• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Victory Day in Russia (and Ukraine?)

Elixir

Made in America
Basic Beliefs
English is complicated
What should we expect to see for a B Day celebration in Ukraine?
Will they bomb some more schools and hospitals? Maybe round up a few Ukrainian civilians and have a public execution party?
Or will it be more subdued … like maybe they’ll sink some more of their own ships, blow up some of their tanks etc?

Or will they restrict the celebration to home turf out of fear of the Ukranian Nazis?

How can this possibly come off as anything but a sick, perverted joke?

Will they bomb some more schools and hospitals? Maybe round up a few Ukrainian civilians and have a public execution party?
Or will it be more subdued … like maybe they’ll sink some more of their own ships, blow up some of their tanks etc?

Or will they restrict the celebration to home turf out of fear of the Ukranian Nazis?

How can this possibly come off as anything but a sick, perverted joke?
Yes, what will they do? Will Putler mobilize his citizens for the draft? Or will he draw down? I think that it's very interesting to see what will happen. I hope for all the people suffering in Ukraine that Russia retreats to their positions before 2.24 tomorrow. But I'll assume the worse. I hate to say it, but I fear that civilians will be in danger as long as Russians are within artillery range.

Interesting that Finland and Sweden will wait to decide on joining NATO until after tomorrow.

If Putler signals continuation of the war, we must find a way to cut off his funding. The west currently sends almost a billion dollars a day to Russia. I heard a report yesterday that states that Russia spends 800 million dollars a day on the war. We have to find a way to cut off their funds, until Russia simply can't afford the war anymore.

I fear that civilians will be in danger as long as Russians are within artillery range.

That’s what I was thinking. If they do anything in Ukraine to “celebrate” the occasion, it will probably be a spectacular show of fury and might, not unlike a Bastille Day or Fourth of July celebration except with live killing.

More likely though, there will be little or nothing going on. Their deployed troops may not be in a party mood.

Possible things that could happen in this year's fascist parade:
  • Declaration of War and mobilization.
  • Declaration of "victory", whatever that means.
  • Parading prisoners of war.
  • Nuclear strike on an Ukrainian city.
  • Announce annexation of the "people's republics" of Donbas to Russia.
  • Announce annexation of Mariupol.
  • Propaganda movies showing people of Mariupol celebrating and praising Russia.
  • Recognition of "people's republic of Kherson", or some other fake political entity to justify the invasion.
  • A historical lecture by Putin about how these territories always belonged to Russia and are now returning home.
  • Revealing that "Z" actually is two sevens, as in 77th anniversary of victory over nazis (though I think half a swastika seems more fitting)
... and of course the usual tirades about denazification and defeating fascists like everyone's granparents did back in 1945. :rolleyes:

What? No celebratory razing of random populated villages?

How can we tell the difference to normal, everyday razing of villages?

Maybe the Russian soldiers could wear party hats or something...

That works. Also happy faces and googly eyes on rocket housings; stuff like that can really boost morale when you’re getting your ass kicked.

My grandfather was one of the most highly decorated soldiers of WWII, and his Commanding Officer said, after the war, that he believed that it was the tinsel on his helmet that got him shot.

Some limited call up of additional troops without declaring war: Stop-loss enacted. Call up of recent veterans who's training hasn't diminished.
My understanding is Ivan is hurting for troops. They can hardly take territory and afford the troops to hold it. They are backing away from Kharkiv for this reason, blowing bridges on their way out. Nothing says we don't plan on coming back like blowing up the bridges behind you.
Ukrainian forces have a united front now moving through Kharkiv and it should be out of artillery range soon. Then it's on to Izyum and hitting targets in and around Belgorod, I suspect.

Meanwhile Russian civilians are loosing interest in the "special operation" as their concern turns toward their own economic woes.

I'm guessing Barbos hasn't been around for a few days because the preparation for this is phenomenal. It's going to be massive, bro!

Or Russia's creditors are going to take turn sodomizing the country for defaulting. It could go either way.

Some limited call up of additional troops without declaring war: Stop-loss enacted. Call up of recent veterans who's training hasn't diminished.
My understanding is Ivan is hurting for troops. They can hardly take territory and afford the troops to hold it. They are backing away from Kharkiv for this reason, blowing bridges on their way out. Nothing says we don't plan on coming back like blowing up the bridges behind you.
Ukrainian forces have a united front now moving through Kharkiv and it should be out of artillery range soon. Then it's on to Izyum and hitting targets in and around Belgorod, I suspect.

Meanwhile Russian civilians are loosing interest in the "special operation" as their concern turns toward their own economic woes.
According to ISW, Russia is amassing forces in Crimea for a possible renewed offensive in the southern front. I'm glad that the Izyum pincer seems to have stalled, but I'd much rather see Russian troops being forced to pull back from entirety of the front lines.

Reactions: SLD
I don't think it matters what Putin says tomorrow, after what Zelenski said today.
I'm more worried about what Putin does, rather than what he says.

The only mildly positive thing I can imagine in his speech is if it ends with "Aaaaaaaargh....!"

I don't think it matters what Putin says tomorrow, after what Zelenski said today.
I'm more worried about what Putin does, rather than what he says.

The only mildly positive thing I can imagine in his speech is if it ends with "Aaaaaaaargh....!"
This was all supposed be over by February 26th. Coincidentally, my daughter's birthday.

Zelenskyy was supposed to be dead or deposed not long after. Then came March 24th. Then April 24th. It is a good bet that come May 24th, Ukraine will still be fighting.

Hey Barbos...how's that "special military operation" working out for you?

That was powerfully presented. I do’t think Putin has a chance of matching that message.

Putin's speech is over. Nothing new. Just the usual drivel about neo-Nazis and fighting for the motherland. I found the mention of the victims of Odessa Trade Union Building fire particularly hypocritical now that Russia is firing missiles at Odessa on a daily basis.

I'm relieved that there was no mobilization or declaration of war... at least not yet.

39-95235962790b947feea

Diplomatic row to ensue.

Putin used to be easier to figure out because he usually knew the boundaries in which he could operate. He misjudged both Ukraine's resolve and the unified response from the West against it. The sanctions were levied on Russia with unprecedented speed and weight.

This is Putin's first real loss as a leader, and it is wholly unclear where he is going from here. I half expected him to announce the annexation of Ukraine. It is easy to mock him, but he does technically have a military with technology that can destroy Ukraine, conventionally. So it is hard to just ignore the reality that he could scorch Earth Ukraine.

39-95235962790b947feea

Diplomatic row to ensue.
Who could have foreseen such a thing?

Article said:
Protesters also marched in Warsaw on Sunday evening to protest the war, bringing a tank on a tractor and parking it in front of the Russian Embassy.
Smiley face.

So apparently they were only able to drum up 20 tanks for the parade. All they have left? Here’s some more for viewing, Barbos. Enjoy them!

C18716AD-DFA3-4BBE-8024-6EA16AD377C8.jpeg

0195BA25-EA9D-4ABD-858E-FA4DD0960819.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom