• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Veep Bets

Michelle Obama.
While her approval rating is about 105% minus the knuckle draggers, she does lack a good deal of experience of running the Federal Government. She has oodles of management experience though. If she wants to be President, she needs to get her feet wet in official State or Federal Politics. And I'm not quite certain that is something she even wants to consider. Last time she was involved up top, millions of Americans gave her the finger for suggesting children eat fruit for a snack.

Granted, the opponent had no experience being successful in anything but bluster... had no experience in politics and still won. So you know, what the heck?

Yes, that exactly what I said.

Very doubtful.

And OMG: FFS no BOOMERS!

Totally understand that as well. Nobody likes their parents. We're just here in case you need rent money or something.

Why should I care? I'll be dead soon enough anyway.
I need someone on the ticket that knows what a WIFI Password is.

Thanks, kid.

signed

The woman who taught people young enough to be her kid how to use a lot of computer programs, use wifi, AND make cookies.
Well, I haven't seen you toss your hat into the ring. Can you deliver Georgia?

Nor have I seen you and blessed few of your generation step up.

I do have some family in Georgia but it's probably not enough to deliver the state.

I'm sorry that you don't get that you spat on an entire generation of women for when they were born---while neatly bypassing the nice white guys that nobody thinks twice about whether their age, their color or their gender should be an issue. Although really: their ages, their genders and their color really are huge issues. But hey, they swing a dick so that's a pass on those issues.

No worries. Nothing I haven't heard/dealt with for the past 50+ years.

Very doubtful.

I need someone on the ticket that knows what a WIFI Password is.

Thanks, kid.

signed

The woman who taught people young enough to be her kid how to use a lot of computer programs, use wifi, AND make cookies.

I do have some family in Georgia but it's probably not enough to deliver the state.

I'm sorry that you don't get that you spat on an entire generation of women for when they were born---while neatly bypassing the nice white guys that nobody thinks twice about whether their age, their color or their gender should be an issue. Although really: their ages, their genders and their color really are huge issues. But hey, they swing a dick so that's a pass on those issues.

The old white guys were “neatly bypassed” because they’re not even a possibility, nor is any other guy. I feel like I’m reading posts by someone as comprehension-challenged as Half-Life.

Very doubtful.

Thanks, kid.

signed

The old white guys were “neatly bypassed” because they’re not even a possibility, nor is any other guy. I feel like I’m reading posts by someone as comprehension-challenged as Half-Life.

The old white guys are running for POTUS. They get the pass for their gender, their age and their skin color. They get top billing.

An entire couple of generations fetishized Bernie Sanders as cool cranky old grandpa--wouldn't it be neat to have him be POTUS because he's the ONLY one who ever thought of all these things that we want---and then condemn women on a case by case basis for not being perfect enough to even consider as a potential POTUS candidate and now why not write off the most progressive prominent female politician with a national presence and pertinent experience who shares most of the same values and goals as Sanders because she's 'too old.'

It ain't her age that is objectionable.

The old white guys are running for POTUS. They get the pass for their gender, their age and their skin color. They get top billing.

An entire couple of generations fetishized Bernie Sanders as cool cranky old grandpa--wouldn't it be neat to have him be POTUS because he's the ONLY one who ever thought of all these things that we want---and then condemn women on a case by case basis for not being perfect enough to even consider as a potential POTUS candidate and now why not write off the most progressive prominent female politician with a national presence and pertinent experience who shares most of the same values and goals as Sanders because she's 'too old.'

This thread is about VP candidates. Please have the courtesy to stay on topic.

I am on topic.

VP candidates are chosen for many reasons related directly to the candidate for POTUS.

Now that we have appropriately chosen which two doddering old white guys we can vote for, it seems somehow insincere to object to Warren on the basis of her age. Clearly her age is not a disqualifying characteristic for POTUS. Half and perhaps the most important of the duties of VP are to take over of the POTUS is unable to fulfill his duties. Yes, I typed his because clearly the duties will ALWAYS be ‘his.’ That’s the default setting. Hell, the only reason most of these women’s names appear on any list is because Biden said he’d pick a woman running mate. Otherwise the party would be very happy to rifle through a list of suitably obscure white men. Their age would never be mentioned so long as they are at least 45.

