• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

US President 2016 - the Great Horse Race

I'll let the philosophers judge.

If you take out ALL the context around that question, let it stand in stark isolation as if my entire post was one sentence long, then you are proven to be right.

If you take the time to actually read the damn post and actually respond to what is actually written, you find that you aren't responding to what I wrote but what you want me to have written.

This is creationist-level quote mining.

If you take out ALL the context around that question, let it stand in stark isolation as if my entire post was one sentence long, then you are proven to be right.

If you take the time to actually read the damn post and actually respond to what is actually written, you find that you aren't responding to what I wrote but what you want me to have written.

Okay, the whole post.
"What to do about it" isn't the same as "Who should be in the hot seat to get the blame".

Whoever is in the hot seat will get the blame, fair or unfair. So who would you rather see the American public hate for the crash?
If I misunderstood the entire context of several posts prior to me replying to you, that'd be my mistake, but please, don't make it sound like I took you out of context intentionally.

Yeah, that was my first attempt to put you back on track after you misread and quote-mined the original post with this question.

I am not enough of a mind-reader to tell if you did it intentionally, but doing it repeatedly is a clue that doesn't reflect well on you.

If Clinton, invest in cash. If Trump, I'd suggest canned goods.

The LDS Church has a good take on this. Have a one year stockpile of non perishable foods. It's a good idea but who really does this anymore.

Later,
ElectEngr

Realistically this only makes sense for rural dwellers.

Suppose I stockpiled a year's food? If the shit hits the fan badly enough that I need it what are the chances the electricity and water will work? This place is completely uninhabitable without both.

The LDS Church has a good take on this. Have a one year stockpile of non perishable foods. It's a good idea but who really does this anymore.

Later,
ElectEngr

Suppose I stockpiled a year's food? If the shit hits the fan badly enough that I need it what are the chances the electricity and water will work? This place is completely uninhabitable without both.

Also, if the shit hits the fan and I know that you have a year's supply of food, I'm totally going to murder you and steal all your food. I mean ... nothing personal ... but that's what's going to happen.

Also, if the shit hits the fan and I know that you have a year's supply of food, I'm totally going to murder you and steal all your food. I mean ... nothing personal ... but that's what's going to happen.
Oh come on now. That is a bit of a step too far. Simply holding a gun to his head and forcing him to load his food into your car should be sufficient - unless he resists.

Yeah, for reals. I mean, what's the point of setting up a Sophie's Choice, if no one is going to take the bait?

Oh come on now. That is a bit of a step too far. Simply holding a gun to his head and forcing him to load his food into your car should be sufficient - unless he resists.

You're all invited to my place if that happens. Bring a gun. There are enough rabbits within 100 feet of my house to feed the entire forum for a year. And that's without even starting on the deer, antelope or elk. Not to mention the thousand or so head of cattle within a half mile... City slickers can suck it! :)

You're all invited to my place if that happens. Bring a gun. There are enough rabbits within 100 feet of my house to feed the entire forum for a year. And that's without even starting on the deer, antelope or elk. Not to mention the thousand or so head of cattle within a half mile... City slickers can suck it! :)

I'm a vegan. You got Kraft Macaroni and Cheese? :cheeky:

Thanks, I'll keep that invitation in mind. :)

But if you have elk around then it likely gets damned cold there in the winters. I live on three acres well outside any city and have enough squirrels around to feed me for at least a year. And then there is a lot of other wildlife that wanders through and the ocean for fishing only a couple miles away. But your offer provides a nice back-up plan.

I'm a vegan. You got Kraft Macaroni and Cheese? :cheeky:

No, but we gotz WEED!

That's a good point. If I shoot him, I'd have to load the food in the car myself and the only thing worse than trying to survive in a post-apocalyptic hellhole is trying to survive in a post-apocalyptic hellhole with a pulled muscle in my back.

Thanks for the pro tip, dude!

Later,
ElectEngr

Then you'd better make sure to stock up on bootstraps, dude. You'll have a lot of pulling up to do.

Also, "there's your sign" that you're doing the environment no favors by being there.

That doesn't work as well as some people think. Looting is essentially a zero sum game. Attempts to loot food will result in a violent response - not from the overworked police but from the people who will be defending their store. In a looting transaction there is a definite winner and a definite loser, either the looter is killed or the food owner loses his food and possibly his life. Therefore those who do have a store will not hesitate to defend themselves, and those who don't have as much of a stockpile will be even more concerned with defending what little they have.

Will it be worth it to risk your life for a handful of crackers? If you're hungry enough it will be, and you do that often enough the odds will catch up to you. Looting in anything but a short term crisis is a dead-end game.

And for all those who think "well, I'll just go out into the country and live off the land", good luck with that because it won't work. Not only do you need to know which plants are edible, within a year the intense competition will make it lucky if you find as much as a squirrel. Oh, and you'll also run into people who are armed and don't want you hunting on their land, that will be considered poaching and looting.

The Senate Should Refuse To Confirm All Of Clinton’s Judicial Nominees - The Federalist

McCain has mentioned doing the same. Republicans have no shame, they will piss on any and all established norms of sane governance. If Dems win the Senate, they have plenty of justification for going nuclear.

Posted in the "what happens to the GOP on Nov 9th, but relevant here...

I think this is what gets forgotten too often: they never have had anything of value to add. They have never wanted to. The political process is not their goal! Their goal is to destroy the political process so that plutocrats can do what they want. And what they want is not to be political, not elected, not answerable to the people. They don't want that, it's not their goal and never has been. It harms us to forget that. They want government, the realm of politicians, democracy and accountability to the people, to be small enough to be drowned in a bath tub. Leaving the plutocracy to run everything.

Back
Top Bottom