• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

US President 2016 - the Great Horse Race

That he is the candidate at all bothers me greatly.

I predict there will be no more than three Republican candidates for President in 2020.
Well, that was the intent for '16 after '12.

Monmouth released polls recently. Three/four candidates races for Nevada and Iowa. Oddly, Clinton is up in Nevada while Trump is up a couple points in Iowa. This would be the first true Battleground state that Trump is up in a poll. The poll also shows Grassley clocking the Democrat competitor.
Here seems to be an interesting poll from Monmouth... Colorado... Clinton is up 13 points! She is up 8 points on Trump/Johnson combined! Feels like an outlier or maybe the others are.

Muddle muddle muddle. More polls to put in the puddle.

Marquette and NBC have released a bunch of polls. In general, NBC flies in the face of the Quin. poll, most notably, Clinton leading by a lot in PA.

Marquette shows Clinton leading in Wisconsin.

How'd they do predicting Brexit?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

I think that they said it was very close and the results would be within the margin of error, so any prediction was necessarily a shot in the dark. Clinton's victory won't be close.

I don't know what betting markets you were looking at but the ones I saw reported on had Remain at 75% and Leave at 25%.

I think that they said it was very close and the results would be within the margin of error, so any prediction was necessarily a shot in the dark. Clinton's victory won't be close.

I don't know what betting markets you were looking at but the ones I saw reported on had Remain at 75% and Leave at 25%.

I was looking at the polls. Did the betting markets not follow that? Granted, gamblers are stupid and that's why getting gamblers to give you money is always a good business plan, because t one would assume that at least a small Bart of them would have some rationale for their actions.

To what extent does a person wanting a candidate to win or lose influence a held belief of who will win based mostly on available evidence (or indicators)? The underlying assumption is that we're not completely unbiased. If evidence doesn't appear to favor one candidate winning over the other, or even if the scale is slightly tipped in one direction, then who we want to win may influence our belief of who will win despite the tipping not being in our direction. At some point, as evidence becomes stronger, then some of us will either gain a stronger conviction (if it looks like we're right) or begin to change our belief (if it looks like we're wrong). I suppose the answer may be different for different people, as for some more than others, it may take more evidence (or more taking stock into certain indicators) to dispel disbelief as wants and evidence diverge (for those coming to the realization their wrong) or to confirm what they want is going to materialize (for those who are getting what they want).

Muddle muddle muddle. More polls to put in the puddle.

Marquette and NBC have released a bunch of polls. In general, NBC flies in the face of the Quin. poll, most notably, Clinton leading by a lot in PA.

Marquette shows Clinton leading in Wisconsin.

Nate Silver has a good piece up today about how to evaluate new polls that come out with numbers that are different from the general trend.

More Quinnipiac polls. This time, three polls for Senate and the incumbent Republicans in PA, FL, and OH are well up.

It seems Trump isn't dragging the party down with him, yet.

More Quinnipiac polls. This time, three polls for Senate and the incumbent Republicans in PA, FL, and OH are well up.

It seems Trump isn't dragging the party down with him, yet.

Well, the E-mail gate investigation really hurt Hillary. There will be a continuous string of congressional investigations against HRC for the next 4 months. I'm sure that her murder of Vince Foster and all the other "gates" will open up again. The republicans will do anything to avoid debating the real issues and the looniness of Trump.

Fox News polls from yesterday point to bad news for Trump with Clinton well up in Colorado and Virginia.

So now the question easily becomes, "Who is polling better?" Rasmussen has a republican bias, but so does Fox News. Rasmussen shows Trump up, Fox News shows Clinton up.

Independent polls show it all over the place. So it begs the question, is polling technique and analysis being tested here? The results could be greatly affected by who is getting polled (or who can actually be reached).

Let's look at the numbers from the polls taken after the email FBI announcement.

Gravis has Clinton up by 2 points. It was an auto-dial poll, no word on cell v land breakout. Breakout was 78% white and 16% Hispanic, 5% other.
Fox News has Clinton up by 10 points. It was an auto-dial poll with about 3 in 5 being cell and 2 in 5 being land. No breakout on race. However, their results on the Senate match up well with Monmouth. Monmouth's breakout was 83% white and 11% Hispanic, 3% black (three times that of Gravis), 2% other.

In 2012, the turnout was 78% white, 14% Hispanic, 3% black. You know under-representing blacks by even 2 pts will make a difference in the polling because blacks will likely not vote for Trump, perhaps at all. But even accounting for that, Fox News and Monmouth seem much higher than Gravis, meaning the white people being polled are from a little bit different pools.

All this number porking tells us, while we know polls are a bit off with accuracy, they may be impossible to judge from company to company.

Fox News polls from yesterday point to bad news for Trump with Clinton well up in Colorado and Virginia.

So now the question easily becomes, "Who is polling better?" Rasmussen has a republican bias, but so does Fox News. Rasmussen shows Trump up, Fox News shows Clinton up.

Independent polls show it all over the place. So it begs the question, is polling technique and analysis being tested here? The results could be greatly affected by who is getting polled (or who can actually be reached).

Let's look at the numbers from the polls taken after the email FBI announcement.

Gravis has Clinton up by 2 points. It was an auto-dial poll, no word on cell v land breakout. Breakout was 78% white and 16% Hispanic, 5% other.
Fox News has Clinton up by 10 points. It was an auto-dial poll with about 3 in 5 being cell and 2 in 5 being land. No breakout on race. However, their results on the Senate match up well with Monmouth. Monmouth's breakout was 83% white and 11% Hispanic, 3% black (three times that of Gravis), 2% other.

In 2012, the turnout was 78% white, 14% Hispanic, 3% black. You know under-representing blacks by even 2 pts will make a difference in the polling because blacks will likely not vote for Trump, perhaps at all. But even accounting for that, Fox News and Monmouth seem much higher than Gravis, meaning the white people being polled are from a little bit different pools.

All this number porking tells us, while we know polls are a bit off with accuracy, they may be impossible to judge from company to company.

Few of the polls show that Trumps numbers have gone up, just that Clinton's dipped. Trump still seems stuck at 40%. But it also looks like he's getting clobbered in electoral votes.

Trump's polling is abysmal with college educated whites. Wow. That is not good for him at all...

I hate to say it but the few Trump supporters I know are generally dumb as mudflaps. I felt that way about them long before Trump came along.

Trump's polling is abysmal with college educated whites. Wow. That is not good for him at all...

I hate to say it but the few Trump supporters I know are generally dumb as mudflaps. I felt that way about them long before Trump came along.

What happened to toleration, acceptance, and embracement? The mudophobia needs to stop!

Back
Top Bottom