I am on topic.

VP candidates are chosen for many reasons related directly to the candidate for POTUS.

Now that we have appropriately chosen which two doddering old white guys we can vote for, it seems somehow insincere to object to Warren on the basis of her age. Clearly her age is not a disqualifying characteristic for POTUS. Half and perhaps the most important of the duties of VP are to take over of the POTUS is unable to fulfill his duties. Yes, I typed his because clearly the duties will ALWAYS be ‘his.’ That’s the default setting. Hell, the only reason most of these women’s names appear on any list is because Biden said he’d pick a woman running mate. Otherwise the party would be very happy to rifle through a list of suitably obscure white men. Their age would never be mentioned so long as they are at least 45.

Jebus. Obscure white man cost Clinton the election last time around.

We need to BALANCE the ticket. Had Harris or Booker or Klobuchar or Buttigieg got the nomination, Warren could work better with the ticket. But seeing how bloody old Biden is, there needs to be youth and experience. Warren doesn’t have the youth and honestly, I still don’t see what progressives see in her. I know she has her fans but I don’t get the prog cred.

So we are stuck trying to find candidates that could become the President earlier than later. That shortens up the list pretty damn quick. Then we need candidates that don’t take away vulnerable Senate seats.

So this leaves us with Booker, Harris, Klobuchar, Bennett off the top of the top of my head. Abrams gets in on charisma, state experience, and a newly vulnerable pair of Senate seats in Georgia.

Bennett is this year’s Kaine. He provided little else than a suit with experience and Colorado’s electoral vote.

That leaves us with Booker, Harris, Klobuchar, and Abrams. Some think Governors but I just don’t see the Covid bug giving them (NY and MI governors) time to run and deal with an epidemic.

I think Harris, Klobuchar, and Abrams provide the biggest jolt for Biden.

I am on topic.

Now that we have appropriately chosen which two doddering old white guys we can vote for, it seems somehow insincere to object to Warren on the basis of her age.

It's sad that you can so easily mistake logic for insincerity. The VP candidate needs to complement the POTUS candidate. You don't pick two old farts; you don't pick two young people; you usually don't pick two people from the same part of the country. Politics 101.

I'm hoping for Harris, Klobuchar, or Whitmer, but since I'm not a Warren fan, it's because I want women in the kitchen making the sandwiches. [smh]

I am on topic.

We need to BALANCE the ticket. Had Harris or Booker or Klobuchar or Buttigieg got the nomination, Warren could work better with the ticket. But seeing how bloody old Biden is, there needs to be youth and experience. Warren doesn’t have the youth and honestly, I still don’t see what progressives see in her. I know she has her fans but I don’t get the prog cred.

So we are stuck trying to find candidates that could become the President earlier than later. That shortens up the list pretty damn quick. Then we need candidates that don’t take away vulnerable Senate seats.

So this leaves us with Booker, Harris, Klobuchar, Bennett off the top of the top of my head. Abrams gets in on charisma, state experience, and a newly vulnerable pair of Senate seats in Georgia.

Bennett is this year’s Kaine. He provided little else than a suit with experience and Colorado’s electoral vote.

That leaves us with Booker, Harris, Klobuchar, and Abrams. Some think Governors but I just don’t see the Covid bug giving them (NY and MI governors) time to run and deal with an epidemic.

Which wasn't the argument you made.

I am on topic.

Now that we have appropriately chosen which two doddering old white guys we can vote for, it seems somehow insincere to object to Warren on the basis of her age.

It's sad that you can so easily mistake logic for insincerity. The VP candidate needs to complement the POTUS candidate. You don't pick two old farts; you don't pick two young people; you usually don't pick two people from the same part of the country. Politics 101.

I'm hoping for Harris, Klobuchar, or Whitmer, but since I'm not a Warren fan, it's because I want women in the kitchen making the sandwiches. [smh]

Again, that wasn't the argument made. And one that could so easily have been made. In fact, I frequently bemoaned the ages of Sanders, Biden AND also Warren right here on this board, although with the caveat that Warren is significantly younger (at their ages, 8 years is significant indeed!) and seemingly without the serious health issues either Sanders or Biden are known to possess (mentioned by me, above) with the added benefit that she seems much more spry, energetic, and agile of mind than either Sanders or Biden.

