• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Trump 2024?

According to the Betfair prediction market, Ted Cruz is tied (with Ivanka Trump) as fifth-most likely GOP nominee for President in 2024. (D. Trump, DeSantis, Haley and Pence are the top 4.)

Speaking of Ted Cruz, what are the rules guiding Senate Committees? Can the Chairman order a Senator who refuses to stifle himself to be bound and gagged?
[YOUTUBE]S9gYtmBHNVA[/YOUTUBE]

Dozens of people walked out of a rally in Ohio over the weekend as former President Donald Trump was speaking.

The Saturday evening event in Wellington was Trump's first official rally since being ousted from the White House.

According to a report in The New York Times, Trump used the rally to repeatedly and falsely claim that the 2020 presidential election was fraudulent.

"Yet in the audience and on the stage, the scene in Ohio on Saturday was reflective of how diminished Mr. Trump has become in his post-presidency, and how reliant he is on a smaller group of allies and supporters who have adopted his alternate reality as their own," New York Times correspondent Jeremy Peters explained. "One of the event's headliners was Representative Marjorie Taylor Greene of Georgia, the far-right Republican who has promoted the QAnon conspiracy theory."

"Mr. Trump's speech — low-key, digressive and nearly 90 minutes long — fell flat at times with an otherwise adoring audience," the report added. "Scores of people left early as he bounced from topic to topic — immigration, Israel, Speaker Nancy Pelosi's protective mask."

'Scores of people left early': Trump supporters walked out of rally after his speech 'fell flat'

No need to wait for '24. I have been selected to play second trombone in the Ottawa County Marching Oompah Band as the Trump ReInaugural on Aug 13 in DC. We're going to march by the reviewing stand and everything. We're rehearsing a medley of You'll Never Walk Alone/Boogie Fever/Battle Hymn of the Republic, and it will be fabulous. Plus we all get a My Pillow for the bus ride back to Ohio. Jealous?

No need to wait for '24. I have been selected to play second trombone in the Ottawa County Marching Oompah Band as the Trump ReInaugural on Aug 13 in DC. We're going to march by the reviewing stand and everything. We're rehearsing a medley of You'll Never Walk Alone/Boogie Fever/Battle Hymn of the Republic, and it will be fabulous. Plus we all get a My Pillow for the bus ride back to Ohio. Jealous?

Wow!

That has been moved back to October.

Fuck, this is delightful:

“THERE’S GOING TO BE A BLOWUP”: TRUMP AND DESANTIS ARE ON A COLLISION COURSE

On June 30, the conservative Washington Examiner reported that DeSantis’s team was furious that Trump intended to hold a MAGA rally in Florida while the search for survivors continued (DeSantis didn’t attend the rally). On July 1, DeSantis appeared alongside President Joe Biden and praised him for the federal government’s response to the tragedy.

“There’s going to be a blowup,” a prominent Republican said. “Trump fucking hates DeSantis. He just resents his popularity,” a Trump confidant told me.

Trump has royally fucked himself. He's too toxic to ever win another general election but too much of an arrogant cunt to allow anyone else succeed him. I hope those two facts are gnawing away at him in his private moments.

why isn't YMCA part of the medley?

Trump easily wins CPAC 2024 GOP presidential nomination straw poll | Fox News
and
Trump, DeSantis lead CPAC straw poll | TheHill

"A straw poll from the annual CPAC in February, showed Trump with 55 percent of the vote, followed by DeSantis at 21 percent and Noem at 4 percent. Without Trump in the mix, DeSantis received 43 percent of the vote."

noting
Forbes on Twitter: "#BREAKING: Former President Trump wins the #CPAC straw poll for 2024 GOP presidential nominee, with Gov. Ron DeSantis (R-FL) winning the straw poll for a race in which Trump doesn't run. (vid link)" / Twitter

He got 70%. Ron DeSantis got 21%, and everybody else got at most 1% - Rand Paul, Nikki Haley, Ted Cruz, Tucker Carlson, Kristi Noem, Mike Pompeo, Greg Abbott, Mike Pence, Ben Carson, Josh Hawley, Marco Rubio, Tom Cotton, Charlie Baker, John Kasich, Larry Hogan, Mitt Romney.

Without him, Ron DeSantis got 68%, Mike Pompeo 5%, Don Jr., Ted Cruz, 4%, Kristi Noem 3%, Rand Paul, Tucker Carlson 2%, all the at most 1%.

So it's Trump > DeSantis > everybody else.

Latest news from Mar-A-Largo is Trumpo has now declared he will run for re-election in 2024. This is what he is telling close associates. Of course this is if he is not in prison or tied up in 101 court cases then. This means we will have a truly nasty, insane, expensive primary season, a real hell circus. A rabid raccoon cage fight.

Primary season could possibly not happen, and we jump straight into the general election on November 9, 2022. No one can challenge Trump. 2/3 of the GOP is eating his salad and the remainder don't have enough pull to defeat him. It would be something of extraordinary depression if the GOP actually renominated the guy who incited a riot that required evacuating the Capitol Building.

Primary season could possibly not happen, and we jump straight into the general election on November 9, 2022. No one can challenge Trump. 2/3 of the GOP is eating his salad and the remainder don't have enough pull to defeat him. It would be something of extraordinary depression if the GOP actually renominated the guy who incited a riot that required evacuating the Capitol Building.

It's not too surprising, they've been avid supporters of violent regime change as a valid form of governmental transition for many decades now; it was just always in other countries before. But they see "liberal America" as a foreign nation now, so those standards can apply to us, too. They were just waiting for the right figurehead to come along.

https://www.rawstory.com/mike-pence-2024-2653910444/

However, former national security adviser John Bolton told Politico that his PAC's polling data found only about a third of Republicans believe the ex-president is the strongest candidate for 2024, while 52 percent would prefer a "fresh face" -- although he concedes Trump's shadow would still loom over that election.

