• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Trump falls!! Hurt too

Disagree. To date the US has only faced pretty incompetent assassins. The Secret Service should be able to stop them.
It's harder than most people realize to either assassinate someone or prevent an assassination.
There’s an old saying: if you’re going to kill the king don’t fail.

Von Stauffenberg found this out the hard way. He should have ran back towards the blast and shot him dead. He would have been killed but it wouldn’t matter much anyways.

It appears that Trump’s ear was hit by glass from the teleprompter. I wonder if the teleprompter deflected the bullet and that’s why he missed.
Are you sure about that? I just saw a photo showing the bullet (actually more of a vague fuzzy line) whizzing toward his head. But maybe that was faked?
Faked.

When objects are moving many times their size in the period the sensor is recording them they basically just disappear. You're going to get one bullet image, the more pixels it's spread over the fainter it will be in each pixel. It doesn't take a lot to get below the noise floor.

Disagree. To date the US has only faced pretty incompetent assassins. The Secret Service should be able to stop them.
It's harder than most people realize to either assassinate someone or prevent an assassination.
There’s an old saying: if you’re going to kill the king don’t fail.

Von Stauffenberg found this out the hard way. He should have ran back towards the blast and shot him dead. He would have been killed but it wouldn’t matter much anyways.
Gavrilo Princip was aided by five other conspirators in the field, yet thir plot was only saved by spectacular happenstance several hours after it seemed to have irretrievably failed. He then tried and failed to commit suicide as per the original plan, rounding out the whole affair as a success sandwich with failures for buns. (And then 20 million people died)

Reactions: SLD
It appears that Trump’s ear was hit by glass from the teleprompter. I wonder if the teleprompter deflected the bullet and that’s why he missed.
Are you sure about that? I just saw a photo showing the bullet (actually more of a vague fuzzy line) whizzing toward his head. But maybe that was faked?
Anything can be faked, but the photographer was on NPR this morning and was discussing the bureau calling him after they noticed it in the image. He said he took the exposure at 1/8000 sec, which I'm impressed because that aperture must be 1.x or something (professional photographer after all).
But why?!?!

ISO 100, f1.4 at 1/8,000th gives ev 14 which is possible, but f1.4 simply doesn't come in long lenses. Thus he's pushing the ISO up to gain ev, but that's adding noise to your image in exchange for freezing motion that isn't there in the first place.

What would be the point of making an exposure of at 1/8000 sec for a run of the mill campaign event? Wouldn't you normally only use settings like that when you are knowingly recording high speed events? I think I'm starting to drift into vast conspiracy land here....:cautious:
Why wouldn't you? Bare background with absolutely no interest in depth of field. He was probably shooting several apertures, several speeds. I don't have a $5000 lens so, I don't have to worry about whether to shoot at these settings, but I do know when I shoot photography, I don't have one setting and just leave it there.
But why? Most cameras won't even go that fast. I can't picture any setup where 1/8000 could produce a better image than 1/4000 in this sort of situation. Sometimes you need to push your shutter speed up to eat up light when using a very fast lens and you want a very low depth of field, but I'm not coming up with something that would go this far.

'Reaping what you sow' comes to mind.

Trump said Pence should be hung and it was repeated by the Capitol mob. Trump sad nothing about the violence that people inside building as it was stormed. Violence he instigated and the republicans did not condemn.

I do not support political violence, but as usual Trump;s problems are his own doing which he never takes responsibility for.

I listened to a news segment with a University Of Chicago political science professor. Polls conducted show increasing numbers of people on both sides think using violence is accessible.

He said polling shewed about 20% of those on the left support sung violence to keep Trump out of office.

So it begins. The race to the bottom.

Faked.

When objects are moving many times their size in the period the sensor is recording them they basically just disappear. You're going to get one bullet image, the more pixels it's spread over the fainter it will be in each pixel. It doesn't take a lot to get below the noise floor.
It appears to be authentic:

Photographer Doug Mills on capturing bullet during Trump's rally assassination attempt

"When he was ushered off the stage, I thought that was going to be the picture that, you know, he was bloodied ear, gave that fist pump. And I thought, you know, as I'm looking back at my camera, I'm sending pictures directly to The New York Times from my camera," said Mills.

