• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Twitter likely to take idiots offer to buy them for $43 billion

He knew how to run Tesla and SpaceX,
But does he? Tesla was started by other people. Under him they announced self driving cars, which are little more that upgraded cruise control. Use it for anything else and you are asking for a collision. He announced electric trucks, which never materialized. SpaceX had big asperations, but is not going anywhere, and no where near profitable. Plus all his other vaporware projects.

It's like all his big plans are looking into old sci-fi stories, says they are going to make that, get money from investors, and when the project stalls because of reality he moves onto the next big thing that they will have available in "2 years".

But does he? Tesla was started by other people. Under him they announced self driving cars, which are little more that upgraded cruise control. Use it for anything else and you are asking for a collision. He announced electric trucks, which never materialized. SpaceX had big asperations, but is not going anywhere, and no where near profitable. Plus all his other vaporware projects.

It's like all his big plans are looking into old sci-fi stories, says they are going to make that, get money from investors, and when the project stalls because of reality he moves onto the next big thing that they will have available in "2 years".
But Tesla managed to sell electric cars. The achievement in Tesla is that creating a car company from scratch, even if he came in later, is virtually impossible. But still, a car company is not a social media company. Eventually you can sell the cars. He managed to piss off the people who were giving Twitter money freely.

Thunderf00t is a scientist on YouTube who calls out bullshit. First started watching him for his "Why People Laugh at Creationists" series,
I don’t know what kind of scientist he is but I started to watch that series and he almost immediately got something wrong about astronomy. He claimed that H2O is the second most common molecule in the universe, obviously assuming that since he claimed that oxygen is the third most common element (need to check on that) that H2O must be most common after H2. But the reality is that most of the oxygen is connected to carbon, with CO being the next most common molecule after H2, at an abundance of 1E-4 in dense molecular clouds. H2O does indeed exist in the interstellar medium but it is far from the most common molecule.

Thunderf00t is a scientist on YouTube who calls out bullshit. First started watching him for his "Why People Laugh at Creationists" series,
I don’t know what kind of scientist he is but I started to watch that series and he almost immediately got something wrong about astronomy. He claimed that H2O is the second most common molecule in the universe, obviously assuming that since he claimed that oxygen is the third most common element (need to check on that) that H2O must be most common after H2. But the reality is that most of the oxygen is connected to carbon, with CO being the next most common molecule after H2, at an abundance of 1E-4 in dense molecular clouds. H2O does indeed exist in the interstellar medium but it is far from the most common molecule.
He's one of the "Anita Sarkeesian is a woman!!!!!!" crowd who faded into obscurity a long time ago. Old man yells at cloud type of expert.

He's one of the "Anita Sarkeesian is a woman!!!!!!" crowd who faded into obscurity a long time ago. Old man yells at cloud type of expert.
It’s just a bad look to start a video where you make fun on someone else for their bad science with your own bad science.

That's okay, I was thinking the second most common molecule was He2. Yeah... it took me a bit to figure out how stupid that was. :confused:

Ford created a car company and he had one or two key people he hired to create the assembly line.

But in the long run he was not a good businessman.

Anyone who would take such a risk in these times probably did not do sufficient analysis.

Twitter has no physical assets or products. It is a service industry that depends on advertising confidence and user interest.
Not the same as a car company with an emerging market for EVs.

He is acting very Trump like.

He went counter to prevailing mainstream views and said he was going to create what he thinks os an open true free speech glbal town square. Reinstate those that were banned. Advertisers are not going to associate with that crazin

As crazy as Trump.

I am not surprised that CO would be the most common molecule containing Oxygen, but I would have guessed that CH4 would be more abundant, on the crude basis that Carbon is the lightest ert* element on the right hand side of the periodic table, and there's a shitload of Hydrogen to go around.