This isn't looking good for Orango The Clown. Most Republicans seem to be tired of Orango and his antics.

McCarthy went to speak with Trump in person.

Anyone who thinks Trump is done hasn't been paying attention. 2016 was a wake up call. The number of votes he received while running against a stalwart moderate Democrat was another wake up call. His insurrection going unpunished by the GOP was another. Trump isn't done. The GOP just won't make it happen. At the moment, Trump is the only position the right-wing appears to care about.

And unlike the Neocons, the world really does seem to operate different for Trump.

Anyone who thinks Trump is done hasn't been paying attention. 2016 was a wake up call. The number of votes he received while running against a stalwart moderate Democrat was another wake up call. His insurrection going unpunished by the GOP was another. Trump isn't done. The GOP just won't make it happen. At the moment, Trump is the only position the right-wing appears to care about.

And unlike the Neocons, the world really does seem to operate different for Trump.

Either Trump is done or America is done.
I am more and more convinced that ‘22 will tell the end of the story.
If trump Nazis are allowed to overturn election results, it’s fucking OVER.

Michael Cohen thinks Trump won't actually run. I'm not so sure.

[YOUTUBE]https://youtu.be/WSsaxj-NwJ0[/YOUTUBE]

I don't have a time stamp but it's in here somewhere

Trump isn't "done" yet, but if i were the GOP, I'd be very concerned about the wisdom of hitching their wagon to him in the long term. Yes, he got a lot of votes against a stalwart moderate Democrat. Yes, he bulldozed over stalwart Republicans to win the nomination. But now they're in a bind. Trump - and folks like Gaetz and Greene trying to out-crazy Trump - really fire up the base and make a lot of noise, but elections are won through turnout, swing voters, and pocketbook issues.

In 2020, Trump lost swing voters very badly, the Democrats won the turnout ground game, and the fact that we were in an economic pit following a bungled pandemic response didn't help. Yet despite getting shellacked in not only the Presidential race, but losing the Senate and House, the GOP kinda has to stick with the guy who lost them everything. They're between a rock and a crazed Trump base. If they waver even a little, his supporters get out the noose. If they stick with him, they could lose again. Remember, he lost to "sleepy Joe." The most milquetoast, moderate, unoffensive choice the Democrats could muster. In normal times, this would cause a political party to reevaluate their approach or face another defeat. The Republicans can't do that, or they alienate the Red Hats and lose even more bigly.

On top of that, we've got next year's election. Conventional wisdom is that the incumbent President's party loses seats - and sometimes one or both houses of Congress - in the mid terms. This is usually because all the sunshine and rainbows (or hope and change) campaign promises don't manifest themselves in the short two years available, and so voters - especially swing voters - can be swayed. 2010 was basically a referendum on Obama's handling of the post Great Recession, and while slow and steady may win the race for a tortoise, it doesn't work in the "what have you done for me lately" world of US politics.

This time might be very different. If the pandemic recovery continues at it's present pace, those pocketbooks are going to be a lot fatter a year from now, the swing voters will be coming off a year of the kids back in school, being back in the office, going back to sporting events and concerts, and life returning to "normal," with a booming stock market, low unemployment, and other economic indicators going strong for a long time. If (and this is a very big Delta Variant if) this trend continues, then all the Democrats have to do in order to win 2022 is very loudly take credit for all of it, and remind those swing voters where they were under Trump. Even if they're only able to eke out a win, it will put Trump and Trumpism even farther away in the rear view mirror. If sticking with Trump loses them another election, is the Grand Old Party going to stick with him until 2024?

There's only been one President who lost an election and then came back to win again 4 years later. Is Trump really going to be the next Grover Cleveland? I have my doubts.

Michael Cohen thinks Trump won't actually run. I'm not so sure.

[YOUTUBE]https://youtu.be/WSsaxj-NwJ0[/YOUTUBE]

I don't have a time stamp but it's in here somewhere

About 1 hour 05 minutes...

But i agree. I don't think he wanted the job in 2016. Scott Adams said he believed that Trump wanted to succeed as President. But Trump saw winning the office as the success. Turned out people wanted results, expected him to actually work. Not something he's interested in. And rather than 4 years of people congratulating him on the election, they wanted action, choices, all that shit.

I just went wiki on Grover Cleveland. In his comeback year, 1892, he received 46.0% of the popular vote (in a 3-way race.) Last year, Trump won 46.8% of the vote (after my friends and I stowed bushel baskets of Trump votes in my basement. Come see. I light fires with 'em to make Biden s'mores.)
Trump redux? He'll be an even fatter, slower 78-year-old. (I know, here's Uncle Joe, he's movin' kinda slow, at the junction. I get it.)
I'm an optimist, and I keep thinking that Trump's constant state of rage will manifest in a major stroke, which will incapacitate him from doing the continual damage to the country that he does every stinking day of his life.

Trump redux? He'll be an even fatter, slower 78-year-old. (I know, here's Uncle Joe, he's movin' kinda slow, at the junction. I get it.)
I'm an optimist, and I keep thinking that Trump's constant state of rage will manifest in a major stroke, which will incapacitate him from doing the continual damage to the country that he does every stinking day of his life.

Good news: I think you're right. By 2024 Trump will be too indicted, too infirm, or too deranged to run.
Bad news: Trump has transformed the GOP. Whoever they DO run will be just as evil, but more competent (and hence more dangerous) than the Orange Buffoon.

Worse news: In the near-term expect GOP electoral successes. Neither Harris nor a very old Biden will be a good candidate. Even if the D's win on points, expect R governors (or Scotus by a 5-4 vote) to award close elections to the R's.

Back
Top Bottom