• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Trump calls Warren "Pocahontas" at an event honoring native American veterans

Nor did she ever claim more than this was the family lore she grew up with. Which is precisely how most of us learn about our heritage. It wasn't until ancestry.com came along that I learned one of my grandmother's more colorful tales about her ancestors was in fact true. Or at least ancestry dot com true.

You're right. Our access now to info and methods is far more convenient than it was back then when she had made these claims based on learning from her mother and grandmother. I will add that from my mother and grandmother I also learned I was part Native American. I've gotten mixed results from trying to confirm this these days and I am not completely confident on what is the truth, but some decades ago, I relied entirely on my grandmother's oral history of family heritage.

Same here. I still don't know "for a fact" that I am 1/8th Cherokee, but that was what I was always told growing up and have always presented as "fact" on that basis. Who the fuck really cares?

OTOH, we were never told we had much Irish in us, but found out as adults that we are actually about 1/4 Irish when birth/marriage certificates turned up in an aunt's possession showing that my maternal grandparents were both full Irish immigrated from Ireland.

(Still want to do a DNA test at some point)

Nor did she ever claim more than this was the family lore she grew up with. Which is precisely how most of us learn about our heritage. It wasn't until ancestry.com came along that I learned one of my grandmother's more colorful tales about her ancestors was in fact true. Or at least ancestry dot com true.

You're right. Our access now to info and methods is far more convenient than it was back then when she had made these claims based on learning from her mother and grandmother. I will add that from my mother and grandmother I also learned I was part Native American. I've gotten mixed results from trying to confirm this these days and I am not completely confident on what is the truth, but some decades ago, I relied entirely on my grandmother's oral history of family heritage.

Same here. I still don't know "for a fact" that I am 1/8th Cherokee, but that was what I was always told growing up and have always presented as "fact" on that basis. Who the fuck really cares?

OTOH, we were never told we had much Irish in us, but found out as adults that we are actually about 1/4 Irish when birth/marriage certificates turned up in an aunt's possession showing that my maternal grandparents were both full Irish immigrated from Ireland.

Family traditions are an odd thing, subject to all kinds of pressures to ignore undesirable and promote desirable ancestors - fictional or real - in a way that often has more to do with fashion than with reality.

In the 1950s and '60s, the very suggestion that an Australian might have convict ancestors was liable to get you a punch on the nose; Today, Australians scour the Internet hoping to find one - ideally from the earliest days of the penal colonies. Aboriginal ancestry is an even bigger can of worms, with some people trying to pretend they don't have it, and others claiming (against all probability and evidence) that they do.

The reality is that most Australians today have neither, being descended from post WWII migrants - but of course, as time goes on, more and more have both (we only have two parents, but we have up to 16 great-great grandparents). In 1945, most Australians probably had both, and were deeply concerned with ensuring that nobody could prove it. By 1995, most Australians had neither, but many were very keen to claim one or both.

Of course, not so long ago, a hint that an American had Native American ancestry would also have earned the hintor a punch on the nose. In the light of which, it becomes very difficult indeed to determine ancestry with any degree of accuracy (coincidentally rendering racism even more stupid than it would otherwise be).

Family traditions are an odd thing, subject to all kinds of pressures to ignore undesirable and promote desirable ancestors - fictional or real - in a way that often has more to do with fashion than with reality.

In the 1950s and '60s, the very suggestion that an Australian might have convict ancestors was liable to get you a punch on the nose; Today, Australians scour the Internet hoping to find one - ideally from the earliest days of the penal colonies. Aboriginal ancestry is an even bigger can of worms, with some people trying to pretend they don't have it, and others claiming (against all probability and evidence) that they do.

The reality is that most Australians today have neither, being descended from post WWII migrants - but of course, as time goes on, more and more have both (we only have two parents, but we have up to 16 great-great grandparents). In 1945, most Australians probably had both, and were deeply concerned with ensuring that nobody could prove it. By 1995, most Australians had neither, but many were very keen to claim one or both.

Of course, not so long ago, a hint that an American had Native American ancestry would also have earned the hintor a punch on the nose. In the light of which, it becomes very difficult indeed to determine ancestry with any degree of accuracy (coincidentally rendering racism even more stupid than it would otherwise be).
The bolded is very true, which was supposed to be the reason we had no documents to verify. Likewise, being Irish was supposed to be shameful in early American history... barely more accepted than having any black or Native American ancestors. I suspect that is why my grandparents' heritage was hidden for so long.

Warren is not here so she cannot back it up.

Warren cannot back it up period. Regardless of where she is.

Yes, she can.

She said her family's lore maintained that the family had some Native American heritage. Warren's brothers and cousins remember hearing the same story about Delaware and Cherokee ancestors.

The lore might be wrong, but Warren's claim about it being part of her family's oral history has been substantiated.

Last edited:
The Twittler Youth don´t care. When has truth mattered to people like him?

The funny thing is that his hero Trump claims to have Swedish ancestry, maybe they should start calling him Sven since they think playing with peoples names is so funny?

The funny thing is that his hero Trump claims to have Swedish ancestry, maybe they should start calling him Sven since they think playing with peoples names is so funny?

Nope. I'm urging everybody to "Laff at Olaf the Loser".

I think pointing and laughing is appropriate.

Warren is not here so she cannot back it up.

Yes, she can.

