• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Trump and Cuba

Cheerful Charlie

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Strong Atheist
http://www.rawstory.com/2016/09/bom...-violated-us-trade-embargo-with-castros-cuba/

A company controlled by Donald Trump, the Republican nominee for president, secretly conducted business in communist Cuba during Fidel Castro’s presidency despite strict American trade bans that made such undertakings illegal, according to interviews with former Trump executives, internal company records and court filings.

------

Well, this is a surprise. One wonders if this story will have legs and make a difference. Will any Congressman be brave enough to demand hearings?
Will it matter at all? Obviously, Trump thinks he is above the law.

I suspect it may in fact become a distraction that tips a few voters to abandon any thoughts of possibly voting for Trump.

I think that Trump was right when he said that he could shoot someone in the middle of 5th Avenue and it wouldn't cost him support.

The support for Trump is based on the fact that there are a lot of angry and disaffected people out there who want change and they see him as the best bet for delivering it. They know who and what he is and they don't care. They're willing to accept that in exchange for tearing down the system.

I think that Trump was right when he said that he could shoot someone in the middle of 5th Avenue and it wouldn't cost him support.

Exactly what I thought upon seeing CC's "may in fact become a distraction that tips a few voters to abandon any thoughts of possibly voting for Trump". That line about shooting someone was probably the truest thing he's said to date. I was half hoping he'd test it out... maybe bring a piece to the debate to make sure he'd win.

Ya, shooting Hillary Clinton would probably bring a couple percentage points of undecided voters his way.

OOPS!!! That post likely put you on the NSA watch list.

Well, if they're going to watch me, I hope they like watching chubby, middle-aged guys dancing around naked to ABBA in their living room because that's what their evenings are going to be like.

It wont matter much. It didn't matter to Republicans that Halliburton did business with Iran. The only ones this will matter to are the anti-Castro Cubans, who vote Republican because of the long time anti-communist rhetoric. And how many of them are already not supporting Trump because of the anti-hispanic rhetoric?

Meanwhile, in New York, the NY AG's office is widening its investigation into Trump's charities. Grifter to the end.

The post-election is going to be quite disturbing for Trump, I think. If not for his presidential run, most of his illegitimate activities wouldn't have come to anyone's attention. Apparently, he's lost about $800 million since last year and it would be nice to see it continue to go down and have his entire family become bankrupt and forced to hire low-cost illegal Mexican immigrants manufacture their outrage for them instead of being able to have rich white people like Guilliani do it.

Meanwhile, in New York, the NY AG's office is widening its investigation into Trump's charities. Grifter to the end.

The post-election is going to be quite disturbing for Trump, I think. If not for his presidential run, most of his illegitimate activities wouldn't have come to anyone's attention. Apparently, he's lost about $800 million since last year and it would be nice to see it continue to go down and have his entire family become bankrupt and forced to hire low-cost illegal Mexican immigrants manufacture their outrage for them instead of being able to have rich white people like Guilliani do it.

He already has a stable of low-rent bimbos going around the news show circuits, saturating them with incoherent nonstop yakking.

He already has a stable of low-rent bimbos going around the news show circuits, saturating them with incoherent nonstop yakking.

He probably hasn't paid them yet, and he won't if he's not satisfied with their work.

That is my fondest hope for Trump and family

That is my fondest hope for Trump and family

I'm still hoping for prison, but we can't all be dreamers. ;)

Every once in a while you hear about someone who was fabulously rich, but ended up dying penniless...

If he loses to a "girl" in 6 weeks I intend to remind him of that fact, week after week after week, by mail. At least his staff will have to look at it. America's Orange Skidmark. The Donald.

It wont matter much. It didn't matter to Republicans that Halliburton did business with Iran. The only ones this will matter to are the anti-Castro Cubans, who vote Republican because of the long time anti-communist rhetoric. And how many of them are already not supporting Trump because of the anti-hispanic rhetoric?

It may come as a shock to you, but many Cubans can hold anti-Mexican feelings, indeed, I would wager anti-Mexican sentiment is probably stronger among your typical Cuban than a man like Trump. Either way, these Cubans don't identify with Mexicans / Central Americans in the least. Especially if they are anti-Castro Cubans who were the sort that left Cuba because of the Revolution.

http://www.rawstory.com/2016/09/bom...-violated-us-trade-embargo-with-castros-cuba/

... Will any Congressman be brave enough to demand hearings?
Will it matter at all? Obviously, Trump thinks he is above the law.

I suspect it may in fact become a distraction that tips a few voters to abandon any thoughts of possibly voting for Trump.

I hope you're right but, unfortunately at the bottom of the article:
Though it has long been illegal for corporations to spend money in Cuba without proper authorization, there is no chance that Trump, the company or any of its executives will be prosecuted for wrongdoing. The statute of limitations ran out long ago, and legal analysts say OFAC’s enforcement division is understaffed, so the chances for an investigation were slim even at the time.

And perhaps that was the calculation behind the company’s decision to flout the law: the low risk of getting caught versus the high reward of lining up Cuban allies if the U.S. loosened or dropped the embargo. The only catch: What would happen if Trump's Cuban-American supporters ever found out?

More and more it looks like Trump's whole candidacy is indicative of risk-taking behaviors.

If he loses to a "girl" in 6 weeks I intend to remind him of that fact, week after week after week, by mail. At least his staff will have to look at it. America's Orange Skidmark. The Donald.

Use twitter - it's the only thing he reads (or has someone read to him).

Back
Top Bottom