• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Twitter likely to take idiots offer to buy them for $43 billion

The idea of charging users $1.00 was to end the practice of opening up 2,000 accounts to robospam Xitter. If Xitter can accurately track those jokers. A better idea would be to leave 3 accounts free, the next 10, $1 each, the next 10, 2$ each and so on.

In the ongoing, my company's valuation is too damn high saga; Apple exercises its right to stop advertising on Twitter after Musk's endorsement of an antisemitic comment.
I heard IBM did that as well.

Boy, Musk is gonna raise his prices a lot.
Tom
When are the shareholders going to give him the boot?

In the ongoing, my company's valuation is too damn high saga; Apple exercises its right to stop advertising on Twitter after Musk's endorsement of an antisemitic comment.

Tom
Disney, Comcast, Lionsgate and Paramount Global are also pulling ads. We may be reaching critical mass.

Tom
When are the shareholders going to give him the boot?
Never.

He basically owns all the shares...
Musk is estimated to own 74%. The other share holders can sue for economic incompetence affecting their share prices.

At SpaceX, worker injuries soar in Elon Musk’s rush to Mars - "Reuters documented at least 600 previously unreported workplace injuries at Musk’s rocket company: crushed limbs, amputations, electrocutions, head and eye wounds and one death. SpaceX employees say they’re paying the price for the billionaire’s push to colonize space at breakneck speed."

Then someone who tried to hold down some insulation by sitting on it. He that insulation got blown off by a gust of wind and he hit the nearby pavement on the head and he died.
Musk’s rocket company has disregarded worker-safety regulations and standard practices at its inherently dangerous rocket and satellite facilities nationwide, with workers paying a heavy price, a Reuters investigation found. Through interviews and government records, the news organization documented at least 600 injuries of SpaceX workers since 2014.
Including many serious or disabling ones. 100 cuts or lacerations, 29 broken bones or dislocations, 17 of hands or fingers "crushed", 9 head injuries, including 1 skull fracture, 4 concussions, 1 traumatic brain injury, 5 burns, 5 electrocutions, 8 amputations necessary, 12 unspecified injuries, 7 eye injuries. Some were minor, however, like 170 strains or sprains.
Current and former employees said such injuries reflect a chaotic workplace where often under-trained and overtired staff routinely skipped basic safety procedures as they raced to meet Musk’s aggressive deadlines for space missions. SpaceX, founded by Musk more than two decades ago, takes the stance that workers are responsible for protecting themselves, according to more than a dozen current and former employees, including a former senior executive.
Even if it's from what others do? That's a recipe for trouble.
Musk himself at times appeared cavalier about safety on visits to SpaceX sites: Four employees said he sometimes played with a novelty flamethrower and discouraged workers from wearing safety yellow because he dislikes bright colors.

The lax safety culture, more than a dozen current and former employees said, stems in part from Musk’s disdain for perceived bureaucracy and a belief inside SpaceX that it’s leading an urgent quest to create a refuge in space from a dying Earth.

“Elon’s concept that SpaceX is on this mission to go to Mars as fast as possible and save humanity permeates every part of the company,” said Tom Moline, a former SpaceX senior avionics engineer who was among a group of employees fired after raising workplace complaints. “The company justifies casting aside anything that could stand in the way of accomplishing that goal, including worker safety.”

Looks like his social media platform is doing about as well as his spaceship launch earlier today.
Tom

Looks like his social media platform is doing about as well as his spaceship launch earlier today.
Tom

Better than the first time. They used water in the launch pad, unlike the first time. The first stage burned to completion, all its engines running, then it and the second stage separated, then it tried to restart, and then exploded - a Rapid Unscheduled Disassembly or RUD. The second stage continued onward, burning almost until its scheduled end, then lost touch with the ground. It also exploded.

Elon Musk is furious major advertiserscare bailing from X due to X anti-semiticism. Now he is blaming this on media watchdog site Mediaite. And is about to drop a "thermonuclear bomb" lawsuit on Mediaite. I suspect that Mediaite has lots of evidence to back up their allegations X is now awash in anti-semiticism. And that other journalists have openly commented on this fact. Musk's own quotes about Jews is rather damning, and will be damning in a court. Plus facts that Musk fired lots of X moderaters. I suspect lots of Jews and Israel supporters will not be buying Tesla cars now. Musk is also threatening to sue the ADL and other hate group watchdog sites.

Elon Musk is furious major advertiserscare bailing from X due to X anti-semiticism. Now he is blaming this on media watchdog site Mediaite. And is about to drop a "thermonuclear bomb" lawsuit on Mediaite. I suspect that Mediaite has lots of evidence to back up their allegations X is now awash in anti-semiticism. And that other journalists have openly commented on this fact. Musk's own quotes about Jews is rather damning, and will be damning in a court. Plus facts that Musk fired lots of X moderaters. I suspect lots of Jews and Israel supporters will not be buying Tesla cars now. Musk is also threatening to sue the ADL and other hate group watchdog sites.

