• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Twitter likely to take idiots offer to buy them for $43 billion

Here's some more Musk/Twitter stuff for those of you interested. The opinion presents a valid concern. I haven't much interest in Twitter beyond whether or not alpha nerd comes out on top. Achievements aside, he is an interesting personality to observe.

I clicked and skimmed very briefly. This is what caught my eye:
Twitter is not the only social media with this problem. Back in 2017, Facebook claimed that ads on its platforms could reach 41 million Americans between the ages of 18 and 24 years old. The problem was the U.S. Census Bureau claimed that only 31 million Americans in this age group existed. Facebook is now facing a class-action lawsuit related to audience exaggeration.

I can understand the motive for audience exaggeration. But what baffles — and is further evidence that we are living in the Era of Stupidity — is that the multi-billionaire was apparently unable to hire a high school graduate with the competence to compare the exaggerated claim with simple demographic facts available via Wikipedia or Google.

Dumb and dumber billionaires.

So with the chance of winning in court looking like nil, Musk appears to be saying he is good to go again. But it is Elon "Ted Turner" Musk we are talking about. So conditions, contingencies, retraction... who knows what else up ahead.

Shares are up to $47 or so before trading in Twitter paused. So still shy of the $54 mark.

A Kinder, Gentler Twitter

Well, if you gotta buy it, you gotta buy it. So what are you going to do with it?

Says Elon: “Twitter obviously cannot become a free-for-all hellscape, where anything can be said with no consequences!”

Says Elon: “The reason I acquired Twitter is because it is important to the future of civilization to have a common digital town square, where a wide range of beliefs can be debated in a healthy manner, without resorting to violence,” he wrote. “There is currently great danger that social media will splinter into far right wing and far left wing echo chambers that generate more hate and divide our society.”

Says Elon: Musk added that he did not buy Twitter “to make more money. I did it to try to help humanity, whom I love.”

I know being a billionaire puts us on auto-hate but how, oh how can anyone hate a person with such aspirations for humanity?

Elon Sink.jpeg

A Kinder, Gentler Twitter

Well, if you gotta buy it, you gotta buy it. So what are you going to do with it?

Says Elon: “Twitter obviously cannot become a free-for-all hellscape, where anything can be said with no consequences!”

Says Elon: “The reason I acquired Twitter is because it is important to the future of civilization to have a common digital town square, where a wide range of beliefs can be debated in a healthy manner, without resorting to violence,” he wrote. “There is currently great danger that social media will splinter into far right wing and far left wing echo chambers that generate more hate and divide our society.”
Yeah... so the people banned were the ones actually resorting to violence.
Says Elon: Musk added that he did not buy Twitter “to make more money. I did it to try to help humanity, whom I love.”
Certain the banks don't want to hear that one.
I know being a billionaire puts us on auto-hate but how, oh how can anyone hate a person with such aspirations for humanity?
Oh Musk... I don't hate you because you are rich. In fact, I thought you were rather ingenious with certain things. You've earned my disdain for being a fucking prick.

I doubt it. The company isn't worth jack. They barely make money to begin with.
It is still the monopoly of choice with brand loyalty. When anyone anywhere ever talks about social media, Facebook and Twitter are what everyone knows of. Their names are securely established in the marketplace.

The broken management might still be fixable given the right circumstances.
Except it isn't management, it is the entire system. Monetizing Twitter isn't particularly easy.
But what this company is really worth is anyone's guess though. Especially since all tech stocks in market are drastically down (for other reasons) right now.
Old social media companies are never worth what newer ones are. That is why Facebook needs to keep buying up the new companies to keep its own value growing, because Facebook itself... well... it is a dinosaur used by older people.
I can't make jokes or talk politics on Facebook, or my mother will complain the next time I call. It takes the fun out of social media-ing when you can't have a good brawl with a stranger...

Wow, the ugly stuff surfaced fast. So now we look to see how the new owner reacts.

Likely going to be taken down (if not already) Twitter policy hasn't changed. That tweet is nothing different than what's already been on Twitter to be honest. They catch it eventually.

I'm interested in what Elon is really going to do with Twitter. He never struck me as a person focused on politics. Somehow it will fit right along with SpaceX, Tesla and the Boring Company theme which are all his idea of moving our species forward.

Could be already there. I’m not a follower. I was assuming the post was based on new. But I guess I am not surprised that it has always been thre. It’s a big platform, and there are a lot of hateful people desperately tring to be heard.

Well, Trump says you can't trust Elon Musk.

And twenty minutes later, 50% of Trump supporters are likely against Elon Musk.

It's a shame. His account will likely be restored if it hasn't been already. Kanye's was (which I think is a good idea) since he didn't actually call for the death of Jewish people, he just had a very poorly articulated argument. But that's just me.

Edit: By restored I meant no longer restricted, not unbanned.

I'm interested in what Elon is really going to do with Twitter. He never struck me as a person focused on politics. Somehow it will fit right along with SpaceX, Tesla and the Boring Company theme which are all his idea of moving our species forward.
He's just out to get rich. The tech visionary stuff is just marketing. The reality is a bunch of Elon fanboys stuck in a claustrophobic traffic jam somewhere below Las Vegas.

Given Musk's expressed desire for Ukraine to give up fighting, I hope he doesn't try to stifle OSINT activity on Twitter, which helps to show the world that there is no way that compromise with Russia is either possible or acceptable.

He never struck me as a person focused on politics.
That is definitely not true. He has other people run his companies, and baits the media for attention full-time. Sometimes its politics, sometimes it's tech bro stuff, but it's always all about the cameras. He's a hype man, not an engineer. Normal people don't hold press conferences to announce that they're voting Republican this year...

He's just out to get rich. The tech visionary stuff is just marketing.
Really? Is that what the grounded level headed people who want to get rich do? Start up rocket companies blowing up and losing millions on the pad? Or start up electric auto companies that GM and Ford shunned for years due to lack of public demand and profit marketability?

Not saying that there are not plenty of people who are only out there to get rich. There exists plenty of hedge fund managers, banksters and politicans like Pelosi and her husband inside trading for example. People clearly only out there interested in getting rich quickly with no other goal.

But people who are actually taking huge risks and producting innovation just for the fun of helping humanity....I just don't get how you can figure that Elon is out there just to get rich.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom