• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

UAE puts "boobs on the ground" in Syria

Wouldn't it only be "boobs on the ground" if the plane was shot down?

In any case, I think we are making way too much out of a juvenile pun!
Well, see Derec, some of us focused on the reality of a female being integrated into the military establishment of a Muslim nation, occupying a combat billet as a fighter jet pilot. Meaning we are far more interested in associating the gender identity of the said military member to a progressist influence coming from a heavily patriarchal culture rather than commenting on "boobs". I suppose some of us do not obsess on an anatomical trait particular to females(boobs) when realizing to which extent it is remarkable that a female in a Muslim nation has been able to reach the necessary rank and rate to serve in a combat military billet.

Rather than calling it "juvenile", I will call it tasteless.
I was rather thinking of the word pathetic...but well said :thumbsup:

I expect juvenile puns from juveniles and comedians, I don't expect them from a channel or show that is ostensibly there to provide news and commentary to grown ups. If they want their programming to be the conservative equivalent of Beavis and Butthead, that's great, they just shouldn't expect anyone to take them seriously as a result.
The fact is that shows like "The Five" are not hard news programs. In fact the wiki page for it opens with "The Five is an American talk show on Fox News Channel featuring a rotating panel of who discuss current political issues and pop culture."
Well, one person's "juvenile" is another person's "sexist" or "tasteless".

Well, he did actually apologize that his misogyny caused negative publicity for himself and his network and made his wife upset. So, I guess it's all good now: he can go back to criticizing other people for not giving the proper respect to military personnel who are fighting terrorists in order to ensure our freedom.

The fact is that shows like "The Five" are not hard news programs. In fact the wiki page for it opens with "The Five is an American talk show on Fox News Channel featuring a rotating panel of who discuss current political issues and pop culture."
I noted the difference regarding the other man who joked about her not being able to park her plane while he added " I salute her". Meaning he balanced his jesting mood with a brief comment acknowledging how remarkable that piece of news is, making the effort to recognize the value of a Muslim woman from a patriarchal culture being entrusted by the same culture to not only pilot a fighter jet (combat position) but also be the leader of her squadron.

Well, he did actually apologize that his misogyny caused negative publicity for himself and his network and made his wife upset.
As he should. The damage to Fox News is unspeakable. Now everyone will think Fox News is some sort of circus act of a News Channel.

I noted the difference regarding the other man who joked about her not being able to park her plane while he added " I salute her". Meaning he balanced his jesting mood with a brief comment acknowledging how remarkable that piece of news is, making the effort to recognize the value of a Muslim woman from a patriarchal culture being entrusted by the same culture to not only pilot a fighter jet (combat position) but also be the leader of her squadron.
I don't get it. She is a fucking fighter pilot. No jokes, no fucking jokes about her sex!

Hah, hah, women are stupid... she can fly at two times the speed of sound, but can't park... dumb broad... I salute her! Passive aggressive bullshit.

When I first heard the story, I assumed it was some idiot local reporter denigrating women in UAE.

Well, he did actually apologize that his misogyny caused negative publicity for himself and his network and made his wife upset.
As he should. The damage to Fox News is unspeakable. Now everyone will think Fox News is some sort of circus act of a News Channel.

I'm sure the apology was made only because some of the criticism came from his own network.

Yeah. It's just a pun. So what? Some of us actually like puns.
I am actually a pun lover. However, in this specific circumstance, we are speaking about a major piece of news. Why major? Because most people informed about the state of inferiority attributed to females in so many Muslim nations do understand that this specific piece of news greatly contrasts with the condition of women in a nation like Saudi Arabia where they are forbidden to drive a vehicle. Basically, wrong time to make some stupid pun referring to boobs when the focus is on the remarkable achievement of this woman, a woman coming from a patriarchal culture.

There is a time and place to jest and make puns. Doing it in this SPECIFIC circumstance and at a time and place involving a major news network was very stupid.

Yeah. It's just a pun. So what? Some of us actually like puns.
The woman is employed in one of the hardest jobs available on Earth, and in the UAE of all places! We shouldn't be joking about her sex. It'd be like joking that Rosa Parks just got lost on the bus and couldn't find her way to the back of it because she was a woman. HOOWAH!!!

Here's a joke.

How many Fox News Reporters does it take to win a Pulitzer?

:laughing-smiley-014

Just for the record, I guessed it was Fox without looking at anything.
Ironic part is, Fox female "journalists" are judged by their look (including boobs) more than any other TV news channel.

Have you noticed that conservatives,in general,don't get humor.I think it is a personality trait.Humor,for the most part,is about illogical juxtaposition.They just don't get it.

Have you noticed that conservatives,in general,don't get humor.I think it is a personality trait.Humor,for the most part,is about illogical juxtaposition.They just don't get it.

They get a certain kind of lowbrow, mean-spirited and derisive humor, but beyond that they tend to struggle. It's probably part of the reason why they have no equivalent to Stewart/Colbert etc and likely never will.

Remember when Fox News attempted to launch this smouldering pile of shit years back? There are probably still some clips on YouTube. Pretty good illustration of how conservatives suck at humor.

When Bolling was a panelist on CNBC's Fast Money he used his time to pump natural gas stocks -- while simultaneously trading in that commodity -- assuring potential investors that ng was poised to reach all-time highs in the near future. His ng promotion was so self-serving and consistently over the top that even his fellow panelists, all shills in their own rights, would just roll their eyes at him. Needless to say, not only did ng not get to all-time highs from where Bolling recommended it, it actually fell to historic lows. Based on that performance alone, I'd say Bolling is a perfect fit with Fox.

It might be progress but the structure in the UAE remains the same:
A woman has only the rights of a male child. She must have the authorization of their male guardians
to travel abroad. An Emirati man has the right to seize the passports of his wife and daughters and can
even request that the Immigration authorities prohibit their departure out of the UAE.
Fathers and husbands have the legal authority to forbid their wives and daughters from working outside the
home.
Under Article 71 of the Personal Status Code, women who leave their husbands can be ordered to return and it goes on.

The International Federation on Human Rights report 2010, may be interesting in that nothing had changed since I was last in the UAE in August 2014.
http://www.fidh.org/IMG/pdf/UAE_summaryreport_for_CEDAW.pdf

Back
Top Bottom