• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Too many people?

Yes, it is, unless the people who do it do it exclusively by their active consent and agreement.
As. you. know. I. am. emphatically. not. suggesting. birth. control. without. consent.

Period.
The point is that numerous, very fastidious people are telling you... A lot of us have looked into ideas like population control, and to be fair, I am... I would probably go further than most. I think it's laudable that you want to look into it but this is like certain mathematical problems. I've been at "stupidly wrong" before.

This is one of those things people get stupidly wrong.

This is the reason people get it stupidly wrong, like people who think Fermat's Last Theorem could have an normal arithmetic proof.

It doesn't.

It's been proven it doesn't, and can't possibly.

This is like that. We all looked at it and saw that line in the sand all the way around the border of the problem.

There's no active population control, NONE, that does not involve genocide or horrible oppression and forced abortions.

There are only two points at which the problem can be considered: the beginning and the end. Both of those are "volunteers only".

I described the options all the rest of us have seen. I'm far from alone here on standing and peering at the borders and lamenting that we have actually considered all the angles.

It's figuring out how to get away from the meat, figuring out how to kick the can further, and asking people really nicely to not, and hoping enough don't reproduce, and enthusiastically supporting the choice.

The slash and burn doesn't pay for the destroyed rainforest.
A "slash and burn" human population is no danger to the rainforest ecosystem unless the human population practicing "slash and burn" is too big for the rainforest.
The population that's "too big" in such a case, is tiny.

The whole of Europe was deforested by a tiny population of humans with literally medieval technology.

Humans grow a lot faster than trees.
Do you think you are understanding the information I attempted to convey? Or are you of the view that a rainforest is just a bunch of trees?

There's no active population control, NONE, that does not involve genocide or horrible oppression and forced abortions.

You are missing the point.

Let me try it another way. Let A = the number of people on this planet. Let B = the number of people that this planet can sustainably hold. Is it or is is not possible to have a discussion on this forum about whether A>B without all the namecalling and lies?

I am not here condemning technology. I am not here promoting genocide. I am not here putting the blame on any race. I am not here saying that we need to use active population control.

If you think I said something wrong on this thread, quote it back. Nobody is doing that. That is because you will not find these things on this thread. Instead, people are just making stuff up. Sad.

If the people here refuse to have a civil conversation on whether A>B, the extent to which A might be greater that B, and the time before this problem seriously affects us, can you please suggest a forum where intellectual debate is allowed without repeated lies and namecalling?

The OP accepts there is overpopulation, such as it then proceeds to ask how much time remains before OMFG! Then whether to reduce the birth rate by 80%.

The resounding answer in the thread was no. Please stop c9mplaining about not being right or having failed to demonstrate the Earth is overpopulated.

Now I would like to suggest one that you missed:
3. We go by the data. Based on what we find we decide on a response that best fulfills human needs.
Which is...?
IKR? Like, it's not one of those "we tried nothing and are out of ideas" problems.

This is a classic falling problem with exactly the same three elements of the metaphor: an acceleration in one direction due to a force (the gravity: births), an opposing acceleration that slows our acceleration from the first force (the air resistance: deaths), and a "hard stop" (the ground: the inevitable results of not figuring out a solution).

We move the gravity by managing birth rates, and we can do some things here, but we can't take measures here beyond asking folks and hoping they comply, or doing ugly shit.

We move the air resistance by killing folks, making them die, depriving them of the means of survival.... Ugly shit.

We move the ground by development and implementation of the means to survive "for now" despite falling.

Calls that we have to do something about the accelerations without stating first that the ugly shit is off the table, and you have to say it every time, is exactly indistinguishable from implying "let's do ugly shit". That's the rhetoric people use to ease people towards the goal of ugly shit. Whether they intended to go there or not it's indistinguishable.

It's like walking out into the street with dirty clothes and no pants and screaming about someone stealing people's pants. Sure you might have just gotten assaulted, had your pants stolen, and been thrown in a trash can... But all anyone else sees is a dirty guy without pants acting erratically.

The response that best serves human needs is twofold: to do all the things to lead the horse TO the water of "not making babies" and praying to dog that they take a drink; to work on ways to infect the horse with something that makes them no longer need to drink water without also killing them or inconveniencing them in any way so as to make them kick you.

That's it.

So, every time someone mentions "a response that best fulfills human needs", it MUST, every time, lay out the borders of what is being discussed so as to explicitly say that ugly shit CANNOT be considered.

It's tiresome and uses more words than we would like but it's either verbosity and fastidious clarification, or be recognized as saying all the things that fascistic genocidal assholes say, regardless of your understanding of intent.

For many posters here the only species that matters is humans. Future generations will not know the richness they are missing as we have destroyed so much beauty and the ecosystems that support them. Why is no one addressing that issue? Is a forest just timber, just a bunch of trees that can grow back? Wow! Such low expectations to put it kindly.

For many posters here the only species that matters is humans. Future generations will not know the richness they are missing as we have destroyed so much beauty and the ecosystems that support them. Why is no one addressing that issue? Is a forest just timber, just a bunch of trees that can grow back? Wow! Such low expectations to put it kindly.
Yeah, I've never been a big people person. I remember how nice it was to go outside in the early months of the pandemic when all the selfish little consumers were scared and hunkered down in their oversized homes restricted to playing with the mountain of useless shit they had accumulated. Birds were singing. Critters were scampering about. All this within a few short months of limited human activity. It's as if this planet wants desperately to take care of us. If only we would take care of it.

The plebs are intolerable. Someone should come up with a plan to get rid of them.
That project has been in the works for some time. Preparations to abandon this exhausted planet, let the plebs have what of it remains, and move to Mars (Space X, Elon Musk, et al) are well underway.

Poking my head out of the foxhole...no bullets flying...is it safe to come out?

It sure would be nice if people here would address the things I wrote on this thread instead of making things up, and forcing me to explain that I never said the things they just made up. That behavior only wastes everybody's time.

Some people have asked me about my motives for being here. I will take a little time to explain. I have been concerned about damage to the environment and resource depletion for a long time. In the latest issue of Free Inquiry, there was an article saying the only hope for a stable environment was a substantial decrease in population. The article did not say how far we needed to decrease population, or how much time we had. That sparked my interest. In response, I wrote a draft for a letter to the editor. That draft is basically the opening post of this thread. I wanted to see what others thought about the questions I wanted to ask. I was completely caught off guard at the reaction I saw here.

I am concerned that we may be in population overshoot, and that could lead to drastic societal collapse. That collapse could affect the people reading this and their near descendants. It is serious. I would think all people would want to talk about it. Hence, my desire for civil discourse on the topic.

Some people here seem to be confused about the entire concepts of the Earth's carrying capacity and population overshoot. Exponential growth has slowed down, and we now have slow linear growth. Problem solved? No. We still need to worry about population overshoot that could have already happened. If that is a new term for you, you can learn more at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carrying_capacity and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overshoot_(population) . There, for instance, you will read:

At the global scale, scientific data indicates that humans are living beyond the carrying capacity of planet Earth and that this cannot continue indefinitely. This scientific evidence comes from many sources. It was presented in detail in the Millennium Ecosystem Assessment of 2005, a collaborative effort involving more than 1,360 experts worldwide.[2] More recent, detailed accounts are provided by ecological footprint accounting,[3] and interdisciplinary research on planetary boundaries to safe human use of the biosphere.[4] The Sixth Assessment Report on Climate Change from the IPCC[5] and the First Assessment Report on Biodiversity and Ecosystem Services by the IPBES,[6] large international summaries of the state of scientific knowledge regarding climate disruption and biodiversity loss, also support this view. [Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carrying_capacity]

So we find thousands of scientists concerned about population overshoot. There are plenty of links there to the concerned organizations.

And what do we read about these concerned scientists here on this thread? If you read the posts here you will find that these people are promoting genocide and that:
"Combating overpopulation" is always about favoring some groups over others.
So, if you are going to trust what you read here, those thousand of scientists are all racists trying to use eugenics to wipe out people they don't like. It is so sad to read the shameful, unjustified slander going on here about the many good people that are expressing a legitimate concern. The late Tom Flynn, Humanist luminary and editor of Free Inquiry, who actively wrote about the need to reduce population, must be turning over in his grave.

Many of you believe in evolution. Surely you have heard Creationists argue that all evolutionists are just using evolution to promote immoral behavior, abortion, atheism, or sexual liberty. Instead of addressing the issues, these Creationists resort to attacks on the motives of those expressing an opposing view. Their argument is invalid. Even if those Creationists know some people who used evolution to justify something wrong, that in no way proves that all evolutionists are doing this. And that in no way gives them justification to ignore the evidence.

Likewise, just because you have heard of somebody who uses concerns about overpopulation in term of racist policies, that does not prove that every person concerned about overpopulation is evil, and does not give you the right to ignore the evidence. If you can see the fallacy when Creationist argue by attacking your motives, then you should not use that argument yourself.

I wander if I should just shake my head in sorrow and walk away from the slander at this site. Are the debate tactics here no better than Creationist tactics?

If I decide to come back, I plan to address some of your questions and write about a) my opinion on the Earth's carrying capacity and the justification for my view; b) some of the ideas suggested here, including nuclear power, synthetic fuel, and exploiting space. and c) the hot button issue of what I think we should do. I wasn't planning on this being a platform for airing my views, so I wasn't prepared to do that. Now that people keep asking, I will see if I can respond.

Then I will probably write a post at my blog putting together what I have said here.

