• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Today Donald Trump Came to My Town Just To Put His Foot In His Mouth and His Ass in a Sling

Trump is now wondering how much more of his money he is going to spend to lose.

I doubt it. He's more likely trying to figure out how much of the supposed $80m collected in July he will be able to keep for himself.

If Hillary (or any other politician in any other race that you will probably end up voting for) makes a similar spontaneous bad joke about killing their political opponent, should that person also be charged with a crime? In my own life, I have heard people make similar-themed jokes, and I would not be surprised if I have even made one or more myself (though would have been years ago, as I am not involved in this stuff much now). It is just a joke that went wrong, and it has no warrant to be treated as an official investigation. If something else serious happens that adds to it, then certainly it should be investigated. If his ill remark is all there is, it should be left alone though. The fact that it is being exploded is more disturbing than the remark itself. Politics, it seems.

Brian

If Hillary (or any other politician in any other race that you will probably end up voting for) makes a similar spontaneous bad joke about killing their political opponent, should that person also be charged with a crime? In my own life, I have heard people make similar-themed jokes, and I would not be surprised if I have even made one or more myself (though would have been years ago, as I am not involved in this stuff much now). It is just a joke that went wrong, and it has no warrant to be treated as an official investigation. If something else serious happens that adds to it, then certainly it should be investigated. If his ill remark is all there is, it should be left alone though. The fact that it is being exploded is more disturbing than the remark itself. Politics, it seems.

Brian

Regardless of what he intended, he does have a powerful influence over a great many volatile, angry, stupid people. He is aware of this power regardless of whatever excuse this grown ass man uses to slough responsibility off on anyone or anything else but himself. He can't not be aware of that power unless he is severely mentally incapacitated (and that may be true). On some level he knows damn well what he wields.

Either way, you cannot reduce this situation to "just an offhand remark" that we can just let go. He's running for the position of most powerful human on the planet and has his finger on the trigger of a weapon made of violent troglodytes itching for an excuse to kill the people Donald Trump is characterizing as the enemy.

Brian
It was a "joke" in very very poor taste. It shows a lack of character and judgment. And, frankly, it says a lot about Trump's view of his intended audience that they would get and appreciate such a "joke".

Contrast McCain rebuking people for their chants of "Death to Obama" with Trump's "joke". Contrast McCain's service to this country and his stand against torture against Trump's views on "service" and the use of torture. Trump's candidacy is just more proof of the step down the ladder of integrity in our politics. The whitewashing of this "joke" as simply "mere politics" is more proof of how deeply our politics have descended into the gutter of fucktardary.

This episode and the whitewashing of his remarks bode ill for the future of political discourse and politics in this country.

If Hillary (or any other politician in any other race that you will probably end up voting for) makes a similar spontaneous bad joke about killing their political opponent, should that person also be charged with a crime?
Who the heck else has ever made such a comment? Not McCain, Obama, Dole, either Clinton, either Bush, Romney, Dukakis, Reagan... etc...
In my own life, I have heard people make similar-themed jokes, and I would not be surprised if I have even made one or more myself (though would have been years ago, as I am not involved in this stuff much now).
Who?!
It is just a joke that went wrong, and it has no warrant to be treated as an official investigation.
I think someone else here penned it best, "excoriated" instead of investigated.
If something else serious happens that adds to it, then certainly it should be investigated. If his ill remark is all there is, it should be left alone though. The fact that it is being exploded is more disturbing than the remark itself.
No Presidential candidate has said anything remotely like what Trump had said up to this point. And Trump just tripled down on his comments.

- - - Updated - - -

Brian
It was a "joke" in very very poor taste. It shows a lack of character and judgment. And, frankly, it says a lot about Trump's view of his intended audience that they would get and appreciate such a "joke".
While it didn't have the room laughing, of those I observed behind Trump, three people laughed, one looked aghast.

If Hillary (or any other politician in any other race that you will probably end up voting for) makes a similar spontaneous bad joke about killing their political opponent, should that person also be charged with a crime? ... If his ill remark is all there is, it should be left alone though. The fact that it is being exploded is more disturbing than the remark itself. Politics, it seems.

Brian

Brian, I'm simply objecting to characterizing it as any kind of joke. Obviously he can't be charged with anything. But it certainly is a strong indication of what kind of President he'd be. It must be taken seriously. It disturbs many politicians on both sides because it goes way beyond politics.

Brian, I'm simply objecting to characterizing it as any kind of joke. Obviously he can't be charged with anything. But it certainly is a strong indication of what kind of President he'd be. It must be taken seriously. It disturbs many politicians on both sides because it goes way beyond politics.

If he made several of these ill-themed comments over some stretch of time, then I would agree that it is more indicative of what kind of President he would be. If it is just a 1-time deal on a single occasion in a joking context and over an extended period of time, then I do wish people would just let it go. It is a human trait to sometimes make sloppy comments and bad jokes. It is moreso the reactions various people are having to the remark that are more disturbing, not as much the remark itself.

With that point being made again, I am just going to exit this thread now. Have fun everyone.

Brian

While it didn't have the room laughing, of those I observed behind Trump, three people laughed, one looked aghast.
The lack of boos and catcalls says it all.
I'm hearing now that it was about telling Senators to filibuster Clinton's nominees. Must be why the people behind him laughed. Nothing funnier than filibusters.

