• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Trump's plan to fix higher education

The "school debt that can never be paid off" is due to a couple of basic problems. First off, schools have figured out that they can essentially charge whatever the fuck they want. Tuition at Central Redneck State University is now equivalent to what you might have paid for Yale a couple decades ago. Second, the student loan system is - and I'm going to type this slowly - rigged so that it can (in your words) never be paid off. Student loans last as long as a traditional mortgage, but unlike a mortgage cannot be discharged via bankruptcy. Graduate from Southern Football College with 100k of debt and get hit by a bus coming back from the ceremony? Your "estate" will owe that money forever. That needs to stop.
Your estate will have nothing, the debt vanishes. I've handled an estate before, even with money in the estate the creditors that didn't follow the rules got nothing. (Morons, all you had to do was file with the court as I told you. But, no, you had to harass me instead--and the clock ran out. I felt no obligation to pay the assholes that had been harassing me.)
Curious bit of estate trivia. Louisiana's civil law it based on Napoleonic Code. Under Louisiana law, if an heir accepts any asset from the estate, they also assume responsibility for any debts.

Your estate will have nothing, the debt vanishes. I've handled an estate before, even with money in the estate the creditors that didn't follow the rules got nothing. (Morons, all you had to do was file with the court as I told you. But, no, you had to harass me instead--and the clock ran out. I felt no obligation to pay the assholes that had been harassing me.)
Curious bit of estate trivia. Louisiana's civil law it based on Napoleonic Code. Under Louisiana law, if an heir accepts any asset from the estate, they also assume responsibility for any debts.
Isn't that how it is everywhere? Debts must be paid before assets are distributed. If you got assets and debts went unpaid my understanding is the creditors get to go after you to the value of the assets you got.

Why should people be allowed to inherit with debts unpaid???

Isn't that how it is everywhere? Debts must be paid before assets are distributed. If you got assets and debts went unpaid my understanding is the creditors get to go after you to the value of the assets you got.

It's my understanding that Louisiana's code is different in that if a person accepts any portion of an estate, however small, they can be sued for the total of the debt.

Hold higher institutions accountable for getting rid of extra and needless administration,
How will we determine what's needless? Will stuff be just declared needless if Trump can't, won't, or doesn't understand its purpose?

Or should we set up an administrative committee to look into what is needed and what is needless? ;)
If it is not a professor or someone else actually teaching a student, they really aren't needed.
And yet the Trump political engine savages professors in the press, accuses us of every dire crime from under the sun from Marxism to pedophilia, and introduces legislation that makes it inconvenient, inefficient, or impossible for us to do our jobs. Including your bullshit drive to eliminate the administrative system. If all of the presidents, deans and administrative assistants were fired tomorrow, I'd have to waste time figuring out how many janitors to hire this year, desigining evaluation standards to meet the latest benchmark from the state, or fundraising for the Foundation... instead of teaching my classes. The same work would still need to be done, no matter who was doing it, and this bipartisan game of introducing contradictory legislation every two years only balloons the amount of bullshit work that must be done. You think it's a great idea to "Ban CRT", but don't think about the fact that regulating curriculum in any degree generates mountains of nonsensical work that no one has the time to do. But by golly, you're sure it could be done with fewer workers making smaller wages.

Fuck Trump, and whoever wrote this "plan" for him. I doubt he'd be able to remember anything about it without a cue card in hand.

Republicans do appeal to educated people. Lots of educated conservatives out there. Even ones good at math. They connect on social inertia, 1960s racism, and by convincing these people we don't need to pay for stuff.
It's very easy to be an educated Republican. You just have to be willing to lie.

For schools, the GOP is trying to kill public schooling (a cornerstone of our nation for longer than it has been a country), so they can own the teachers, own the schools, own the message.
To some extent. But it's also a manifestation of their larger project to eliminate all federal oversight and agencies whose policies can be set or altered through representative democracy. It's not just the DOE, they're at war with the Fed. With the IRS. With the EPA. With the Energy department. With the Parks Service. With the Mint. With the goddamned Postal Service. They don't call themselves either anarchists or authoritarians officially (since they are already a minority party and can't afford to scare either faction away) but you can predict what a Republican thinks about any government office that isn't under direct military or executive control, without even asking. All federal control should either rest directly in the White House, or via a presidential proxy understanding of how the Pentagon should function. When they say they hate democrats, they do not just mean the Party.

It's my understanding that Louisiana's code is different in that if a person accepts any portion of an estate, however small, they can be sued for the total of the debt.
Ok, that would be different--and quite unfair. Give the black sheep of the family something small from the deadbeat's estate.

Ok, that would be different--and quite unfair. Give the black sheep of the family something small from the deadbeat's estate.
It's a standard part of the sales pitch for credit life insurance.

Back
Top Bottom