• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Things that make you laugh...

Work has mounted big-screen TVs all thru the plant. Every entrance, every major intersection, the odd corner...
Can't go anywhere without seeing a PSA. Like the location of smoke shacks assembly areas, know your evacuation path (with an example map for evacuating the Safety Department's Office), symbols of HAZMAT, security classifications, and proper posture at the desk.
They chose to portray a woman at her desk for posture. A cartoon drawing of a seated woman in profile.
Proper posture requires high heels, i see, but the benefit this gives your bust cannot be ignored. Those pyramids jut out firmly, enhancing her sweater.
No one wants to discuss the heels or the breast size resembling early Lara Croft. But, wow, say, 'Man, she is hot!' in the wrong part of the building and HR personnel run, actually run into the hall to talk about it. Not about the figure, of course, just SOMEone's insensitive reaction to, oh, it's you. Why aren't you working from home? Weren't you working from home?

Work has mounted big-screen TVs all thru the plant. Every entrance, every major intersection, the odd corner...
Can't go anywhere without seeing a PSA. Like the location of smoke shacks assembly areas, know your evacuation path (with an example map for evacuating the Safety Department's Office), symbols of HAZMAT, security classifications, and proper posture at the desk.
They chose to portray a woman at her desk for posture. A cartoon drawing of a seated woman in profile.
Proper posture requires high heels, i see, but the benefit this gives your bust cannot be ignored. Those pyramids jut out firmly, enhancing her sweater.
No one wants to discuss the heels or the breast size resembling early Lara Croft. But, wow, say, 'Man, she is hot!' in the wrong part of the building and HR personnel run, actually run into the hall to talk about it. Not about the figure, of course, just SOMEone's insensitive reaction to, oh, it's you. Why aren't you working from home? Weren't you working from home?
Of course the response to HR should be, "Hey, I'm not the one that put up that overly sexualized image of a female."

Last edited:
The old software on the self checkout machines at Home Depot (and other places, I presume) used to show an animation of a woman using the machine. She was built like Lara Croft. I figured some horny, video game playing 20-something software geek must have designed her. She is missing from the latest version of self checkout software. I guess they recently put some feminist in charge at that software company. :flooffrown:

Saw a Rubik's Cube today. Reminded me of the violent 70s. Bloody violent.

Used to be, you could unscrew one side of a Cube, and 26 sides fell out of the center.
Clever people would screw up a cube, take it out of the room, and bring it back, 'solutioned.' "Did it!"

Low hanging fruit.

I used to take two cubes apart, mix the parts and assemble one. Then i would wait until someone bragged, "I've gotten so good at the Cube, i can solve it within 10 minutes (or whatever)."
"Well, I studied the math. I figured out how to mix the cube up in a way that it can NOT be solved."
They scoffed always. Sometimes there was a wager.
"Ha! What you wanna bet?"

Sometimes it took them quite a while to realize there were 6 blue faces or 12 yellows or whatever....

God, i got beat up a lot in the violent 70s. Not by the nerds who couldn't solve it, but by the people who had made bets on their prowess. They got maaaaaad!

Used to be, you could unscrew one side of a Cube, and 26 sides fell out of the center.
Clever people would screw up a cube, take it out of the room, and bring it back, 'solutioned.' "Did it!"

Low hanging fruit.

I used to take two cubes apart, mix the parts and assemble one. Then i would wait until someone bragged, "I've gotten so good at the Cube, i can solve it within 10 minutes (or whatever)."
"Well, I studied the math. I figured out how to mix the cube up in a way that it can NOT be solved."

Sometimes it took them quite a while to realize there were 6 blue faces or 12 yellows or whatever....

God, i got beat up a lot in the violent 70s. Not by the nerds who couldn't solve it, but by the people who had made bets on their prowess. They got maaaaaad!
If you take a single block from the middle of one side, rotate it 180°, and replace it, the cube becomes unsolvable, despite still having the same number of each coloured square.

The company website encourages us to be willing to asdk for help.

I never ask for help. I fend help off. Everyone's knocking off for the day, i have two hours work ahead.
Guys i know and trust say, 'What are you doing?' And 'Can we help?'
No, i say, it's easier for me to do it thgan to explain what i need in way of support.

No, it's not. I'm spellchecking acronyms. Making sure the first time it's used in a lesson, it's expained. And correctly. The Preventive Maintenance Management Plan [PMMP] is, in various places, spelled out as:
  • Preventative or Prevention
  • Maintainer or Maintaining
  • Manager or Mangement (what the fuck is mangement? Treating a dog that's lost fur? The plan for treatment? Who writes this garbage)
  • Program or Planning
I do this alone because that way, right or wrong, they are at least consistent.
I belive they got this way because too many hands make a sort of game of misheard song lyrics.
Or nostalgia.
"But my first chief always called it 'Program.' Not 'Plan.'
Well, your first chief molests collies and xmells of elderberries.. Shut up and sit back, hands off the keyboard.

Low hanging fruit.

I never took a cube apart like that. The cube I had AFIAK the core did not come apart, but if you rotated a face 45 degrees you could then pry out the edge pieces and with enough edge pieces removed you could remove the corners.

Making an insolvable cube was easy--pry out one edge piece, reverse and replace. I do know there was some number of edge pieces that if flipped could still be solved but I do not recall the number. You don't need two cubes, you don't need to give them a wrong number of color squares.

My wife has worked for two years where i have been working for twenty.
Friday, someone mentioned having a Darth Vader waffle maker. Someone else asked how Darth Vader would eat waffles.
Wife: With a knife and Force, clearly.
They all groaned, then one said, 'YOU have been listening to Keith.'
Wife: (haughtily) Excuse me. KEITH has bern listening to ME.

She certainly does not need my help.

We compared Valentine's Day gifts at work.
Cards, letters, chocolate.
I announced that there were two Lego roses at my place this morning.

Dead silence.

Finally, "If i was told one guy in this unit got Lego flowers today, and had to guess, it'd be Keith."
"Got OR gave," someone added.
"Cheerfully," yet another marveled. "I gave plastic flowers ONCE..."

Was reminded of one of my junior sailors.

Back in the long ago, turnover of crews on the missile subs took three days. For those days, we, as the oncoming crew, slept on the auxiliary ship: the tender, or a barge. We ate on the tender, too. Since we were increasing their burden, we usually sent some of our personnel to help in the galley.

Jimmy had just reported to the sub, the Chief assigned him galley duty. First day, he reports to the tender galley. A cook there sends him to get hamburger buns for lunch. He goes to teh storeroom, gets all he can carry, brings them up. The cook points to the grill, says, "Put them there."

What he MEANT was 'open the plastic bags, take the cardboard trays out, take the buns out of the trays, put them face-down on the grill, toast them for assembling hamburgers for the speed line.'

Jimmy...did what he was ACTUALLY told. Put the hamburger buns on the algready-heated grill. Went to find a glass of water. As he was getting a drink, the plastic melted, the cardboard caught fire, the buns burned, they called away a fire in the galley, secured lunch, evacuated the compartment and several above and below it, secured power, used extinguishers...

Jimmy went back to the barge alongside and said, "Hey, Chief, they said they don't need anyone."
Chief: Okay.

Back
Top Bottom