• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Trump's Commission on Voter Fraud

...I prefer what we have--electronic voting with a paper tape in the machine that we can read our votes on. This provides an audit trail that makes it much harder to mess with undetectably.

Except that we don't have that in all locations (and that is what I meant by paper ballots as a back-up). I would also like to have a receipt of sorts to the voter that they can see to confirm their vote was recorded correctly.

Better yet, there should be a way to use your receipt to confirm that your vote was counted, too.

Except that we don't have that in all locations (and that is what I meant by paper ballots as a back-up). I would also like to have a receipt of sorts to the voter that they can see to confirm their vote was recorded correctly.

Better yet, there should be a way to use your receipt to confirm that your vote was counted, too.

Receipts violate the privacy of the ballot box. Bad idea.

Read on electoral-vote.com that this effort is dead now.

If Trump even makes it to next year, probably there will be a report indicating we need more transparency and have to secure the voting setup.

The receipt does not have to include who you voted for, just that you voted and ultimately that vote was counted. As it stands now, I can only trust that my ballot is counted.

Read on electoral-vote.com that this effort is dead now.

If Trump even makes it to next year, probably there will be a report indicating we need more transparency and have to secure the voting setup.

"the Commission has paused their data-collection efforts, at least until the lawsuits are resolved. Given that they are likely to lose both of the suits described above, and given also that the states remain intransigent, it seems well within in the realm of possibility that the "pause" will be permanent, and maybe even that the Commission itself will quietly disband."

Sounds more like a prediction than a done deal, but still - encouraging.

The receipt does not have to include who you voted for, just that you voted and ultimately that vote was counted. As it stands now, I can only trust that my ballot is counted.

Getting a piece of paper that says your vote was counted doesn't necessarily mean your vote was counted.

Getting a piece of paper that says your vote was counted doesn't necessarily mean your vote was counted.

The receipt would allow you to check against some database of counted votes to match up some randomly assigned code (or some such) on your receipt to the log of counted votes.

The receipt would allow you to check against some database of counted votes to match up some randomly assigned code (or some such) on your receipt to the log of counted votes.

I like that idea. It seems to work. But we still need to save the paper ballots. If some threshold of voters complain their votes were miscounted then do a paper ballot recount. +1

Just a PSA, this is totally possible to do without revealing your vote or allowing third party coercion, and some municipalities already use variants for local elections. Maybe we'll get a push for them to be rolled out nationally...

End-to-end auditable voting systems

Perhaps we can solve this problem the same way we're going to solve the cybersecurity problem. We could do a joint voter integrity commision with Russia!

And would cause lots of gripes when the poll workers ignore absentee ballots. They're a lot harder to count so if they find themselves in a position where it's mathematically impossible for the absentee ballots to change any election they aren't counted.

And would cause lots of gripes when the poll workers ignore absentee ballots. They're a lot harder to count so if they find themselves in a position where it's mathematically impossible for the absentee ballots to change any election they aren't counted.

Considering that multiple things (often dozens) are being voted for on a single ballot it would seem imprudent to not count the entire ballot. They may not be counted expeditiously, but one would hope that they are ultimately counted.

Or, y'know, poll workers could actually count all of the ballots.

Heritage Foundation, 1,071 cases of voter fraud, most of which since 2000. STOP

The US suffers from an average of 66 or so cases of voter fraud a year. STOP

Trump Admin hasn't noticed 1,071 seems much much lower than millions in just 2016 General Election alone. STOP

We must restrict access to the ballot because Republicans are trying to feed false bullshit narrative to their base... of which they'll believe anything. STOP

In Trump Administration anything can be true if the Trump Administration wants it to be. STOP

If you are liberal just stop voting. STOP

Back
Top Bottom