She said her family's lore maintained that the family had some Native American heritage. Warren's brothers and cousins remember hearing the same story about Delaware and Cherokee ancestors.

The lore might be wrong, but Warren's claim about it being part of her family's oral history has been substantiated.

So if the family lore said she was Napoleon Bonaparte she would have proof she was Napoleon Bonaparte?

Why so ridiculous?

- - - Updated - - -

Who the fuck really cares?

People at prestigious schools who want to promote they have "women of color" on their faculty, apparently.

Yes, she can.

So if the family lore said she was Napoleon Bonaparte she would have proof she was Napoleon Bonaparte?
You wrote "Warren cannot back it up period." There is no disputing that. Arctish showed she can back up that her family told her she was part Native American which unambiguously rebuts your claim. Period.

You are shifting the goal posts. She can back up that her family told her that she was part Native American which rebu
Why so ridiculous?
Now you know how most readers of your responses feel.

Yes, she can.

You wrote "Warren cannot back it up period." There is no disputing that. Arctish showed she can back up that her family told her she was part Native American which unambiguously rebuts your claim. Period.

You are shifting the goal posts. She can back up that her family told her that she was part Native American which rebu
Why so ridiculous?

Were you expecting something other from Dismal?

I think calling him Leif Eriksson might be most appropriate. Famous historical icon like Pocahontas but also wrong because he was not Swedish but Icelandic in the same way that Pocahontas was not Cherokee or Delaware but still Native American. It's something historically ignorant conservative bullies could really connect with as a name-calling label, but still Icelandic people may feel a bit offended to have Trump called Leif Eriksson. Example: "Someone thinks he's Leif Eriksson discovering Pocahontas. You're not Swedish, Trump. You lied."

Yes, she can.

Why so ridiculous?

- - - Updated - - -

My BiL researched his family tree and found their family is related to Chief Santigo of the Mackinaw Chippewa tribe.

http://www.genealogy.com/forum/general/topics/ai/10944/

They came from the Frasier/Frazer family. They believe the name difference came from someone making a spelling error of the birth certificate recording.

There is a room dedicated to the Chief at the Museum of Ojibwa Culture in St. Ignace, MI.

I think calling him Leif Eriksson might be most appropriate. Famous historical icon like Pocahontas but also wrong because he was not Swedish but Icelandic in the same way that Pocahontas was not Cherokee or Delaware but still Native American. It's something historically ignorant conservative bullies could really connect with as a name-calling label, but still Icelandic people may feel a bit offended to have Trump called Leif Eriksson. Example: "Someone thinks he's Leif Eriksson discovering Pocahontas. You're not Swedish, Trump. You lied."

"Laff at Leif the Loser" works, too.

Ordered mine!

Quick question: suppose Warren had taken a DNA test last year that showed she has a bit of Delaware and Cherokee ancestry. Who here thinks Trump wouldn't have mockingly called her Pocahontas if he knew she really is part Native American?

Quick question: suppose Warren had taken a DNA test last year that showed she has a bit of Delaware and Cherokee ancestry. Who here thinks Trump wouldn't have mockingly called her Pocahontas if he knew she really is part Native American?

I think it is important to keep one thing in mind when considering this question:

Trump is a dick.

He took the opportunity to swipe at Warren when he was supposed to be honoring Navajo Code Talkers. If he'd taken the opportunity to launch into an attack on Ted Cruz, or Hillary Clinton, or Rosie O'Donnell, it still would have been a dick move. If the Veterans weren't Navajo and he hijacked the event to complain about CNN, it still would have been a dick move. He does this sort of thing all the time, because Trump is a dick. I'm sure that if given the opportunity to speak at the Holocaust Museum, he'd use it to smear Chuck Schumer or fill in your Jewish person of choice here.

You people are too hard on Trump. He did not mean to insult anybody and he is not a racist.
The guy's brain is a lot like that Microsoft AI chat bot which turned to like Hitler. It is a rather simple neural net. Some stimuli fires some neuron then it fires next and you have Trump talking about something which is completely unrelated. Native Americans - Pocahontas - Warren - Me not like she. There are no neurons which could interfere with this path. If Trump had more time he would continue with his Rosie O'Donnell neurons being fired.

Trump is simply too dumb to be a racist or really anything he accused of. Some parts of the brain could even be missing, we simply don't know.

Last edited:
Trump is too dumb to be pond scum. Still, he's complicit.

You people are too hard on Trump. He did not mean to insult anybody and he is not a racist.
The guy's brain is a lot like that Microsoft AI chat bot which turned to like Hitler. It is a rather simple neural net. Some stimuli fires some neuron then it fires next and you have Trump talking about something which is completely unrelated. Native Americans - Pocahontas - Warren - Me not like she. There are no neurons which could interfere with this path. If Trump had more time he would continue with his Rosie O'Donnell neurons being fired.

Trump is simply too dumb to be a racist or really anything he accused of. Some parts of the brain could even be missing, we simply don't know.

If that were true, then he wouldn't have beat every single one of the thousand Republican candidates at their own game--negative campaigning. It's in the Republican election playbook: go negative, do it early, don't stop. His insults are not random, but instead an orchestrated agenda that he uses for everything. He even uses it for defending himself and minions: the best defense is a good offense. His attack on O'Donnell began in that context because she outed him as a jerk. After that, he made so much noise about her physical characteristics that no one remembers anything she said. Not random.

Back
Top Bottom