Mills suddenly realized he had forgotten to send the photos taken while Trump was speaking. As he reviewed them, he noticed Trump grimacing and thought it might be the moment he was shot. He immediately sent those images to his editor and urged her to closely examine them. Although she initially doubted it, she called back a few minutes later and let him know he had captured something bigger – an image likely to be seen in history books years from now.

Little Marco Rubio is telling the folks that the Hand of God deflected the bullet that nearly killed Trump. How many of the folks do you think will believe just that?
So god directed the bullet to kill the firefighter and gravely wound two others?
Yes, it PROVES that Trump is better than Jesus.
God gave Jesus one dinner, a night on a cross, three days in a cave and sayanara.

What would be the point of making an exposure of at 1/8000 sec for a run of the mill campaign event? Wouldn't you normally only use settings like that when you are knowingly recording high speed events? I think I'm starting to drift into vast conspiracy land here....:cautious:
Why wouldn't you? Bare background with absolutely no interest in depth of field. He was probably shooting several apertures, several speeds. I don't have a $5000 lens so, I don't have to worry about whether to shoot at these settings, but I do know when I shoot photography, I don't have one setting and just leave it there.
But why? Most cameras won't even go that fast. I can't picture any setup where 1/8000 could produce a better image than 1/4000 in this sort of situation. Sometimes you need to push your shutter speed up to eat up light when using a very fast lens and you want a very low depth of field, but I'm not coming up with something that would go this far.
Don't ask me. I just use a polaroid.

Nope. Someone actually got a shot of the bullet in mid air.

13election-live-photo-assess-articleLarge-v2.jpg
From the layout of the scene in the New York Times that would have to be a bullet that already missed. He's also pretty much looking at the shooter. And I still don't think you're going to record a streak that long, there's only one image of a bullet actually hitting the sensor, that long also means that weak.

I'm not making light of the attempt on Trump's life but his injuries were minor and he'll make as much hay as possible off of it. I mean, they had the photo shot all lined up, ready to do. How fortuitous.
The shutter would have to be tripped before the photographer could possibly be aware of the bullet. Probably before the bullet was even fired. If that's real (and I don't think it is) it's certainly fortuitous.

I listened to a news segment with a University Of Chicago political science professor. Polls conducted show increasing numbers of people on both sides think using violence is accessible.

He said polling shewed about 20% of those on the left support sung violence to keep Trump out of office.
That to me would be a highly situational question. Political assassinations are morally reprehensible and undemocratic. But the police and military would have been justified in physically removing him from office that January, had he refused to vacate his office after losing the election. I say this merely to point out that the vaguely worded survey does not necessarily mean what the various pundits have been claiming it means all day today. One can believe in the occasional necessity of violence without endorsing every form of violence.

'Reaping what you sow' comes to mind.

Trump said Pence should be hung and it was repeated by the Capitol mob. Trump sad nothing about the violence that people inside building as it was stormed. Violence he instigated and the republicans did not condemn.

I do not support political violence, but as usual Trump;s problems are his own doing which he never takes responsibility for.

So it begins. The race to the bottom.
Trump -- and various Fox people and Repub pols -- joked about the attack that left Paul Pelosi with a skull fracture. The Right was chuckling over the notion that it was a gay lover thing. Trump did bits about Mr. Pelosi at his rallies and his caveman audience guffawed at them. Fuck this man and his morally squalid party. Now we're hearing their angry-faced denunciations of 'hate speech' from the left that supposedly led to Butler. Totally predictable from a party that, like its hero, never takes responsibility for political violence perpetrated from its own ranks, but instead makes it into party jokes or labels it "legitimate political discourse", which is a purely Orwellian phrase.
The thugocracy looms.

Nope. Someone actually got a shot of the bullet in mid air.

13election-live-photo-assess-articleLarge-v2.jpg
That looks far to thin to be a bullet. It seems only about 2 mm thick, whereas an actual bullet is at least 1/2 cm thick.

Back
Top Bottom