• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Trump VS COVID-19 Threat

Holy shit. Can y'all imagine if Trump actually dies from COVID?

It will be "like a miracle".

Yabut, rumor has it that he has already voted.
If he dies before election day, does his vote still count?
Should Democrats riot in protest of counting dead people's votes?
I don't think Abe Lincoln got to vote.

My GUESS...
If the incumbent president dies in office once the election starts (it started - ballots are being submitted - but it "starts" at the beginning of the first primary election), then the vice president becomes the president, but no one can vote for him because he is not on the ballots to be voted for. Only states that allow a write-in vote could cast votes for him.

So the challenger would pretty much automatically win... since votes for a dead person cannot be counted nor attributed to another person.

on the other hand, It could be argued in court (and would be) that the vote for a recently deceased incumbent would be counted for the new incumbent... but that would be a hard sell.

Another argument would be that the election is invalidated, and a new set of ballots (and potentially a new primary) would be started all over again.

These are all valid arguments and it could go any way.

Remember the electors in the Electoral College cast votes for a President-Vice President pair. So if they vote for Trump-Pence then, even if Trump has died, then Pence as Vice President-elect would become the President for the next term according to the Constitution.

Remember the electors in the Electoral College cast votes for a President-Vice President pair. So if they vote for Trump-Pence then, even if Trump has died, then Pence as Vice President-elect would become the President for the next term according to the Constitution.

Ah ha. That sounds about right.

My GUESS...
If the incumbent president dies in office once the election starts (it started - ballots are being submitted - but it "starts" at the beginning of the first primary election), then the vice president becomes the president, but no one can vote for him because he is not on the ballots to be voted for. Only states that allow a write-in vote could cast votes for him.

So the challenger would pretty much automatically win... since votes for a dead person cannot be counted nor attributed to another person.

on the other hand, It could be argued in court (and would be) that the vote for a recently deceased incumbent would be counted for the new incumbent... but that would be a hard sell.

Another argument would be that the election is invalidated, and a new set of ballots (and potentially a new primary) would be started all over again.

This is not a good guess.

You don't vote for Joe Biden or Donald Trump. You're voting for electors who have pledged to vote for one or the other candidate, since the US is not a direct democracy. Any votes that have been collected from early voting would be allocated to an elector who is pledged to the new candidate that the party chooses, and the new candidate would appear on the ballot on election day, if not sooner on mailed ballots as well. If he dies after the polls have closed, but before the votes are counted that same process applies, and the electors will still be the ones who ultimately choose the winner - though the concept of faithless elector gets a bit murky here. If he dies after the resolution of the election, then the standard rules of succession would apply even though he had not taken his oath and actually started his term.

My GUESS...

This is not a good guess.

You don't vote for Joe Biden or Donald Trump. You're voting for electors who have pledged to vote for one or the other candidate, since the US is not a direct democracy. Any votes that have been collected from early voting would be allocated to an elector who is pledged to the new candidate that the party chooses,
I think the GOP is out of it now. Granted, they have a connection to the electors, but I think we fall into state laws at this point. Some states say you can't not be a faithless elector and must vote for the candidate. Meanwhile states may (or may not) have laws regarding cases of death of a candidate.

...and the new candidate would appear on the ballot on election day,
Ballot deadlines have passed, most likely.
if not sooner on mailed ballots as well. If he dies after the polls have closed, but before the votes are counted that same process applies, and the electors will still be the ones who ultimately choose the winner - though the concept of faithless elector gets a bit murky here. If he dies after the resolution of the election, then the standard rules of succession would apply even though he had not taken his oath and actually started his term.
There are specific dates for the submittal of ev's and counting of them, so those are likely critical.

This is certainly a muddled situation, if there is a death. Nothing like this has happened before, but it being 2020 and all... looks like the Mayans were 8 years off on their calendar.

Hopefully Biden wins out right and it doesn't matter if Trump lives or dies.

I think the GOP is out of it now. Granted, they have a connection to the electors, but I think we fall into state laws at this point. Some states say you can't not be a faithless elector and must vote for the candidate. Meanwhile states may (or may not) have laws regarding cases of death of a candidate.

if not sooner on mailed ballots as well. If he dies after the polls have closed, but before the votes are counted that same process applies, and the electors will still be the ones who ultimately choose the winner - though the concept of faithless elector gets a bit murky here. If he dies after the resolution of the election, then the standard rules of succession would apply even though he had not taken his oath and actually started his term.
There are specific dates for the submittal of ev's and counting of them, so those are likely critical.

