipop.
Leader: A dinosaur costume? Was it in the parking lot?
Mented: No, it was in Documentation.
My supervisor: I know that guy.
Leader turned to her: Who the hell wore a dinosaur suit HERE?
Super: It was Keith-"
Leader: Oh. Him. (laughs) So, anyway, have you been in a lab, yet?

Someone said the Proposal effort is a 'shenanigans free zone.'

I am apparently the only person in our office who heard that and did NOT think: That means shenanigans are prohibited up there.'

I took it as a complaint that the area was shenanigan-deficient. Something that needed correcting. So I gave a participant a bucket of plastic dinosaurs. "Spread 'em around, have fun," I told him.

They did not have fun. They've apparently spent the better part of two hours arguing whether the archaeopteryx figure is, or is not, a dinosaur. And they're trying to determine whose goddamned idea the dinosaur toys were.

I may not get the bucket back.

Well, there's a reason the stereotype says that engineering types are good at math & sciency stuff, but suck at 'soft' stuff like English.... :p

A Humanities major would probably have found a better way to phrase it.
Yeah, one of my supervisors once referred to a suggestion as 'guilding the lily.'
I pointed out that flowers do not typically organize into protective networks.
He reissued the comment, saying it was 'gelding the lily.'

There's a reason engineers aren't allowed to interface with the customers...

Manager of our sister unit was dreading a particular meeting today.
We asked if there was any way he could get out of it, if it was going to be such an ordeal.

"No, I have to go. My coworkers are going and they might try to contribute."

Back
Top Bottom