• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

This week in patriarchy: Ukraine expels women and children so men can have combat to themselves

Status
Not open for further replies.
Frankly, no.
But i have stipulated 'always present.' I'll say the 'always' extends all the way back to Ur.
I have speculated that Ham was gay. Or maybe bi. Either way, Noah's reaction to being seen naked was all out of proprtion... except compared to a lot of sailors i've known, who joke about buttsex, but when you point out it's even possible a gay has seen them naked in the shower.
I wonder, now, if Abel might have been gay? Four people on Earth. Two are having the sex. Abel turns to the other and says, "Hey, we could try that?" Then Cain's trying to hide the body and telling himself, "It's because his sacrifices got all the attention!"

Anyway, I still say 'always allowed' is incorrect. Your own friend said it, he had to protect his peeps from the Army. Because it wasn't allowed.

So your 'always' goes back as far as, what, Clinton?
I was thinking Sparta and such.
Okay. I actually had WWII in mind. Which is odd, i didn't enlist until 80. But either way, 'always' still doesn't apply. Some militaries have, but not all.

Ever wonder how much rapey buttsecks the Crusaders got up to, while the wimmins were back home in chastity belts?
Tom
Capt. Oveur, I think you are getting off-topic here.

Frankly, no.
But i have stipulated 'always present.' I'll say the 'always' extends all the way back to Ur.
Can we go one thread without you railing on about military admission practices in Abram's hometown?

I've always been against the draft also. But most the wars that my country gets involved in are wars of choice. Probably not Afghanistan. But the Ukrainians are fighting for their homes. Some are forced to vacate on foot with young kids in the snow. I'd give them incredible latitude and grace. Many women are fighting in Ukraine also btw. Most will be killed.
I have no problem with men or women staying if they want to. I have a problem with Ukraine forbidding men from leaving.
I have a lot of problems that piss me off. I'm upset that my wife forgot to buy coffee yesterday (have to drink tea this morning). And then it's raining at my local ski mountain. So, can't ski. God dammit. But I'm dang sure not going to judge every action that a country makes that is under threat of total annihilation.
I have a far bigger problem with the State appropriating men's bodies than I do with missing out on coffee, but I suppose we include different things in our moral sphere of concern.
If you and I currently lived in Ukraine, I very much doubt that our major concerns right now would be the state appropriating men's bodies or missing out on coffee. When we are comfortable, it's easy to judge other who are desperate.
It beggars belief that you can imagine so. If I currently lived in the Ukraine, the idea that I would be forced to stay behind (and probably die) instead of having the option of fleeing with my family would concern me greatly.
I'm sure it would.

Me? I'm old and out of shape but I know enough chemistry to do some damage. I'd stay. But that's me.

So your 'always' goes back as far as, what, Clinton?
I was thinking Sparta and such.
Okay. I actually had WWII in mind. Which is odd, i didn't enlist until 80. But either way, 'always' still doesn't apply. Some militaries have, but not all.

Ever wonder how much rapey buttsecks the Crusaders got up to, while the wimmins were back home in chastity belts?
Tom
Capt. Oveur, I think you are getting off-topic here.

Everybody else gets to have fun in Metaphors threads.
Tom

Just curious... does Au allow gays to serve in their military?
LGBs were allowed in 1992, Ts allowed in 2010.
LGBs have always been allowed.
No, they most emphatically have not been allowed.
They've been present. They've served. They've probably been overrepresented among the services. But you can't say 'allowed.'
While some individuals would turn a blind eye, you couldn't count on it as a policy, even at a command level. If you got caught and someone went snakeshit, the system was on the shitty side. Even if the skipper was tolerant, he couldn't make his unit a tolerant unit.

I disagree. But all I have to go on, from the standpoint of "military experience", is my nephew.
He's recently retired Army E-8. Multiple tours in Iraq and Afghanistan. Seriously het. Seriously military.
He hated DADT.

He hated it because it meant protecting his men from the enemy while also protecting them from the Army.
Maybe he's an outlier, I don't know.
Tom
Most of the people my son has served with are fairly left wing--like, to the left of me. OTOH, a young woman I know who recently returned from a tour in the mideast belongs to a unit that seems fairly conservative in their political beliefs. I suppose it all depends. With regards to those I know who are currently serving, they are young enough that DADT means nothing to them.