This is certainly a muddled situation, if there is a death. Nothing like this has happened before, but it being 2020 and all... looks like the Mayans were 8 years off on their calendar.

A couple of possibly consequential things..

Amy Coney Barrett is being recommended for quarantine. This could impact the timeline of her inevitable confirmation, and perhaps even the inevitability thereof.
The mere fact (if it is one) that Trump hath been stricken could sow the seeds of doubt about his divinity in the minds of some of his lemmings.
I haven't heard whether Mike Pence has spoken to God about it, but it appears that God may have changed His mind about wanting Trump for another 4 years.

It's not supposition on my part, this has happened before https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horace_Greeley#Presidential_candidate

His death came before the Electoral College balloted. His 66 electoral votes were divided among four others, principally Indiana governor-elect Thomas A. Hendricks and Greeley's vice presidential running mate, Benjamin Gratz Brown.[120]

Could be that Mike Pence becomes the presumptive nominee. After all, he's been one heartbeat from the Presidency for four years.

That implies he has a heart. False.

Anyway, back to the title: Round 1: Covid.

Yeah, mother took his heart and put it in a box like a Disney soap opera.

Democrats press Azar on COVID-19 efforts at testy hearing shortly after Trump tests positive | TheHill
About pResident tRump's rallies:
Azar on Friday declined to answer questions about whether he had advised the president not to hold those rallies, where mask-wearing and social distancing were rarely practiced.

“I’m not going to discuss my discussions with the president, but the president’s guidelines since April have said wear face coverings, wash your hands, wear face coverings, practice social distancing,” Azar said.

He was also asked why the first family did not wear masks at Tuesday's presidential debate in Cleveland.

“The protective aspect around the president is a different situation than the rest of us because of the protocols around the first family,” Azar said, likely referring to the regular testing of those in contact with Trump.
Seems very evasive. What's going on here? Was he afraid to displease his boss? Risk getting sent into the political cornfield?

Stand-alone bill to provide relief for airlines blocked on House floor | TheHill

Seems very evasive. What's going on here? Was he afraid to displease his boss?
Probably afraid to quote his boss.
He'll say, 'I told him maybe he shouldn't hold the rallies, cuz contagious."
They'll instantly ask, 'And what did he say to that?'
"I don't really recall..."
"May i remind you you're under oath? And it's possible thst we have a whistleblower who can confirm your memory?"
"Well, he said, 'At least i will be isolated. And safe.' More or less."
"Is it possible he said, 'Any those fuckers try to breathe on me, the (Secret) Service'll shoot 'em between their little piggy eyes.' Or something like that?"

Pelosi anticipates reaching economic relief deal with Mnuchin, saying Trump diagnosis ‘changes the dynamic’ - The Washington Post
House Speaker Nancy Pelosi said Friday she anticipates striking a bipartisan economic relief deal with the Trump administration, suggesting that the president’s coronavirus diagnosis could speed up an agreement. She called on airlines to hold off on imminent furloughs pending a deal.

“This kind of changes the dynamic because here they see the reality of what we have been saying all along — this is a vicious virus,” Pelosi (D-Calif.) said on MSNBC.

“I’m optimistic. I’m always optimistic,” she said. “We always have to find a path — that is our responsibility to do so — and I believe that we will.”
At best, that would be agreement between the House leadership and the President's staff. What will the Senate leadership do?

Trump Administration Finds Covid Cure
Doctors at Walter Reed Hospital, working on a tip from Kellyanne Conway's staff, have announced a covid vaccine that can go into production next week. After isolating the strand of covid in Conway's bloodstream, they mapped its DNA and discovered the DNA profile contained a message in binary code. According to lab technicians, the virus wrote, "Get us out of this bitch! We can't breathe!!! The cure is Nutella + hydroxychloroquine + Clorox 2!!! Trump had it, btw, he just didn't put it all together. Now get us OUT OF HER. SHE'S KILLING US."

So, COVID19 tests positive for Trump, a nation mourns?

I don't see a lot of mourning. I see a lot of concern that as usual, we are not being given the truth from the white house.

I am concerned what this will do to the chances of throwing the asshole out and taking the senate too. And if the asshole does die, who would the GOP pick as the candidate?

Back
Top Bottom