• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Trump Calls Americans Who Died in War ‘Losers’

I realize that, but there’s a lot of pressure on him to break his silence right now. I say it’s time, one way or other.
But Kelly is Old School loyal. He took an oath to support the cheesy bastard, he's probably going to keep it, for his own sake as an oather, not for the Donald's sake.

Ok, now they are moving from denial to he didn’t mean it how it sounds....
For someone lauded as a 'tells it like it is' guy, there's sure a lot of footnotes, marginalia, translations, and apologies for what he says and what he really means.

I believe Kelly has vowed to not say anything at all about his time in the cabinet, no matter the subject.

I realize that, but there’s a lot of pressure on him to break his silence right now. I say it’s time, one way or other.

I suspect that Kelly is the main source for this story and that one of his reasons for doing it is Trump's insulting his deceased son, Robert, at his grave site. Bolton mentions in his book that there was some kind of row between Kelly and Trump at the time that led to Kelly's being fired. In any case, both the AP and Wapo have corroborated parts of the story from more than one source. Kelly probably could take the heat, if he went public, but one can hardly blame him for not inviting another shit storm. It is hard to keep his old uniform clean as it is. Still, this must be sweet revenge for him.

I am surprised that people make such a big deal about the sources being unnamed and on condition of anonymity. The Trump administration has openly and viciously gone after everyone they perceive as an enemy or a "rat". They not only deprived Lt. Col. Vindman of his scheduled promotion, but they fired his brother, who had no connection to the impeachment hearings other than being his brother. They don't just end careers, they even go after family. Trump himself is a big fan of using the courts to bankrupt his perceived enemies. And now he has the DoJ doing his dirty deeds. The press has always protected their sources by keeping them secret (remember "Deep Throat" from the Watergate scandal?), but anonymity is in demand now more than ever for very good reasons.

More and more. Let's see who votes for Trump other than yellow-dog Republicans.

Gold Star Families Issue Stinging Message To Donald Trump Over Reported War Dead Insults | HuffPost
Gold Star families condemn Donald Trump for reportedly insulting America’s war dead in just one of a series of new attack ads released by critics of the president on both sides of the aisle.

The parents of fallen U.S. service members denounce Trump for allegedly referring to Americans who died fighting in World War I as “suckers” and “losers” during a 2018 visit to France. Trump denies making the comments, first reported by The Atlantic this week.

“My message to Donald Trump is this: You have no right being commander in chief,” one Gold Star mother said in the video, which was shared online Friday by the progressive PAC VoteVets.
Hero Airline Pilot Capt. Sully Is 'Disgusted' By Trump, He Reveals In Blistering Attack | HuffPost
Retired Capt. Chesley “Sully” Sullenberger, America’s favorite airline pilot, is “disgusted” by the “current occupant of the White House,” he tweeted Friday in an uncharacteristic attack on President Donald Trump.

The easygoing pilot, who safely landed a crippled commercial airliner in the Hudson River 11 years ago to save every one of his 155 passengers, erupted over a report Thursday in The Atlantic about Trump’s shocking insults labeling fallen service members as “losers” and “suckers.”

As part of his nine-tweet attack, Sullenberger began by honoring his father, who, like him, was a war veteran. “His generation saved the world from fascism,” he wrote. Sullenberger, an Air Force veteran, volunteered for military service during the Vietnam War.

I believe Kelly has vowed to not say anything at all about his time in the cabinet, no matter the subject.

I say wait, let it simmer. It will rise to the surface time and again on bubbles of new or consilient information. Then Kelly should come out and loudly proclaim Trump's scumbaggery on or around 10/29. Any sooner and people dumb enough to consider voting for Trump will have forgotten by election day. Most of them don't plan to vote early, so ...

Ok, now they are moving from denial to he didn’t mean it how it sounds....
For someone lauded as a 'tells it like it is' guy, there's sure a lot of footnotes, marginalia, translations, and apologies for what he says and what he really means.

His communications are like Russian roulette, mostly just mild griping and complaining and then bam, damage control.

The Word of Trump said:
"I was ready to go to a ceremony. I had two of them, one the following day, it was pouring and I went to that. The reason it couldn't fly because it was raining about as hard as I've ever seen, and on top of that it was very, very foggy and the helicopter was unable to fly," he said.
The Secret Service, Trump recounted, "told me you can't do it. I said I have to do that, I want to be there."
Trump said he then "called home, I spoke to my wife and I said, 'I hate this. I came here to go to that ceremony.' And to the one that was the following day, which I did go to. I said I feel terribly. And that was the end of it."

No link necessary.

