• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

US President 2016 - the Great Horse Race

They don't need any experience. They have a small army of advisors to call on for advice.

Yes, that worked out so well for Bush II. It produced the largest terrorist attack on US soil, two unnecessary wars killing hundreds of thousands and costing trillions of dollars and the worse recession since the Great Depression. Coupled with an untold number of less spectacular disasters, including turning a balanced budget into a 1.4 trillion dollar deficit, the erosion of voting rights, the appointment of reactionary judges, most notably to the US Supreme Court, the reappearance of racism as a fundamental of national policy, ever increasing income and wealth inequality, etc.

Hillary best chance of becoming the first lady president in US history is Donald Trump.
Because that's what's really important.
Hillary-PENIS-FREE-Feature-630x310.jpg

<snip - attempt at deflection>​

It is not nearly as important as preventing another conservative disaster in the presidency like George W.Bush from happening again. It is vitally important that we remember the lessons of history, that we must ignore conservatives because they are always wrong about the problems that we face.

Pointing out that much of her appeal comes from her gender alone is not misogyny.
What is funny is that Clinton was Secretary of State.
Yes. She has experience. She is just not "most experienced candidate in modern history" like her fans and sycophants love to claim (by adding her 16 years as wife of governor/president as experience). Not by a long shot.
I think she outsourced that job (to Monica among others I am sure) way back in the 90s. :diablotin:

You can be forgiven this mistake because you wrote this before the Republican debate where the participants agreed that Hillary is the most experienced candidate. See here.

WALLACE: Senator Rubio, when Jeb Bush announced his candidacy for presidency, he said this: "There's no passing off responsibility when you're a governor, no blending into the legislative crowd."

Could you please address Governor Bush across the stage here, and explain to him why you, someone who has never held executive office, are better prepared to be president than he is, a man who you say did a great job running your state of Florida for eight years.

RUBIO: Well, thank you for the question, Chris, and it's great to be here tonight. Let me begin by saying this: I'm not new to the political process; I was making a contribution as the speaker of the third largest and most diverse state in the country well before I even got into the Senate.

I would add to that that this election cannot be a resume competition. It's important to be qualified, but if this election is a resume competition, then Hillary Clinton's gonna be the next president, because she's been in office and in government longer than anybody else running here tonight.

Because that's what's really important.
Hillary-PENIS-FREE-Feature-630x310.jpg

<snip - attempt at deflection>​

It is not nearly as important as preventing another conservative disaster in the presidency like George W.Bush from happening again. It is vitally important that we remember the lessons of history, that we must ignore conservatives because they are always wrong about the problems that we face.

I think the most important thing to remember is the names Ginsburg, Scalia, Kennedy, and Breyer. Between now and January 20, 2021, some or perhaps all will leave the bench. If any of the clown car passengers gets in the White House, the Roberts court could potentially go from the current 5/4 split with one swing vote to a 7/2 conservative bent. With that and the Congress still in conservative hands, we'd get another taste of all three branches held by the right wing. And I think we all know how that turned out last time.

Breitbart for sale

Breitbart Staffers Believe Trump Has Given Money To Site For Favorable Coverage - BuzzFeed News
According to four sources with knowledge of the situation, editors and writers at the outlet have privately complained since at least last year that the company’s top management was allowing Trump to turn Breitbart into his own fan website — using it to hype his political prospects and attack his enemies. One current editor called the water-carrying “despicable” and “embarrassing,” and said he was told by an executive last year that the company had a financial arrangement with Trump. A second Breitbart staffer said he had heard a similar description of the site’s relationship with the billionaire but didn’t know the details; and a third source at the company said he knew of several instances when managers had overruled editors at Trump’s behest. Additionally, a conservative communications operative who works closely with Breitbart described conversations in which “multiple writers and editors” said Trump was paying for the ability to shape coverage, and added that one staffer claimed to have seen documentation of the “pay for play.”
But capitalism is what they believe in, and capitalism is what they've been getting -- Donald Trump allegedly buying sycophantic coverage of himself.

Money equals free speech now. He with the most money has the most free speech.

He seems a lot more like the Democrat stereotype of a Republican than an actual Republian.

And I still don't think he has any intent to win this. Or even finish it. He may be running to get concessions. Hey may be running for an ego trip.

And why run as a Republican?

If that's the case, then it would seem that the Democratic stereotype of a Republican is pretty fucking accurate.

There's a reason that Trump is leading and that reason is that he appeals to the types of voters that Republicans have been catering to for the past couple of decades. The establishment candidates were never all that serious about this group, but pandered to them nonetheless because they were easy votes. Now that strategy has come back to bite them in the ass because someone is running who's gone to the logical extension of what they've been building.

The GOP made themselves a joke and now is complaining that everyone has started laughing. It's disingenuous for them to try and distance themselves from the natural results of their actions.

I term the modern conservatives to be diminished disciples, they don't realize that these talking points were just meant to gain votes from the rubes, the racists, the misogynists, the homophobes, the gun nuts, the religious fanatics, the xenophobes, the reactionaries, the fascists, the libertarians, etc., so that the Republicans can continue to redistribute as much of the nation's income to the very rich. After thirty five years of this we now have Republicans who believe that this mess constitutes a valid way to govern the country. The first of the diminished we saw with serious influence on policies were in the administration of George W.Bush, with predictable, disastrous results.

