• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Uganda Anti Gay Law

America is essentially LoAmmo, writ large.
God damn; I wish.

I’d be a much better place to live. 🙂

...when an aspect of thing A is kinda like that aspect of thing B, even to (especially to) a minuscule degree, one might say that thing B is “thing A, writ large....

What aspect especially to a miniscule degree might we consider: funny, left, atheist, arrogant, democratic, concrete, functional, dysfunctional, privileged?

America is essentially LoAmmo, writ large.
God damn; I wish.

I’d be a much better place to live. 🙂

...when an aspect of thing A is kinda like that aspect of thing B, even to (especially to) a minuscule degree, one might say that thing B is “thing A, writ large....

What aspect especially to a miniscule degree might we consider: funny, left, atheist, arrogant, democratic, concrete, functional, dysfunctional, privileged?

Even if only the “atheist” dimension was echoed by the larger America, it’d be a significant upgrade.
That, and a dose of the small-d “democratic.”

This thread is a good, educational opportunity even if everything so far has been off-topic.

Even if only the “atheist” dimension was echoed by the larger America, it’d be a significant upgrade.

Hmm. Have you seen how humans behave when they believe themselves to be gods? They become arrogant, cruel, and destructive. They think they can do whatever they want without consequences. It may actually be better that they project god status upon the clouds, where it can do less harm. For if they ever come to realize a system of government in which they are gods, the world will be plunged into chaos and destruction.

Hmm. Have you seen how humans behave when they believe themselves to be gods? They become arrogant, cruel, and destructive. They think they can do whatever they want without consequences. It may actually be better that they project god status upon the clouds, where it can do less harm. For if they ever come to realize a system of government in which they are gods, the world will be plunged into chaos and destruction.
So, I would much rather popularize a more sane concept of creator gods wherein it is revealed that even being such an entity as has done such an act of creation does not bestow super powers, and the sort of super powers being The God would bestow are themselves easy to prove, and having been such a thing does not endow any entity with absolute moral knowledge.

At that point, being powerless... or maybe an idiot... there's not much more room left for narcissism and arrogance except in exactly the domain of "trivia about gods" since you can use yourself as an example to make positive claims about what they can be (proof by example).

I would rather take that grandiose dream of megalomania and crush it down to size.

In western systems gay rights seems to go hand in hand with security of general rights.

You might say gay rights are the 'canary in the coal mine' for rights in general.

If you are a Christian who opposes homosexuality as a matter of faith, supporting gay rights in the long run strengthens your right to be relgious.

Major non-sequitur alert…

Atheists do not believe anything remotely similar to “we, ourselves, are gods.” Atheism means a lack of belief in any gods…which certainly includes ourselves.

Your response is not even tangentially connected to my point.

Atheists do not believe anything remotely similar to “we, ourselves, are gods.” Atheism means a lack of belief in any gods…which certainly includes ourselves.

Prolly Mrs G told him to say that.
Tom

The intent of the OP is rights in general.

Theist vs atheist is well debated on religion forum.

This is not remotely true. Atheists, in general, do not believe a god created this world.

Whether or not humans can create their own worlds, this becoming "gods" with respect to those worlds, satisfying a technical definition, is a separate question.

I'm an atheist, but I am also, ironically, a god; creating a universe, even a shitty simulation, qualifies. It's just that honestly looking at what that really means is a fundamental blow to those with delusions that they are THE God, where there is enough absence of evidence to be evidence of absence.

I don't think many people here are gods, and certainly not the vast majority who roll through claiming to be... but I would bet a few around here have dabbled enough with operating mathematical systems in isolation so as to also qualify. Ironically enough, all those people are also very likely atheists.

If at all possible try and exercise self restraint and avoid drifting into religion, gods, and mysticism.

Does suppression of gay rights correlate to overall suppression of rights as we see rights in western liberal democracies?

Lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) people in the People's Republic of China (PRC) may face some legal and social challenges that are not experienced by non-LGBT residents. While both male and female same-sex sexual activity are legal, same-sex couples are currently unable to marry or adopt, and households headed by such couples are ineligible for the same legal protections available to heterosexual couples. No explicit anti-discrimination protections for LGBT people are present in its legal system, nor do hate crime laws cover sexual orientation or gender identity.

Homosexuality and homoeroticism in China have been documented since ancient times. According to certain studies by Fo Guang University, which is based in Taiwan, and peer reviewed in a journal published by the University of London, homosexuality was regarded as a normal facet of life in China, prior to Western influence from 1840 onwards.[2][3] Several early Chinese emperors are speculated to have had homosexual relationships accompanied by heterosexual ones.[4] Opposition to homosexuality, according to these same studies, did not become firmly established in China until the 19th and 20th centuries, through the Westernization efforts of the late Qing dynasty and the early Chinese Republic.[5]

However, others debate that since as early as the 17th century, the Manchu–ruled Qing courts began to refer to the term ji jian (雞姦, sodomy) to apply to homosexual anal intercourse. In 1740, an anti-homosexual decree was promulgated, defining voluntarily homosexual intercourse between adults as illegal. Though there were no records on the effectiveness of this decree, it was the first time homosexuality had been subject to legal proscription in China. The punishment allegedly included a month in prison and 80 heavy blows with heavy bamboo.[6] Homosexuality was largely invisible during Maoist China (1949–1976).[7] In the 1980s, the subject of homosexuality reemerged in the public domain and gay identities and communities have expanded in the public eye since then. However, the studies note that public discourse in China appears uninterested and, at best, ambivalent about homosexuality, and traditional sentiments on family obligations and discrimination remains a significant factor deterring same-sex attracted people from coming out.[7]

Today, the government's approach to LGBT rights has been described as "ambivalent", "fickle", and as being "no approval; no disapproval; no promotion".[8][9] There is much resistance from conservative elements of the government, as various LGBT events have been banned in recent years.[9] Since the 2010s, authorities have avoided showing homosexual relationships on public television, as well as showing effeminate men in general.[10][11]

So Atheists who possess an inflated sense of self-worth or personal ability, often to the point of believing they are infallible or possessing a level of power or insight that places them above others don't exist? Your post certainly seems to match the description. ;) Why do you presume that individuals who channel their earthly desires through a fabricated concept of a deity would cease to do so if that concept were absent? It appears that you are more fixated on the God reference than on grasping the fundamental point.

So Atheists who possess an inflated sense of self-worth or personal ability, often to the point of believing they are infallible or possessing a level of power or insight that places them above others don't exist? Your post certainly seems to match the description. ;) Why do you presume that individuals who channel their earthly desires through a fabricated concept of a deity would cease to do so if that concept were absent? It appears that you are more fixated on the God reference than on grasping the fundamental point.

It appears that you are such a good reader, you’re able to read things that weren’t even there. Bravo; polite golf applause.

Look, I realize this is the internet, where no one ever has to be wrong, but…your hypothetical example of a person who is arrogant, has an inflated sense of self, overly values his own insights or whatever…isn’t a “god” in any popular usage of that term (or even think he is), he’s just arrogant.

You are way off in the weeds here, which is fine. You can happily remain convinced you have it right—which, oddly enough, using your metric, makes you an inerrant, infallible god.

Back
Top Bottom