• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Twitter likely to take idiots offer to buy them for $43 billion

Why the hate for Elon Musk? Seems he wants Twitter to be more equitable to all ideas and thought. If you dont like what someone says, confront them. Debate them. Dont just cancel them. That is authoritarianism. "I dont like what you say, so you cant say it."

The "woke" HATE free debate. They (if this is not you) only want to hear what you want to hear. How boring. How authoritarian. How Leninist of you. The "woke" fear free debate like a baby in the darkness. Just cancel everyone.
The "woke" created this very website you are on having free debate. :rolleyes:

I started seeing ads on twitter today. I wonder, if it's just some fluke in the ad blocker I'm using, or is twitter doing something to circumvent ad blockers?

[removed]

This board is disgustingly woke and does not allow any debate or alternate views.

You're right that speech here is not totally free, but this board is not claiming to be free speech absolutist.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's also worth noting that debates are structured things with specific rules, even the free debate types. Like, for example, the rules we all agreed to when we created our profiles for this forum. Acting like a whiny bitch isn't going to change that.

[removed]

This board is disgustingly woke and does not allow any debate or alternate views.
You poor repressed soul.

Odd how somewhat conservatives/libertarians like Loren and Harry Bosch aren’t whining about being repressed.

[removed]

He says, while while debating and displaying alternative views.

Nice victimhood ya got there.

Why the hate for Elon Musk? Seems he wants Twitter to be more equitable to all ideas and thought. If you dont like what someone says, confront them. Debate them. Dont just cancel them. That is authoritarianism. "I dont like what you say, so you cant say it."

The "woke" HATE free debate. They (if this is not you) only want to hear what you want to hear. How boring. How authoritarian. How Leninist of you. The "woke" fear free debate like a baby in the darkness. Just cancel everyone.
The right wingers, grifters, scammers, etc…block all dissent on their feeds and YouTube channels. They don’t want debate. They want to force the platforms to be their megaphones. They relentlessly file complaints to have videos and posts debunking them removed as “harassment”. Doesn’t matter if it is an antivaxxer, chemtrailer, truther,… They all do it. Cranks like Joe Mercola are relentless at cancelling opposition through bogus complaints.

No. He wants Twitter to be more accepting of conservative lies. He's not so tolerant of things from the left, though. He's drunk the QOP kool-aid, he's trying to "fix" what the QOP says is wrong with Twitter but what he's actually doing is very rapidly destroying it.

No. He wants Twitter to be more accepting of conservative lies. He's not so tolerant of things from the left, though. He's drunk the QOP kool-aid, he's trying to "fix" what the QOP says is wrong with Twitter but what he's actually doing is very rapidly destroying it.
Well Elon has gotten rid of about half the work force at Twitter and I haven't noticed any problems with Twitter's functionality. Which makes you wonder what they were all there for.

Well Elon has gotten rid of about half the work force at Twitter and I haven't noticed any problems with Twitter's functionality. Which makes you wonder what they were all there for.
It’s not clear there has been enough time to see the effects. The site could be coasting on inertia right now.

The ability to say nigger, slope, chink, gook, retard, spastic, downy and faggot has risen significantly since those people got the axe. Yay freedom, I suppose. I'm not a racist, but I think stopping such speech a platform is a worthwhile job.

Fun fact: I worked in retail for about 15 years. Then I left rather spectacularly (read: immediately). For four weeks the shop I worked in did nothing but wins, easily reached their KPIs if you will. After that, they had to do stocktake and my god did the cracks show. A second stocktake had to happen and the results were worse than the first one. I was asked to audit the results of the second stocktake and my response was to give advice on how to insert a railspike into one's rectum. The store went from positive EBIT to negative EBIT within months and I didn't have to lift a finger. The cunts asking for my help was just icing on the cake.

I reckon we'll see the same thing happen with Twitter in the next few weeks. Because Metaphor doesn't see immediate results that means the staff doesn't do any work.

The ability to say nigger, slope, chink, gook, retard, spastic, downy and faggot has risen significantly since those people got the axe. Yay freedom, I suppose. I'm not a racist, but I think stopping such speech a platform is a worthwhile job.
That's good. You very clearly have the ability to say those words right here on this board, and you went ahead and did say them.

So, why do you think it's good to be able to say it on here, but bad to be able to say it on Twitter?

Fun fact: I worked in retail for about 15 years. Then I left rather spectacularly (read: immediately). For four weeks the shop I worked in did nothing but wins, easily reached their KPIs if you will. After that, they had to do stocktake and my god did the cracks show. A second stocktake had to happen and the results were worse than the first one. I was asked to audit the results of the second stocktake and my response was to give advice on how to insert a railspike into one's rectum. The store went from positive EBIT to negative EBIT within months and I didn't have to lift a finger. The cunts asking for my help was just icing on the cake.

I reckon we'll see the same thing happen with Twitter in the next few weeks. Because Metaphor doesn't see immediate results that means the staff doesn't do any work.
I didn't say it couldn't happen. If Elon got rid of too many software engineers who actually keep the motor running it could go down. A lot of tech firms are trimming the fat right now, albeit it not to quite the dramatic level Twitter has.

I didn't say it couldn't happen. If Elon got rid of too many software engineers who actually keep the motor running it could go down. A lot of tech firms are trimming the fat right now, albeit it not to quite the dramatic level Twitter has
True. What I am saying is the consequences of such decisions might not be immediate.

I didn't say it couldn't happen. If Elon got rid of too many software engineers who actually keep the motor running it could go down. A lot of tech firms are trimming the fat right now, albeit it not to quite the dramatic level Twitter has
True. What I am saying is the consequences of such decisions might not be immediate.
Twitter will be fine until they want to change something.

Like, maybe they want the search function to behave differently, or change the recommender algorithm, or any of the many other pieces in the complex system that is Twitter. And when they implement this change, they're going to introduce bugs, because that's what software engineers do. They'll eventually break things that no one (still there) knows how to fix quickly, which will lead to downtime, degraded user experience, lost users and lost advertisers.

The trouble with Twitter, if nothing else, is monetization of the product. They have struggled with that forever. Twitter provides a niche service that others provide better.

So Musk wants to reinvent Twitter into something else, but he seems utterly confused about the fundamentals like mistaking Twitter users as their customers instead of their product. And mistaking banning actual misinformation and Trump as political censorship.

These issues could be debilitating and Twitter very likely is going to have issues existing on its own.

He'll learn fast when several major brands actually pull out. Right now he's complaining about something that didn't happen yet. Once he sees that the usual Elon string pulling and charm won't work for Twitter he'll go silent and let professionals take over.

He'll learn fast when several major brands actually pull out. Right now he's complaining about something that didn't happen yet. Once he sees that the usual Elon string pulling and charm won't work for Twitter he'll go silent and let professionals take over.
Exactly. The irony is yhat 90% of the problems twitter is having right now is because Musk can't keep his mouth shut.

From a program standpoint, it might be able to just coast for a long time. Depends on what kind of server maintenance it needs to do regularly, and what kind of bugs are out there.

But there are issues beyond the code. Like how they now only have one person working child safety for the Asian-pacific team.
Because of past issues they have to have any new features checked for proper security by agreement with the FTC, but twitter no longer has anyone to handle their side of complying with the requirements. Heck, the HR department doesn't even have the personnel to properly handle everyone quitting/fired and the attempts to get back the people they realize they actually need.

Actually, as of a week ago, 50 of Twitter's top 100 advertisers had already pulled out. And Musk has not changed his behavior. If anything he's worse.

Back
Top Bottom