- - - Updated - - -

If he made several of these ill-themed comments over some stretch of time, then I would agree that it is more indicative of what kind of President he would be. If it is just a 1-time deal on a single occasion over an extended period of time, then I do wish people would let it go. It is a human trait to sometimes make sloppy comments and bad jokes. It is moreso the reactions various people are having to the remark that are more disturbing, not as much the remark itself.

With that point being made again, I am just going to exit this thread now. Have fun everyone.

Brian
I'll have fun as soon as the Electoral College map on election night looks nearly as blue as it did red in 1988 and Trump receives less than 30% of the popular vote and lost Utah to Johnson. Until that moment, which is the climatic end of the Trump like political movement, there is no fun, because Trump is escalating the political discourse damage that Palin started in 2008.

If he made several of these ill-themed comments over some stretch of time, then I would agree that it is more indicative of what kind of President he would be. If it is just a 1-time deal on a single occasion in a joking context and over an extended period of time, then I do wish people would just let it go. It is a human trait to sometimes make sloppy comments and bad jokes. It is moreso the reactions various people are having to the remark that are more disturbing, not as much the remark itself.

Have you been locked in a cave somewhere for the past year?

It is a human trait to sometimes make sloppy comments and bad jokes. It is moreso the reactions various people are having to the remark that are more disturbing, not as much the remark itself.

You don't see at all how that remark could be be misinterpreted, assuming he was just making a joke or whatever?

Have you been locked in a cave somewhere for the past year?

Ya, seriously. What part was it about that comment which has one saying "Wow. That was an out of character remark from Donald Trump. I was surprised to hear him say it"?

...It is a human trait to sometimes make sloppy comments and bad jokes...

It is a human trait to suggest people kill other people, yes.

It is not a sloppy comment though.

It was a very calculated comment.

He is trying to appeal to a rapid disturbed angry mentality.

Deliberately.

He knows there are a lot of stupid apes that will vote Republican no matter what.

He is trying to widen this by appealing to the frustrated, the resentful, for those looking for a scapegoat.

Not by coming up with productive ideas.

His idea is to let the rich continue to rob and abuse the middle class, maybe make it easier.

Not far from Hillary's plan but without the appeals to those being crushed by a corporate system and blaming Mexicans.

It doesn’t even matter if he really meant violence or just meant “can do something” politically. No one can prove what he really meant and in context it is possible he was just being dismayingly careless with his word choices. If there was no other problem with Trump, this incapacity for tact is in itself reason enough he cannot be a president. Nobody can say something that, either accidentally or intentionally, sounds suggestive of violence while holding that office. Surely some of the people thinking of voting for him will realize that...
My father-in-law is a narcissist. I hear some many similarities with how they toss stuff out like that. The intent is clear.

I have a sibling with the disorder, so I know what you’re saying, and I'm inclined to think he meant something malicious or wanted to stir the pot for its effect. But still the intent’s not as clear to others as it seems to you, as you can see when others than just Trump supporters are willing to see it as a “slip-up”.

That’s not making excuses for Trump, because my point is it makes no difference between your reaction of dismay and my reaction of dismay. A reaction of total dismay is the only right response to this no matter what.

Arguing over his real intent is going to miss this point and turn it into an issue of “what did he mean?” when, to my mind, everyone should just see this kind of behavior as unforgivable no matter what.

----------------------------------

Brian63’s input, after my post, illustrates what I was expecting someone to come up with when I wrote what I wrote. It cannot rightly be excused as just a joke or mistake.

Last edited:
On the other hand, everyone's talking about whether or not it was an assassination suggestion or not, whether it was a joke or not, while almost no one addresses his lie that Clinton has said she wants to take our guns away.

I'd almost prefer to think this was his devious plan all along, to slip the lie into out under cover of a distraction...

On the other hand, everyone's talking about whether or not it was an assassination suggestion or not, whether it was a joke or not, while almost no one addresses his lie that Clinton has said she wants to take our guns away.
We have accepted that sort of bullshitting in politics. The assassination part, not accepted.

The "deception" isn't much. The Gun Lobby has successfully scared the fuck out of gun hoarders and they were scared Bill Clinton would take their guns, then Obama would take their guns, and have been whining about Hillary Clinton taking their guns since being in the Senate and when she becomes President.

I'd almost prefer to think this was his devious plan all along, to slip the lie into out under cover of a distraction...

Obama's been thwarted in his plans to put everybody opposed to him in concentration camps.

But Hillary will not be so easy to defeat in her plans to take our guns, then take our patio furniture, then enslave us in concentration camps and then invade Mars.

Trump should just quote Jefferson:

And what country can preserve it's liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms. The remedy is to set them right as to facts, pardon and pacify them. What signify a few lives lost in a century or two? The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is it's natural manure.

Not being sarcastic, this is the best message for our country...

Also, I think that Trump can be made to use the "Tree of Liberty" dog whistle if it is said by the right people on Twitter probably via 4chan and 8chan. Now that would be interesting.

Can that be applied to the cop killer in Texas?

"Hillary's gonna take all your guns! Unless someone, I dunno, kills her first or something. Heh heh."

"Hillary's gonna take all your guns! Unless someone, I dunno, kills her first or something. Heh heh."

You are twisting his words into a paraphrase!

Back
Top Bottom