*(If the opposite of "inert" isn't "ert", then it bloody well ought to be)

I am not surprised that CO would be the most common molecule containing Oxygen, but I would have guessed that CH4 would be more abundant, on the crude basis that Carbon is the lightest ert* element on the right hand side of the periodic table, and there's a shitload of Hydrogen to go around.

*(If the opposite of "inert" isn't "ert", then it bloody well ought to be)
It will depend on the chemistry though. It’s not just about abundance. CO is pretty stable in the gas phase. I think CH4 freezes out onto dust grains. It’s been a while since I did this stuff so I’d have to go look things up.

Inching his way along the DK curve.

This is kind of like before Trump became president, you knew he was kind of dumb, but not the sheer depths of how dumb. Now everyone knows it about Musk.

If I started a new job and acted like Musk is acting now I'd be fired within hours. It's like a Seinfeld episode.

“Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt”

I guess the old Chinese proverb (if that what that is) applies in spades if you’re insanely wealthy.

Mark Twain!

FhSro5GVsAAEFTH.jpg

The perk of owning a company is you can act any way you like.

The perk of our free market system is you can pack up and leave a job if you don't ;ie the boss. At least in an up economy.

SpaceX has the Falcon 9/Falcon Heavy which are very viable products. It's spending on Starship and Starlink don't change that.

But does he? Tesla was started by other people. Under him they announced self driving cars, which are little more that upgraded cruise control. Use it for anything else and you are asking for a collision.

The poorly named "autopilot" is actually a pretty good ADAS. The hilariously named "FSD Beta" (where the FSD stands for Full Self Driving) is not even close. When someone says "I have a self-driving car...it's a Tesla" I have to hold back laughter. Musk keeps promising, then moving the goalposts, then promising, all while doing not much in the way of delivering. He promised "full self driving just about 6 years ago, and debuted the product just about 2 years ago. Can you climb into the back seat of your Tesla and have it drive you around town?

Only if you have very, very good insurance. And possibly a will.

By comparison, the company I work for began testing around 5 or 6 years ago. One year ago we began giving driverless taxi rides in San Francisco - at night and in a limited area - and just today we started 24/7 operations. The amount of work that had to go into getting here is enormous, and there are a lot of people ready to jump into action if something...anything goes wrong. That's my job now.

There is a reason for this. It's called Uber. They had a self-driving Uber (with a safety driver), and due to a number of factors it failed one night in Tempe Arizona and struck and killed a pedestrian. That was the end of their self-driving experiment. Both Cruise and Waymo (which has been operating for awhile in my area) put the brakes on everything and moved ahead extremely, extremely cautiously. If someone is even injured while in or around our cars - even if it's not our fault - it would be a huge problem. If someone lost their life? That would be the end.

Tesla? They use consumers as their beta testers. That's fine for a video game, but a 2 ton car that can kill someone even at low speed? Incredibly stupid. I've watched some of the videos of Teslas "going rogue" and just cringe at the "testers" reactions. I used to train our testers, and some of the stuff I've seen Tesla owners do would at the very least get someone being called back to the garage, immediately taken off duty, and have a long, uncomfortable conversation with an operations lead.

Tesla makes very good electric cars, they disrupted the automotive industry, and sent everyone scrambling to keep up. What they're doing on the self-driving front is downright dangerous.

Not going anywhere? That's all they do is go somewhere and they do it a hell of a lot cheaper than anyone else can.
And how do you know if this privately held company is profitable or not?

Not going anywhere? That's all they do is go somewhere and they do it a hell of a lot cheaper than anyone else can.
And how do you know if this privately held company is profitable or not?
Well, when Musk tells his employees there is a risk of bankruptcy I tend to think the business might not be as profitable as they would like.

So, if Twitter does go bankrupt, then what? Does Musk sell the carcass off at pennies on the dollar to save Tesla from following? Shut it down? He has a lot of creditors. Will Twitter just end up a play toy for yet another rich right winger? Or end up shutting down for good?

Back
Top Bottom