• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

US President 2016 - the Great Horse Race

Not taking in Syrian refugees is like, after the Katrina hurricane, that we put walls up around New Orleans to prevent help from reaching people. Because they have themselves to blame. W

To be fair, it's really not a good place to put a city. And eroding the delta didn't help.

Not taking in Syrian refugees is like, after the Katrina hurricane, that we put walls up around New Orleans to prevent help from reaching people. Because they have themselves to blame. W

To be fair, it's really not a good place to put a city. And eroding the delta didn't help.

1) There's the same problem with Taipei. The difference is that they have a Katrina every other year. So they plan for it.
2) It could be argued that it's an equally bad idea to put a city in the Middle-East. With all those wars going on and such

Cities typically go where the water (river) is.

Cities typically go where the water (river) is.

Yes, but they don't typically have to put up walls to prevent the river from flowing over the city.

It's actually quite common. And we have tried and tested architectural thingamabobs to make the cities safe. What USA lacks is a strong central government which plans for this sort of thing. These kinds of things in USA is typically left to the individual cities, no matter their finances. And if they can't pony up the cash, then the population just has to take the hit when it comes. Since humans have a perception bias against doing this kind of risk analysis, nobody is going to take the relevant preventative steps. Experts predicted the Katrina disaster a hundred years before it came. It was just a matter of time.

The American way of "organising" things has it's good sides and bad sides.

Yes, but they don't typically have to put up walls to prevent the river from flowing over the city.

It's actually quite common. And we have tried and tested architectural thingamabobs to make the cities safe. What USA lacks is a strong central government which plans for this sort of thing. These kinds of things in USA is typically left to the individual cities, no matter their finances. And if they can't pony up the cash, then the population just has to take the hit when it comes. Since humans have a perception bias against doing this kind of risk analysis, nobody is going to take the relevant preventative steps. Experts predicted the Katrina disaster a hundred years before it came. It was just a matter of time.

A tropical storm or weak hurricane indicated there would be trouble. The main problem with Katrina was that the flood systems were not designed to keep a Metropolitan City from flooding.

A tropical storm or weak hurricane indicated there would be trouble. The main problem with Katrina was that the flood systems were not designed to keep a Metropolitan City from flooding.

Taipei has solved it by having their flood systems designed to prevent just that. We know it's doable. All it required was the planing and somebody to fund it. The city is back now, and I don't think they've fixed the problem yet. Have they?

Okay, remember now.

As of 1/20/2017, the following position changes are announced:
Democrats are once again against drone bombing foreigners and all Republicans are now in favor of it.
Republicans become in favor of raising the debt ceiling while Democrats become against it.
Expanding presidential powers will be opposed by Democrats and supported by Republicans.
Oceana has always been at war with Eastasia.

Okay, remember now.

As of 1/20/2017, the following position changes are announced:
Democrats are once again against drone bombing foreigners and all Republicans are now in favor of it.
Republicans become in favor of raising the debt ceiling while Democrats become against it.
Expanding presidential powers will be opposed by Democrats and supported by Republicans.
Oceana has always been at war with Eastasia.

Thanks for the reminder. It would have been really awkward to have gotten those wrong.

The conservative highly divisive president Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho does it again. In his inauguration speech promises two things that he has made it eminently clear that he doesn't value at all. . This isn't starting out well. If he wanted unity, why does he talk smack at every opportunity? Here's my suspicion. I think "unity" is one of those long words that president Camacho doesn't understand. He just uses it a lot so people will think he's smart. I also suspect that he thinks change is the same thing as the opposite of what it really means.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-38685832

So... inaugeration underway and Trump looks like he has been a naughty boy called to talk to the principal. He doesn't look confident or even happy. I think he woke up this morning thinking "What have I gotten myself into??" and probably has had the big reveal they do to presidents that ages them 40 years in 4 years.

I'm waiting for the public address system at the inauguration to get hacked during Il Douchebag's speech and a voice coming over saying:

"Attention America, the folliwng is your new President, President Vladimir Putin."

A second voice come over in Russian with a translator

"America, you are my bitches now.

Surrender in 5 minutes or be wiped off the face of the earth"

Later,
ElectEngr

So... inaugeration underway and Trump looks like he has been a naughty boy called to talk to the principal. He doesn't look confident or even happy. I think he woke up this morning thinking "What have I gotten myself into??" and probably has had the big reveal they do to presidents that ages them 40 years in 4 years.
Saw one pic with him and Obama that looked just like that.

Trump has a cabinet full of people like him, grossfully unprepared for bureaucracy.

It's the sniffler in chief. This is the stupidest, ugliest inauguration speech I've ever heard. Hopefully he goes out like Harrison.

Back
Top Bottom