I've always been against the draft also. But most the wars that my country gets involved in are wars of choice. Probably not Afghanistan. But the Ukrainians are fighting for their homes. Some are forced to vacate on foot with young kids in the snow. I'd give them incredible latitude and grace. Many women are fighting in Ukraine also btw. Most will be killed.
I have no problem with men or women staying if they want to. I have a problem with Ukraine forbidding men from leaving.
I have a lot of problems that piss me off. I'm upset that my wife forgot to buy coffee yesterday (have to drink tea this morning). And then it's raining at my local ski mountain. So, can't ski. God dammit. But I'm dang sure not going to judge every action that a country makes that is under threat of total annihilation.
I have a far bigger problem with the State appropriating men's bodies than I do with missing out on coffee, but I suppose we include different things in our moral sphere of concern.
If you and I currently lived in Ukraine, I very much doubt that our major concerns right now would be the state appropriating men's bodies or missing out on coffee. When we are comfortable, it's easy to judge other who are desperate.
It beggars belief that you can imagine so. If I currently lived in the Ukraine, the idea that I would be forced to stay behind (and probably die) instead of having the option of fleeing with my family would concern me greatly.
It would concern most people greatly. Doesn't mean they would disagree with it or refuse to defend their homeland from invaders.

When I was very young man, I had to register for the draft during the Vietnam War. I always wondered if I "won" the lottery, if I would have fled the USA or not. I suspect I would not have, but I never had to make that choice. I do know that if the USA had been invaded, I would have joined up to defend my homeland.

I gotta say, this is one of the most disgusting threads I've seen here. Criticizing Ukraine for their conscription policies (and getting it wrong, btw) while they are fighting for their very lives and their country and not saying word about the invading forces and terrorists atttacking them is just pure ugly. I will never understand how someone could appear to be so twisted to do so.

I gotta say, this is one of the most disgusting threads I've seen here. Criticizing Ukraine for their conscription policies (and getting it wrong, btw) while they are fighting for their very lives and their country and not saying word about the invading forces and terrorists atttacking them is just pure ugly. I will never understand how someone could appear to be so twisted to do so.
Well, if you think about it, Russians only threaten the people in front of their guns. And under their missiles, and treads, and tires. And downrange of the artillery. But ONLY them.

WOKEism threatens how ALL of us live our lives.

Tolerating Putin's lies about Nazis in Ukraine is nowhere near as harmful as my being forced, simply forced, into verbally condoning lies about what's in your underwear.

You don't understand. Banging on some individual transgender person and getting a false "satirical" swipe at feminists is much more important than discussing a real issue like invasion.

Well, your home isn't in Ukraine. You aren't there. So, we don't know for sure, do we? My only point is that i don't think we should judge a people for the short-term decisions that are made when they are desperate.
You are free to withhold your judgment, of course.

I will continue to find the draft unacceptable either way.

Of all the bemoaning done over isolated situations thousands of miles from your home, whining about tyranny... it is funny to read that you think you wouldn't be concerned with fighting actual tyranny at your doorstep.
I have no idea what you think you mean by this. Opposing the draft does not mean you oppose being in or having a military.

Seriously, is the draft now popular because Ukraine is using it? The new in thing to defend?

Of all the bemoaning done over isolated situations thousands of miles from your home, whining about tyranny... it is funny to read that you think you wouldn't be concerned with fighting actual tyranny at your doorstep.
Oh my gosh that's a great point that I totally didn't see at first. If Russia takes over Ukraine - there will be absolutely zero personal rights. None. Ukrainians taking a tiny portion of personal rights away for a short term in desperation pales to the rights that will be lost under Mad Vlad.
The world is united against Russia. Russia cannot take and keep Ukraine if the world opposes. There's no face-saving way for Putin to get out voluntarily so I imagine he will be driven out.

Irony dies again.
She's quite the phoenix isn't she?

The OP disguises that alleged concern well behind the blatantly false use of the term “expel” and the singular focus on one of your boring targets of ire - a trans person.

Sorry, your “satire” missed your alleged mark.
"Blatantly false". Yes, indeed, I would have marked it as a blatantly and screamingly over-the-top counterfactual statement, and yet even as blatant as it was, some people still did not get it.

You don't understand. Banging on some individual transgender person and getting a false "satirical" swipe at feminists is much more important than discussing a real issue like invasion.
You mean the draft isn't a real-life issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom