• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

UK Labour party can't say what a woman is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am sorry but I cannot see what you are complaining about.
If you insist on a distinction between female and woman (I assume that is what you accept) then you should not express surprise that some will use that as a cudgel with which to beat their opponents (real or imagined). It is hard enough as it is to focus on the very real problems that women face without adding an extra extravagant (I will say it out loud: un-necessary) avenue for dissipation of energy and focus.
In Australia for IWD we saw the same thing : transgender activists hijacked the whole day. I am very disappointed but not surprised.
I have confusion here.

In Australia, transgender activists hijacked the whole of IWD... but you cannot see why I, a woman, might complain about that?

I actually don't insist on a distinction between female and woman, to me a woman is an adult human female, just as a sow is an adult female pig and a mare is an adult female horse.
Okay, so you think an adult human female is just like an animal. Got it.

On the other hand, I will grant that people mistake the professed gender identity of other people all the goddamned time, because not a one of us has managed to evolve functioning ESP that can see into someone else's brain and determine what gender role they have the highest affinity for.
People often confuse my astrological sign. I’m not a Pisces FFS. I’m fluid between Taurus and Gemini.

Whatever that society views as feminine. I am not going down that rabbit hole.
Do you understand that by this view, and the wishy-washy way it gets sidestepped, you end up either:
a) excluding female humans from the term "woman" because they are butch or they object to the social constraints that have kept women as subjugated dependents for most of human history... or
b) granting the term "woman" to 6'4" penis-having sperminators with beards wearing Levi's and flannel shirts?
FFS, people are people - no matter what society does, there will be those who act like shits. No system or view will be without problems.

Oh, btw, how society or culture views this issue is the reality - whatever the view is.

I think this is the sort of post that results in another poster using the term "gender cultist".
Naw. They don't need an excuse to resort to name calling. Admittedly, it was a snipe though. One gets tired of the ole fashioned 'This is how I define it, therefore that is how it gets defined' stuff.
Emily said no such thing.
Tom
What she said was quite foolish as I doubt she has spoken successfully with a mare or sow regarding gender.

Unlike for all other animals, sexual dimorphism evolved in humans for no reason whatsoever.
Are you Dr. Doolittle? Have you spoken with the animals? No, there are no cross-dressing animals, but that'd be because they don't dress at all.

Unlike for all other animals, sexual dimorphism evolved in humans for no reason whatsoever.
Are you Dr. Doolittle? Have you spoken with the animals? No, there are no cross-dressing animals, but that'd be because they don't dress at all.

You really can't help yourself, can you?
Tom
Admittedly I read their post wrong. Thanks for your interest.

You get your milk from the bull, dontcha?
There is actually a bit of old school IIDB in that post that you are likely unaware of. I admit making an error in my response to you.

A more appropriate response is that you arguing baselines in the face of cases well outside the baseline is ridiculous.

If you insist on a distinction between female and woman (I assume that is what you accept) then you should not express surprise that some will use that as a cudgel with which to beat their opponents (real or imagined). It is hard enough as it is to focus on the very real problems that women face without adding an extra extravagant (I will say it out loud: un-necessary) avenue for dissipation of energy and focus.
In Australia for IWD we saw the same thing : transgender activists hijacked the whole day. I am very disappointed but not surprised.
I have confusion here.

In Australia, transgender activists hijacked the whole of IWD... but you cannot see why I, a woman, might complain about that?

I actually don't insist on a distinction between female and woman, to me a woman is an adult human female, just as a sow is an adult female pig and a mare is an adult female horse.
I apologise for the confusion i may have caused you. I thought you you were one who makes a distinction between female & woman (speaking of people) rather than one who uses them as synonyms.
I can see why a woman would complain about the hijacking of IWD. You are correct to complain.

I thought you you were one who makes a distinction between female & woman (speaking of people) rather than one who uses them as synonyms.
Emily is such a person. So am I.

Under the vast majority of circumstances and contexts the difference between female and woman is utterly unimportant.
But under some it is important.
Tom

I have confusion here.

All adult humans (and juvenile humans) are just like animals because we are animals.

Of course, you did not mean to acknowledge that, you meant to maliciously twist Emily's accurate statement to accuse her of, what, exactly?

I'll piggy-back on this and point out the absolute and complete lack of any objection to that Quinn person remaining part of the women's soccer team (I think), regardless of them being openly transgender and non-binary. You know why? Because regardless of how they identify and present, they are still ***female*** and are not taking steroids, so they are welcome to continue participating on the women's team.
The best (worst) part of the Quinn soccer player thing was that she acknowledged that she knew nobody objected to her presence in the women's team, and how achingly close (yet achingly far away) she was to understanding why nobody objected to her being in the women's soccer team but people object to trans women in women's teams.

Hint, Quinn: your unbelievably narcissistic actions of choosing to call yourself non-binary and having a mononym don't change anything relevant about what sports team you should play on, because they change nothing about your physiology.

What we need here is a good Dad solution.
Any of the dads of my neighborhood growing up would have approached this sort of fight in the exact same way.
"What the hell's going on in here?!"
"He wants in my spaces!"
"I'm SHE so they're my spaces, too!"
"You're not a she!"
"You can't tell me what i am or amn't!"
"SHUDDUP BOTH OF YA! If you two can't figure this out, we'll just take spaces away, OKAY?"
"Dad, no..."
"Mr. Willis, we didn't want..."
"Nope. Too late. Now there are just bathrooms with urinals and bathrooms without. Got it!?!"
"....yessir...."
"Ya happy?"
".....not really..."
"Well, you had your chance. Now go change the signs on the bathrooms, locker rooms, gyms, saunas..."
"......yes, sir."

I love how the solution to women defending their rights and their boundaries is somehow "solved" by a man coming in and telling us that if we don't behave the way he wants us to, he'll take away ALL of our boundaries, so we should all just shut up and sit down and be kind.

Nothing like a man coming in to tell women how women need to behave.

On the other hand, I will grant that people mistake the professed gender identity of other people all the goddamned time, because not a one of us has managed to evolve functioning ESP that can see into someone else's brain and determine what gender role they have the highest affinity for.
People often confuse my astrological sign. I’m not a Pisces FFS. I’m fluid between Taurus and Gemini.
That made me laugh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom