• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Trumpists Are Suffering the Free Market Consequences Of Being Deplorable

You are trying to justify uncivil behavior (throwing people out of restaurants) because you claim to not like uncivil behavior, like lying and rudeness.
About as absurd a defense imaginable.

How do you teach a child to stop hitting their sibling? Do you merely say, "Don't do that." Or do you offer a meaningful punishment to emphasize the seriousness of the transgression?

The ONLY push-back against uncivil behavior is uncivil behavior. Turning the other cheek emboldens perpetrators of uncivil behavior.

How does government handle uncivil behavior like kidnapping? They kidnap the kidnapper. They confine him/her in an unpleasant environment against their will for years at a time.

It feels like you are objecting to the concept of 'consequences' as a whole. Just ignoring transgressions is not justice.

The choice is not between being a bully and being bullied.

It is between being a bully and not being a bully.

False equivalence. Again, the act of kicking someone out of a restaurant is not the issue. People get kicked out of restaurants all the time for a myriad of different perfectly legitimate reasons.

Thus, the issue is the reason behind the act, not the act itself. I.e., rational vs irrational.

In this case, the reason was that Sanders is a willing participant in a fascist state who constantly lies to the American people about that state. Feeding her (arguably) contributes to her ongoing existence which in turn contributes to her ongoing erosion of our nation.

Again, tenuous, but justifiable.

When I see the phrase "false equivalence" when no equivalence was ever implied I cringe.

Then don’t outright state a false equivalence.

You are trying to justify uncivil behavior

Yes, good, now you’re caught up. It is the justification that matters, nothing else.

You are trying to justify uncivil behavior (throwing people out of restaurants) because you claim to not like uncivil behavior, like lying and rudeness.
About as absurd a defense imaginable.

How do you teach a child to stop hitting their sibling? Do you merely say, "Don't do that." Or do you offer a meaningful punishment to emphasize the seriousness of the transgression?

One thing you don't do is hit them as punishment.

But bringing in children is a way to cloud the issue.

It never clarifies issues among adults.

The ONLY push-back against uncivil behavior is uncivil behavior.

Gandhi might disagree.

How does government handle uncivil behavior like kidnapping? They kidnap the kidnapper.

This stretches the meaning of "uncivil".

This is seriously harmful behavior.

When I see the phrase "false equivalence" when no equivalence was ever implied I cringe.

Then don’t outright state a false equivalence.

Never did and you can't show one.

The term was invented by right wingers during the Reagan years to stifle examination of US crimes. It is meaningless gibberish.

I was making no equivalence no less a false one, whatever the hell that is supposed to mean.

You are trying to justify uncivil behavior

Yes, good, now you’re caught up. It is the justification that matters, nothing else.

No what you are justifying is what matters.

You are justifying rude behavior because you don't like the rude behavior of somebody else.

It is hypocrisy at it's finest.

Whatever happened to "bake the damn cake"?

Read Koy's response again.

Also, one can't help but approve that she was being judged not for the color of her skin, but the content of her character.

- - - Updated - - -

The Dems are going to get slaughtered in the next election.

because of _this?_

Yes because f this. Well really because of how their disinformation and propaganda machine can spin actions like this to make them the martyr. Their believers eat it up and never notice irony, double standards, etc... They can be raging assholes right to the top of their leadership in the whitehouse. But look at the spin on "optics" even in this thread.

One thing you don't do is hit them as punishment.
Nobody said anything about hitting them. I said that a punishment more meaningful than saying "Don't do that" is warranted. I never suggested an eye for an eye is a good policy.
But bringing in children is a way to cloud the issue.

It never clarifies issues among adults.
It doesn't cloud the issue, it helps establish a universal standard applied to all uncivil behavior.
The ONLY push-back against uncivil behavior is uncivil behavior.

Gandhi might disagree.
You think Gandhi never broke the law? Never upset anyone? Gandhi was the leader of a civil disobedience movement? What do you think he was doing?

How does government handle uncivil behavior like kidnapping? They kidnap the kidnapper.

This stretches the meaning of "uncivil".

This is seriously harmful behavior.
No, it fits the meaning of uncivil just fine, bad behavior on the part of citizens is met with 'bad behavior' on the part of society everywhere that justice is considered a virtue. Also, BTW, the damage Trump's polices rend is also "seriously harmful."

This incident was not merely a matter of tit-for-tat discrimination against someone with opposing beliefs. I'd be willing to bet the Red Hen restaurant is full of conservatives on any given day and no one blinks, as it should be. Lexington, Virginia is not exactly a hippie haven.

This was about a specific, powerful, high-profile individual who gains a paycheck and fame by defending a corrupt and dangerous White House and who uses her position of power to lie to the American people on a daily basis and to help cover up and distort inhumane, unethical, unconstitutional actions on the part of the current administration.

Sanders responded by tweeting nasty comments about Red Hen and its owner and dishonestly claimed moral superiority. She is being held accountable and that is understandably uncomfortable for her, but it was her choice to take such a powerful position and remains her choice to abuse it as she does.

Also, right wing authoritarian mouthpiece is not a protected class.

Never did and you can't show one.

