• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Twitter likely to take idiots offer to buy them for $43 billion

Not sure if this is intended to show how uninteresting Ron DeSantis is, or how vapid and disengaged the general public is. Perhaps you can show a similar picture after a prominent Democrat candidate does a livestream 2024 launch and we'll have our answer.
A bit of all sorts of things. Public disinterest in politics, public disinterest in DeSantis, public unawareness (heck I wasn't aware Twitter Spaces existed), schadenfreude as it is a bit funny based on DeSaantis's banana republic stunts in Florida as governor, schadenfreude for Musk who keeps trolling about how awesome he is.

And overall, it just seems like an own-goal. Musk is trending with the alt-right, so DeSantis saw some coat tailing there. But to announce via audio only, in the 21st century? It just sounds like a terrible idea, but he was wooed by alt-right wokeness, and it all exploded in the face... and most people found out about it from everyone else making fun of it, from NPR to Fox News. Howard Dean fell in part due to a cold and a unidirectional mic.

A bit of all sorts of things. Public disinterest in politics, public disinterest in DeSantis, public unawareness (heck I wasn't aware Twitter Spaces existed), schadenfreude as it is a bit funny based on DeSaantis's banana republic stunts in Florida as governor, schadenfreude for Musk who keeps trolling about how awesome he is.
And coming on the heels of Musk's announcement that he had to curtail freedom of speech in Turkey.
Because freedom of speech is bad for business.
Tom

And coming on the heels of Musk's announcement that he had to curtail freedom of speech in Turkey.
Because freedom of speech is bad for business.
Tom
I guess that when he identified as a free speech absolutist he actually meant he is a self interest absolutist.

I guess that when he identified as a free speech absolutist he actually meant he is a self interest absolutist.
That's what it looks like to me.

Musk is Free to Clarify. Nobody is freer to clarify a stated opinion than the owner of Twitter.
Tom

I strongly suspect that Musk's advocacy of DeSantis is driven by business interest as opposed to politics. Trump is the Truth Social guy which if he wins the nomination would increase that platform and decrease Twitter usage. When Trump is out of the way, Truth Social is gone faster and poses smaller risk to Elon's Empire.

This is my first time hearing about Twitter Spaces. That is absolutely not the website I think of when it comes to audio discussions or streams.

Twitter’s head of trust and safety Ella Irwin resigned from her role at the Elon Musk-owned social media platform.

Irwin, who confirmed her resignation to Reuters on Thursday, served for roughly seven months and declined to provide a reason for her decision.

Irwin ran the Twitter team that fought disinformation, removed offensive content and helped maintain Twitter’s platform integrity. But Twitter has experienced significant challenges in stemming offensive content under Irwin’s tenure and since Musk began serving as CEO.
Musk had previously said, for example, that fighting child sex abuse material, or CSAM, was “Priority #1” for the platform. Reporting from NBC News and CNBC in January found illegal content was still freely circulating on the platform.

Irwin’s departure comes at a turbulent time for the social media network, which was grappling with the dissemination of a conservative website’s purported documentary on transgender people. The video was uploaded to Twitter’s platform Thursday but was “visibility limited,” preventing users from retweeting or commenting on it.

On Friday, Musk shared the video after the visibility restrictions were apparently lifted.
Her team had marked noted fascist Matt Walsh's anti-lgbtq documentary as having violated Twitter TOS. Now Musk had invited Walsh's Daily Wire to provide content for Twitter and on the first day of Pride month Musk overruled his content moderation team to repost the video.

I just can't figure out Musk's goal. Clearly, there is money to be made in the right-wing sphere. But Twitter wasn't making enough as it was, without pushing away users. I mean yes, there will still be advertising because just look at Fox News, but can you make Twitter a right-wing social media in such a way that it can manage losing many users?

And he risks any chance of a 2.0 coming out and having terribly tarnished its image before it is released.

Clearly, there is money to be made in the right-wing sphere.
Yes and no. Yes in the sense that people like Steven Crowder, Russell Brand, Tim Pool etc are making millions, sometimes tens of millions being a mouthpiece for right wing ideology. No in the sense Musk having a snowball's chance in hell recuperating his losses (which is in the billions) trying the same grift with Twitter.

I just can't figure out Musk's goal. Clearly, there is money to be made in the right-wing sphere. But Twitter wasn't making enough as it was, without pushing away users. I mean yes, there will still be advertising because just look at Fox News, but can you make Twitter a right-wing social media in such a way that it can manage losing many users?

And he risks any chance of a 2.0 coming out and having terribly tarnished its image before it is released.

I don't think that Musk really cares about the money sink that Twitter has become. He has been making obscene amounts of new income from his other businesses, so he can afford to indulge himself with his vanity platform. Basically, it's the news media that keeps it alive. A lot of what they choose to report on seems to be based on trending Tweets on Twitter.

Two of the world's most high-profile technology billionaires - Elon Musk and Mark Zuckerberg - have agreed to fight each other in a cage match.
Mr Musk posted a message on his social media platform Twitter that he was "up for a cage fight" with Mr Zuckerberg.
Mr Zuckerberg, the boss of Facebook and Instagram parent company Meta, then posted a screenshot of Mr Musk's tweet with the caption "send me location".
"The story speaks for itself," a Meta spokesperson told the BBC.
Mr Musk then replied to Mr Zuckerberg's response with: "Vegas Octagon."
The Octagon is the competition mat and fenced-in area used for Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) bouts. The UFC is based in Las Vegas, Nevada.

Twitter (which means Elon Musk) has now decided that "cis" is considered a slur.

On the one hand, I don't like banning words. On the other hand, this is funny. Those complaining about this are finding out "when you've been in a dominant position, equality feels like oppression".

Remember, a few years ago "they were a private company and could do what they want."

Musk makes th3e weirdest choices.

Well, IMHO, they are a private company and can do what they want, and this may signal to their customers that only certain customers are desired. And so they might just decide to decamp.

Those complaining about this are finding out "when you've been in a dominant position, equality feels like oppression".
Do you realize how stupid this sounds?

Who do you think is this group "in a dominant position" at Twitter?
I personally think it's a stupid policy myself, cis isn't anything like a slur.

But I've long considered Twitter a cesspool of lies, helping destroy America to make some bucks. Maybe all those cis people should join me and boycot Twitter.
Tom

Twitter (which means Elon Musk) has now decided that "cis" is considered a slur.
Elon Musk also decided to block Turkish opposition from Twitter, long enough to get Erdogan reelected.

Musk doesn't believe in democracy or free speech. He believes that what's good for Musk is what matters.
Tom

On the one hand, I don't like banning words. On the other hand, this is funny.
Those two statements really aren't compatible. Also this isn't about banning a word, but banning expression. His decisions on Twitter have seemed a lot less about principles and more about contraryism and this odd alt-right shift he has decided to make a hobby of his.
Those complaining about this are finding out "when you've been in a dominant position, equality feels like oppression".

Remember, a few years ago "they were a private company and could do what they want."
Within regulatory limits, of course (see EU). And generally that is the alt-right argument whenever discussing a companies right to violate the rights of the kinds of people they don't like.

Back
Top Bottom