As soon as he’s told to turn over documents, including texts and emails, the suit would go away.

I was wondering today about the carbon footprint of his launch “to colonize Mars”. How many weeks or months of climate progress does he negate?

Free speech absolutist.

Tom

Better than the first time. They used water in the launch pad, unlike the first time. The first stage burned to completion, all its engines running, then it and the second stage separated, then it tried to restart, and then exploded - a Rapid Unscheduled Disassembly or RUD. The second stage continued onward, burning almost until its scheduled end, then lost touch with the ground. It also exploded.
First stage was much better. Second stage to third had serious problems. Also, he is an anti-semite which is going to cause huge issues. What a dumbass.

I was wondering today about the carbon footprint of his launch “to colonize Mars”. How many weeks or months of climate progress does he negate?
I will calculate that.  SpaceX Starship - 750 metric tons or 750,000 kg of methane, with 562,000 kg of carbon. 1 gallon of gasoline weighs 6 pounds or 3 kg, with 2.6 kg of carbon. Thus, a Starship fuel load contains the carbon of 220 thousand gallons of gasoline.

But to get a sizable population of us off of our planet and into a space colony or onto some celestial body, that will be difficult.

I'll use  SpaceX Dragon 2 as a benchmark, even though it is an extreme best case. It can carry 4 people and it goes into space atop a  Falcon 9 Block 5 rocket, a recent version of  Falcon 9 Full Thrust It uses 155,800 kg of kerosene, with 130,000 kg of carbon. That's 33,000 kg/person, or 13,000 gallons of gasoline per person. At 25 miles per gallon, that is like driving 300,000 miles. If one commutes 30 miles per day, that is about 10,000 days of commuting or 30 years of commuting.

This is an extreme best case, since that spacecraft is designed to ferry people to low Earth orbit without having a lot of supplies on board. To go to Mars and to bring colonization supplies will require a lot more rocket propellant per person, an equivalent to each one driving much further.

So one concludes that moving large numbers of people to space colonies or other celestial bodies is something totally impractical.

SpaceX - Falcon 9

This rocket can lift 22,800 kg to low Earth orbit, 8,300 kg to geosynchronous transfer orbit (necessary for communications satellites) or 4,020 kg to Mars, presumably a minimum-energy transfer orbit, one used by most spacecraft that have been sent there.

Scaling the amount of fuel needed, that's equivalent to driving 170 years. The first gasoline car, Carl Benz's, was patented back in 1885, 138 years ago. That is for being one of 4 people aboard a Dragon 2 spacecraft. It has a volume of 9.3 m^2, giving each passenger a volume of a little over 2 m^2 or 20 ft^3.

We eat about 3 - 5 lb of food per day, or 1.5 - 2.5 kg. To get to Mars requires 9 months or 270 days. Thus, each one of us will need to take along 540 kg of food for the trip, well over our body mass.

To send more to Mars per person will require more fuel per person, the equivalent of driving longer.

Current and former employees said such injuries reflect a chaotic workplace where often under-trained and overtired staff routinely skipped basic safety procedures as they raced to meet Musk’s aggressive deadlines for space missions. SpaceX, founded by Musk more than two decades ago, takes the stance that workers are responsible for protecting themselves, according to more than a dozen current and former employees, including a former senior executive.
I didn't know it was still possible to operate a business in the 1870s. Do they have orphans working sixteen hour days, and paid in company tokens that are redeemable only at the company's store too?

I'm always surprised to discover that my incredibly low opinion of working conditions in the USA is, nevertheless, not low enough. Surely there's nowhere in the OECD where delegating workplace safety to employees is lawful.

Right?

How many weeks or months of climate progress does he negate?
Wait, what? We're not making any "climate progress". Global carbon dioxide emissions are still rising, at about 1% per annum.

So not only are we still putting carbon dioxide into the atmosphere, but we are still doing so at an accelerating rate.

We are racing towards a chasm, and congratulating ourselves on getting faster slightly more slowly than we used to be.

We eat about 3 - 5 lb of food per day, or 1.5 - 2.5 kg. To get to Mars requires 9 months or 270 days. Thus, each one of us will need to take along 540 kg of food for the trip, well over our body mass.

And then they get there, expecting what?
Cancun?

Landing in Antarctica would be vastly more hospitable than getting to Mars. And what will make it it all worse is being trapped on Mars with the people that folks like Elon Musk chose to be your interplanetary compadres.
Tom

Back
Top Bottom