Are you going to take your ball and go home, then? You falsely equated being a bully with acting like a bully, which in this case was justifiable. And what Angry Floof said.

The term was invented by right wingers during the Reagan years...

The term is a logical fallacy that can trace its roots to Aristotle. You should read up on it as you commit it again here:

You are justifying rude behavior because you don't like the rude behavior of somebody else.

You just falsely equated lying in aid of a fascist state with refusing restaurant service to an individual because they lie in aid of a fascist state.

It is hypocrisy at it's finest.

Oh, no, not at it’s finest! Heaven forfend.

You think the word “hypocrisy” is some sort of magical talisman do you? Seems to me just another tool of the oppressor, but if you want to keep pretending your shit doesn’t stink, you go right ahead and keep doing you. We’ll take action while you polish your monocle.

Here’s the thing. Only Republicans are allowed to be bullies. Democrats are the bullied. Think back to high school. I would bet even money that anyone from your high school that was a bully then is a Republican now and anyone that was bullied then is a Democrat now. Some may have crossed over; the bullied growing up refusing to be bullied and what are they now? Republicans.

So what happens the minute anyone from the bullied ranks tries to step up and be a bully? Instant hypocritical outrage form the bullies. How dare you step out of your place; only we can do that.

And one of the tools of keeping the bullied in place is what Untermensch invoked; taking the high road. While true—Gandhi seemed to use it to effective ends as well as King, at least outwardly if we ignore the more questionable practices in their personal lives—it is still a tool that keeps us in our place and the bullies in their place.

Just look at everything Trump has gotten away with that would never have been tolerated for a single news cycle had it been done by any Dem. Republicans—the bullies—have conditioned Americans into an environment where they can lie, cheat and steal while Democrats can’t even use an email server.

And no, it does not make us “just like them” for one simple reason; we can determine right from wrong. They kick someone out of their restaurant based on ingrained ignorance in regard to how much melanin is in their skin. We kick someone out of our restaurant based on a full understanding of their willing participation in disseminating fascist lies.

These are not equivalent. Or, rather, they are equal actions, with disparate justifications, which makes all the difference. Iow, it isn’t the fact that someone was kicked out of restaurant; it is the reason they were kicked out that matters. We have no issue with a proprietor kicking an abusive individual out of their restaurant or a drunk, obnoxious person out, etc. So the act of kicking someone out isn’t relevant. The only relevance is why they are being kicked out and in that regard there is no equivalence.

UM also mentioned Obama’s drone program. And, believe it or not, UM, I’m not singling you out in any of this, just riffing on what you’ve posted as they are points well made and time worn through no fault of your own.

If a proprietor were to kick Obama out for the express reason that the proprietor felt the drone program was unethical, then I think that’s a justifiable reason to refuse Obama service. If, however, he kicked him out because Obama was black, not justifiable.

Iow, an ethical reason for action is justifiable, but a bigoted/ignorant reason for action is not. Or, rather, is less justifiable, but for the same fundamental reason; by not acting on one’s ethics, it is arguably participating or in some way supporting the untethical act of the individual in question. Iow, by NOT kicking someone like Sanders out of your restaurant, an argument could be made that you are participating in or otherwise supporting or even condoning the unethical behavior. You are, after all, providing sustenance to a perpetrator of evil against mankind.

It may be tenuous, but it is certainly arguable that by feeding a nazi (and thereby contributing to their continued existence) you are contributing to the problem.

you mean like this?

The police put those two restaurant owners in jail and the town was outraged.
https://www.heraldcourier.com/news/...cle_1ef9fd2a-c44a-57af-a2fd-c3e50c275f36.html

They got pounded on social media and the place closed.

repoman said:
you mean like this? *snip video*

That appears to be two men yelling anti-Semitic slurs at someone on a street. So, no, I don’t mean like that or understand what that had to do with anything I posted.

I thought progressives and democrats were supposed to be the party of tolerance?

Well I guess not in this case.

They appear only accepting of views similar to their own apparently.

I thought progressives and democrats were supposed to be the party of tolerance?

Yeah, that's the ticket! Nothing else at all to see here. ;)

Which makes fascists and republicans the party of intolerance. See how easy it is to keep it all straight?

Moral false equivalency in 3...2....1...

“Appear” and (redundantly) “Apparently” being the operative terms of course.

The Dems and the progressives are less tolerant and more violent.

I'm plenty accepting of views different from my own, I just don't want to help out people working to destroy things I care about. Do you?

Gandhi might disagree.

Gandhi and his people were already downtrodden and oppressed. We are not, and we shouldn't have to act like we are. This is supposed to be a free nation and those motherfuckers are trying to take that from us. And this isn't the British we're dealing with. These are a lot closer to Nazis. How do you suppose Gandhi would've fared in Hitler's Germany? He would've been summarily executed and his followers sent off to death camps.

Have you read the Turner Diaries? If not, it's a must read because it gives you some frightening insight into the mind of the Trump supporter. It's also something of a page turner, as loathe as I am to admit that.

The Dems and the progressives are less tolerant and more violent.

By all means, feel quite free to expand on that. I for one, am dying to hear all about it.

Back
Top Bottom