• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Twitter likely to take idiots offer to buy them for $43 billion

Damn, I am SO glad I’ve never encountered anyone (except Trump) who is overtly against free debate. But there is now a Republican Party vowing to refuse to debate, period, let alone “free” debate.
Don't you wonder how they got so “woke”?
It is funny, "the woke" hate "free debate", but the person who claims that wants people to stop hating on Musk.

Sitting here in my comfy office at work (yeah I have my own) with my Tesla kicking in auto cabin cooling to thwart mild Florida heat in the parking lot I'm motivated to say, yawl need to give Elon a break. This is only because he's just like your run of the mill folks that made it to the top accept a little less destructive as his counterparts like Saudi Princes and the Koch brothers. Plus yawl support voting for the lesser evil anyway. :devil2:

Why the hate for Elon Musk? Seems he wants Twitter to be more equitable to all ideas and thought. If you dont like what someone says, confront them. Debate them. Dont just cancel them. That is authoritarianism. "I dont like what you say, so you cant say it."

The "woke" HATE free debate. They (if this is not you) only want to hear what you want to hear. How boring. How authoritarian. How Leninist of you. The "woke" fear free debate like a baby in the darkness. Just cancel everyone.

Cool story bro.

He was explicit that imposter accounts that do not state (parody) would be banned.

I want to create an Elon Musk (Parody) account, making it explicitly clear that it isn't remotely official and shouldn't be taken seriously, and just retweet his tweets.

Uh, that's why that account was suspended? Hello?

And? Is that a good reason for a self-professed free speech absolutist who boasts that "comedy is now legal?"

For remedial education on parody, parody labels and free speech: Babylon Bee - Amicus Brief.
You'd probably be cancelled on this board too if you tried to impersonate another member. (Don't know how you'd do that, but whaterever.) I mean, seems pretty basic.

You'd probably be cancelled on this board too if you tried to impersonate another member. (Don't know how you'd do that, but whaterever.) I mean, seems pretty basic.
This board isn't a global social media platform.

The only reason I care about Musk and Twitter is the gigantic influence on U.S. culture and government. If Twitter were as tiny and unimportant as IIDB I wouldn't care at all.

IIDB often resembles a small town evangelical Christian church, to me. Oh well. Twitter is extremely different.
Tom

And? Is that a good reason for a self-professed free speech absolutist who boasts that "comedy is now legal?"

For remedial education on parody, parody labels and free speech: Babylon Bee - Amicus Brief.

Somebody didn't do their remedial reading on parody. But I doubt anyone would be banned for making a 0leg parody account here. However, I do know this board has banned new accounts from previously banned users, [removed]

Not to mention that the only reason the slower Twitter users would have confused parody accounts for the real accounts is that Musk threw out the old working verification system for an incoherent worthless mess.

Last edited by a moderator:
Elon Musk's cost-cutting plans may have left hundreds of Twitter employees on high-skill work visas on a countdown to deportation.
At least 250 Twitter workers appear to be employed on a H-1B visa, according to official records and now face an uncertain future. And according to analysis of U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) data by the National Foundation for American Policy, that number could be as high as 670, or 8% of the company pre-cuts, Forbes reported.

yahoo

670 H-1B visas getting emptied. B2B
You don’t think people n H-1Bs can find work within 60 days?
In this economy?

I’ll bet they don’t even have to look. The work will find them.

For some maybe. But its not as easy as you think.

Assuming the H-1B program works as designed, the sector(s) these individuals work in need workers. Odds are they'll be drawing a paycheck before their severance pay runs out.

yahoo!

I'm sure if any are dragged weeping and wailing to the deportation chamber, the media will be on their favorite punching bag like a bum on a baloney sandwich.

There is an article in the San Francisco Chronicle about the challenges of H-1B workers that have been let go.

SF Chroncile

Unfortunately it is behind a paywall but can it be viewed in the Apple stock market app.

It's a bad situation to be in for those people on H-1B but I think a lot of people don't understand that these visas are temporary. It's a fucked up system for sure.

Somebody didn't do their remedial reading on parody. But I doubt anyone would be banned for making a 0leg parody account here. However, I do know this board has banned new accounts from previously banned users, [removed]

Not to mention that the only reason the slower Twitter users would have confused parody accounts for the real accounts is that Musk threw out the old working verification system for an incoherent worthless mess.
Now that misinformation is back on Twitter, I'm uncertain why parodies need to be labeled at all. If misinformation that is intended to misinform and mislead doesn't need labeling, why should parody?

So what? Fuck free speech. A sentiment I've expressed before. That's because I have the naive opinion that free speech involves a government not supressing a citizens' public speech. But according to right wingers free speech means complete immunity from consequences, but only if you're right wing. As I pointed out here, Twitter isn't just banning parody accounts, they're banning people who have anything critical to say about right wingers as well.

So fuck Musk, fuck Twitter and fuck free speech. Hope that covers everything.

Sarcasma... Pfizer's solution for Americans that struggle getting sarcasm. One pill a day will make it easier for millions of Americans to get "it was just a fucking joke!" Some people, but not all, just most, may (will) suffer from side effects including indescribably painful explosive diarrhea, dry mouth, sudden onset of pregnancy, death, and a number of other things that we simply don't have the time to go in to. Ask an English major today if Sarcasma is right for you.

He was explicit that imposter accounts that do not state (parody) would be banned.

So?

Yes but If the ban had been on an obvious "right wing Trumpsucker" account, that would be fine.
Except virtually no one was banned from Twitter despite their support of Donald Trump. Trump was banned after gaslighting an on-going insurrection at the US Capitol Bldg. All the other shit he said on Twitter, the threats, the vile comments, any occasional actually political related retort... weren't. His lies about Covid-19 that led to people dying... at worst, had a label on them.

So enough of this "free speech" nonsense. Twitter wasn't banning Trump supporters, in general, and they certainly weren't because they were supporting Trump.

Back
Top Bottom