Meanwhile, I may send that letter to the editor of FI, but I can see that this issue is such a hot button issue, it might be better not even to ask my questions. Sometimes, sadly, it is safer to stay quiet about one's concerns.

I know that there are many good people here. I hope that we can somehow get beyond the slander and lies that have filled the last few posts of this thread, and move on to true intellectual debate on this important topic. To those here that do believe in treating people with honesty and respect, I wish you the best. Thank you for being here.

Poking my head out of the foxhole...no bullets flying...is it safe to come out?
Use your periscope first.

I wander if I should just shake my head in sorrow and walk away from the slander at this site. Are the debate tactics here no better than Creationist tactics?
No. they are human tactics sadly.
If I decide to come back, I plan to address some of your questions and write about a) my opinion on the Earth's carrying capacity and the justification for my view;
Should have been done in the OP
b) some of the ideas suggested here, including nuclear power, synthetic fuel, and exploiting space. and

c) the hot button issue of what I think we should do. I wasn't planning on this being a platform for airing my views, so I wasn't prepared to do that. Now that people keep asking, I will see if I can respond.
Should have been done in the OP

Poor Merle. He seems to be unable to grok that various posters here have long voiced urgent concern, total lack of concern or something in-between, about overpopulation. And every easily imagined “solution” has been discussed. I suspect he thought he was presenting completely new thoughts and observations.
Perhaps Merle will surprise everyone with a genius solution that nobody else has ever thought of. Someone has to do it, and I hope it’s soon, because about 260 babies are being born every minute!

If some one claims that they are too many people on earth I always ask them when are they leaving to reduce the pressure?
I believe you.

One should never expect another person to use knowledge said person does not possess. Unfortunately we assume too much in our exchanges.

I recently planted several white oaks on the property. Actually collected a few acorns and now the trees are about ten feet tall. I did that because the white oaks feed so many different species. They are home to over five hundred different caterpillars and insects which are food for birds and other native species. They also provide shelter and habitat for many other species as opposed to something like a Ginko or Bradford Pear, trees which look nice in homeowners' yards but literally drive native species into local extinction. I doubt more than a handful of people in my state know that it takes five thousand caterpillars to fledge a clutch of chickadees.

And most people just see a tree as a tree, they don't know how valuable and essential a native white oak is to native species. People are dumb that way, most of them anyway. Maybe life is too hectic for them.

On a recent walk in a local park a person exclaimed how "big and beautiful" was a Tulip Poplar, Liriodendron tulipifera, and it was beautiful. The person had never seen such a large tree. This specimen was about 70 years old, the trunk diameter was 30ish inches and I explained how it was just a baby, that mature specimens live to be 300 years old with trunk diameters of six feet. He was surprised to say the least but obviously he didn't know what he didn't know, didn't have an appreciation for old growth habitats, never had experienced one, definitely his misfortune, and typical.

We don't need more people, but we sure could use more people who wish to keep the planet healthy, protect its beauty where we haven't already destroyed it, and maybe even think about how we can balance our needs and wishes with maintaining a healthy environment for ourselves and our mates.

It seems to me that the OP is right to diagnose the problem we have--too many people generating too much pollution. Since it is impossible to stop people from self-replicating, the proposed exhortation to stop self-replicating is pointless. Every successful species expands and overpopulates its environmental niche. Ours is the entire planet. The pollution we generate is obviously going to have catastrophic consequences in the near future, and that will be part of the unfortunate solution to the overpopulation problem. Maybe we will find some technological solutions to slow down some of the pollution in isolated areas, but it doesn't look likely that anything we do is going to stop enough of it to maintain 8 billion plus mouths to feed. Rising ocean levels are unstoppable, and they are going to reduce the amount of living space and arable land available for growing food. Most of the world's population is concentrated on seacoasts. They'll need to start moving soon.

Every successful species expands and overpopulates its environmental niche.
No other successful species in the history of life on this planet has developed and implemented a non-lethal means of contraception.

It's a complete game-changer.

Humans, like all other species, are driven by their evolved instincts and physiology to keep on doing the things necessary to reproduce. But uniquely amongst all species past or present, humans can do these things without increasing their numbers.

It's a completely new phenomenon, and if we are smart, we can use it to not only become a dominant species in the history of our planet, but to remain dominant indefinitely.

Or we can just ignore our success and keep planning genocides to solve a problem that no longer exists.

If pollution is your major concern, don't worry about how many people we have, worry about how few nuclear power plants we have. Having children isn't a crime against our ecosystem, but building a coal or gas fired power station surely is.

Sadly if you ask a thousand self-described "environmentalists" what we should be doing, nine hundred and ninety of them will include both "reduce our population" and "close our nuclear power plants" in their recommendations.

Because people are very effectively swayed by propaganda, and very bad indeed at observing what's actually going on.

Back
Top Bottom