Last edited:

I think the most important thing to remember is the names Ginsburg, Scalia, Kennedy, and Breyer. Between now and January 20, 2021, some or perhaps all will leave the bench. If any of the clown car passengers gets in the White House, the Roberts court could potentially go from the current 5/4 split with one swing vote to a 7/2 conservative bent. With that and the Congress still in conservative hands, we'd get another taste of all three branches held by the right wing. And I think we all know how that turned out last time.

Agreed. See my post #661 to anglo above.

Breitbart for sale

Breitbart Staffers Believe Trump Has Given Money To Site For Favorable Coverage - BuzzFeed News

But capitalism is what they believe in, and capitalism is what they've been getting -- Donald Trump allegedly buying sycophantic coverage of himself.

I think we have lost track of the meaning of FREE. That really means without cost. So what about all this bought and paid for speech is is just that bought speech...not so free. It also is "comb-over" ugly.

I think we have lost track of the meaning of FREE. That really means without cost. So what about all this bought and paid for speech is is just that bought speech...not so free. It also is "comb-over" ugly.

Good point. I fell into the trap of using the terminology provided by others without thinking about it.

That's a different definition of free which is unrelated to its usage in the term free speech. That means exempt external interference and restriction.

And people waiting for Trump to flame out can wait longer, as he climbs in the polls again despite inflammatory comments at the debate.

And people waiting for Trump to flame out can wait longer, as he climbs in the polls again despite inflammatory comments at the debate.

I don't see Trump as being so out of touch with the rest of the Republican candidates. They also say ridiculous things. They are just not as honest about it as Trump is.

He's not out of touch with the ugliness of the republican voter base at all. That's why he's flogging the other candidates.

Who will he piss off next? African Americans? Muslims? Jews? Mormons? Retired people?

Trump is only honest as far as how he feels about anyone on his enemies list (=anyone who doesn't kowtow to him). Otherwise, he lies more than most.

He was shut out of some stupid right-wing event for his comments against Kelly. The effect however is galvanizing his supporters who think the Republicans are just as bad as the Democrats they demonize. They are shutting him out because he is an outsider.

While I still don't think he'll make it to Iowa, his support levels are uncanny and honestly, quite frightening. He is kicking Ted Cruz's ass.

Trump should have known Republicans really, really hate misogyny!

Not all in Israel believe that the deal is anti-Israel. See here.

“There are no ideal agreements,” declared Ami Ayalon, a military veteran who headed the Israeli Navy and later oversaw the Jewish state’s security service, the Shin Bet. But as Ayalon explained to J.J. Goldberg of the Forward, this agreement is “the best possible alternative from Israel’s point of view, given the other available alternatives” — including the most likely alternative which is, as Obama explained, another extremely dangerous Mideast war.

Efraim Halevy, who formerly ran the Mossad, Israel’s foreign intelligence service, and later headed its National Security Council, concurs with Ayalon (and Obama). Writing in Yedioth Aharonoth, the national daily published in Tel Aviv, Halevy points out a profound contradiction in Netanyahu’s blustering complaints. Having warned that an Iranian nuclear weapon would pose a unique existential threat to Israel, how can Bibi logically reject the agreement that forestalls any bomb development for at least 15 years and increases the “breakout time” from one month to a year — even if Iran ultimately violates its commitments?

Such a deal is far preferable to no deal, the ex-Mossad chief insists, although it won’t necessarily dissuade Tehran from making trouble elsewhere. Halevy also emphasizes that no mythical “better” deal would ever win support from Russia and China, Iran’s main weapons suppliers, whose leaders have endorsed this agreement.

In short, both of these top former officials believe the agreement with Iran will enhance their nation’s security – and contrary to what Fox News Channel’s sages might claim, they represent mainstream opinion in Israel’s military and intelligence circles.

On the other hand the hardliners in Israel and in the US have been wrong about everything so far, predicting, incorrectly, that Iran has been only a year away from building a bomb for each of the last 9 or 10 years. That they are in agreement with the hardliners in Iran, the mullahs, who support Iran building a bomb and who also oppose the deal.

Couple that with the fact that conservatives in the US have opposed every disarmament treaty for the last fifty years, including the ones negotiated by their great otherwise infallible leader, Reagan. And you can see why we have no reason to assume that anything that the conservatives and hardliners say is valid. Why they deserve to be ignored.
The ending of sanctions is never mentioned. It frees up billions of US dollars for Iran to export terrorism throughout
The Middle East and elsewhere.

Okay, I'll rephrase it. Donald Trump gives the democrats the best chance of holding the White House.

Actually, no. They all are pretty bad. The White House is theirs to lose along with the Senate.

One thing I like about this whole republican nominee zoo is that we can finally see how big the respective voting blocs that have made up the republican party really are. Some polls put Trump at 33%. Others at 25. Add Cruz's 4-5% or so, and we have the anti-government crypto-racist tea party. The neocons, religious wing and the big business groups seem to be more fragmented, and probably, smaller.

Ho Ho, Ha Ha!

Back
Top Bottom