The Word of Trump said:
"I was ready to go to a ceremony. I had two of them, one the following day, it was pouring and I went to that. The reason it couldn't fly because it was raining about as hard as I've ever seen, and on top of that it was very, very foggy and the helicopter was unable to fly," he said.
The Secret Service, Trump recounted, "told me you can't do it. I said I have to do that, I want to be there."
Trump said he then "called home, I spoke to my wife and I said, 'I hate this. I came here to go to that ceremony.' And to the one that was the following day, which I did go to. I said I feel terribly. And that was the end of it."

No link necessary.

Except Melania went to France with him on that trip.

I have not followed the entire thread too closely, but has anyone mentioned how Fox News defended the reporter who reported the evidence that Trump did say most of the things he was accused of in "The Atlantic?"

https://www.washingtonpost.com/media/2020/09/05/jennifer-griffin-defended-by-fox-news-colleagues-after-trump-twitter-attack-over-her-confirmation-atlantic-reporting/?hpid=hp_no-name_griffin3pm%3Ahomepage%2Fstory-ans

Jennifer Griffin caused an unexpected media firestorm Friday when she did something fairly routine for a reporter: A competitor had broken a story on her beat, so she set out to see whether she could match it.
In this case, it was the Atlantic’s blockbuster report that President Trump had made disparaging remarks about veterans. Griffin, a national security correspondent for Fox News, found sources to validate key aspects of the story, sharing her reporting on Twitter and on anchor Bret Baier’s news show.
Other beat reporters had confirmed aspects of the Atlantic story, too. But the fact that Griffin works for Fox, whose opinion hosts and corporate owners are seen as reliable supporters and defenders of the president, turned her revelations into a watershed development. It led to Trump’s call for her firing late Friday on Twitter — and an impassioned pushback from Fox News colleagues defending her journalistic honor.

“According to one former senior Trump administration official: ‘When the President spoke about the Vietnam War, he said, ‘It was a stupid war. Anyone who went was a sucker,’ ” she wrote. “When asked IF the President could have driven to the Aisne-Marne Cemetery, this former official said confidently: ‘The President drives a lot. The other world leaders drove to the cemeteries. He just didn’t want to go.’ ”
Later, she noted on Baier’s “Special Report” show that she was unable to confirm “the most salacious allegation,” in Goldberg’s story, “that the president described the American war dead at the Aisne-Marne Cemetery as ‘suckers’ and ‘losers.’ ”

Only a brainwashed moron would fail to believe that Trump said these things. Too bad that some of those who spoke to these reporters don't have the balls to come out of the shadows and identify themselves. I know they will be highly criticized by the Trump enablers, but there are times when one needs to have the courage to do the right thing and not worry about any possible consequences.

The rest of the article just quotes several of Griffin's coworkers praising her journalistic integrity. I know that's rare at Fox, but even Fox has a few decent reporters. And, I'm sure she could get a job at another network if she wants to do that.

That is a telling response.

Although it does make we ponder, “THAT is the thing that bothered you about him? Nothing else until now? Well, all right then. I thought you’d be upset by all the rest, but I’ll take a message in whatever language you speak.”

Unshared passions.
For example, when I learned there were children in the vehicle Jacob Blake was gaining access to, my concern for this responsible adult’s life nosedived.
Or perhaps it was just the final straw for that Marine.

(snipped for brevity)
I used OwlOCR on the text, and I reformatted it:
Christopher Moore
@TheAuthorGuy

In all his denials, the President never actually says anything positive about veterans. He says how much HE has done for them. He says nobody thinks more of them, yet he NEVER says anything about honor, or duty, or sacrifice, or bravery. Those qualities don't exist in his world.
Yet more evidence of his narcissism.

But Kelly is Old School loyal. He took an oath to support the cheesy bastard, he's probably going to keep it, for his own sake as an oather, not for the Donald's sake.

He took the same oath we all take. There is no one named in that oath. The oath is to an office, not a person.

He took the same oath we all take. There is no one named in that oath. The oath is to an office, not a person.
You don't think Fuckface asks for loyalty oaths?

The Word of Trump said:

No link necessary.

That was reiterated on the Fox News Sunday panel today and went uncontested.

If Kelly values his own personal honor that highly it's equally telling that he doesn't outright deny the reports. It would follow that SLD's hopes will eventually be realized.

That was reiterated on the Fox News Sunday panel today and went uncontested.
Seems odd. If true, it looks a bit like a lie to me. Why 'no link necessary' to where he said he phoned home?

I don't follow.

ETA- If you're looking for the missing link here's one -
Trump claims he “called home, I spoke to my wife and I said ‘I hate this. I came here to go to that ceremony.’ And to the one that was the following day which I did go to. I said I feel terribly. And that was the end of it.”

Facts First: Melania Trump was on the same trip with the President and was scheduled to attend the cemetery visit. She was not in the US.

Back
Top Bottom