But that wasn't the argument made.

Michelle Obama.
While her approval rating is about 105% minus the knuckle draggers, she does lack a good deal of experience of running the Federal Government. She has oodles of management experience though. If she wants to be President, she needs to get her feet wet in official State or Federal Politics. And I'm not quite certain that is something she even wants to consider. Last time she was involved up top, millions of Americans gave her the finger for suggesting children eat fruit for a snack.

Granted, the opponent had no experience being successful in anything but bluster... had no experience in politics and still won. So you know, what the heck?

I have never seen her express any interest in being in government in any official capacity.

I am on topic.

Again, that wasn't the argument made. And one that could so easily have been made. In fact, I frequently bemoaned the ages of Sanders, Biden AND also Warren right here on this board, although with the caveat that Warren is significantly younger (at their ages, 8 years is significant indeed!) and seemingly without the serious health issues either Sanders or Biden are known to possess (mentioned by me, above) with the added benefit that she seems much more spry, energetic, and agile of mind than either Sanders or Biden.

But that wasn't the argument made.

You said, "Yeah, anybody but a woman." Now you're trying to gaslight us with the age bullshit.

You could be on the short list for Trump's next press secretary.

Cuomo isn't a viable option. There is the Coronavirus response that'll be on going for several more months. This is a bad year for Governor VP candidates.
Plus Biden painted himself into a corner pledging to appoint a female Veep. So Cuomo is out because he has wrong plumbing, unless he makes like Bruce Jenner.
But what you are saying would exclude governors with politically correct plumbing as well, some of them from the Independent short list posted here - NM gov Michelle Grisham and MI gov Gretchen Whitmer.

Sanders is too darn old. And the references to Grumpy Old Men will get tiring after a while.
Yes, even older than Biden himself. And I can't imagine him being game for playing second fiddle in the Eisenhower Building. And age applies to Warren too, as she will be 71 at inauguration. 78 and 71 is too old a ticket.

Sen. Harris is probably a top the list.
I agree. And if George "Voodonomics" Bush could be selected by Reagan, I do not see why Biden could not choose Kamala "I was that girl" Harris. :)

There is Stacey Abrams too.
Stop making Stacey Abrams happen - it's not going to happen. She was only a state legislator and she was elected from uncontested districts, which means she has never won a contested election. Ever.
If you want a black woman from the South East, why not take a look at Val Demings. Congresswoman (flipped a seat when she first won in 2016), and before that police chief of Orlando.

She lacks as much experience as Harris
To put it mildly.

I am on topic.

Which wasn't the argument you made.

I’ve made many arguments regarding candidates since this awful process began... what two years ago? My posts aren’t in a vacuum.

I am on topic.

I actually think that you make some good points. I do think that there are great double standards on women. And I think that as women age, they are perceived as being bossy and stern. But I think that in this case, running with Joe Biden, we need really need a younger woman candidate who can shore up his weaknesses. I also think that VP should be someone who can be viable in 8 years. If Warren had won, I'd want her to pick a younger person for the same reason. I just can't see Warren being able to run again in 8 years.

wasn’t responding to Biden’s promise. I was responding to the post.
The post said "no to Warren", and not "no to any woman".
And the horror expressed at selecting a woman who has the nerve to be over 50.
70, not 50, but thanks for playing. Kamala Harris would be a strong choice for Veep and she is in her 50s.

I mean it’s one thing to have doddering old white guys with well documented and serious health problems but we certainly must not consider an older woman!
Biden is a presumptive nominee. Pairing him with a running mate who is also over 70 would be a big mistake.

The greatest chance for a woman president in my lifetime is probably Biden picking a female VP, then obligingly croaking.

Just sayin' ...

The greatest chance for a woman president in my lifetime is probably Biden picking a female VP, then obligingly croaking.

Just sayin' ...

Or just having Biden say he would never run for re-election in 4 years; and would be endorsing his VP select for 2024...

Back
Top Bottom