• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Wait... what now?

People from the United States refer to themselves as Americans abs are referred to people of other nations as Americans ( in addition to a variety of epithets.)

Get over it.
I never suggested otherwise, and yet again you are apparently livid at my position of not disagreeing with anything you are saying, because I had the temerity to mention your country without making my comment a haigiography.

You have a massive patriotism chip on your shoulder, and appear to think that I give crap the first about patriotism of any kind or by anyone - including me.

Your country sucks. So do both of mine. It's not smart of you to take it personally, to the point of seeing slights where none exist.

Almost a year ago now, my bloodwork was dropping not so subtle hints to quit drinking. I negotiated a once a week agreement. It seems to be holding.
I’m just shocked how productive I am now. It’s like I want to accomplish something everyday, save for Saturdays, obviously. Man, if I had known this 45 years ago, I can only imagine what great things I might have accomplished.

Well that's odd. I have the opposite problem. I forgot to drink alcohol for almost 2 years.
Some months ago (May, iirc), I finally remembered to go by the liquor store. Picked up a bottle of brandy, a bottle of brandy and a bottle of sparkling wine. Mrs Elixir had quit drinking altogether several years prior, and due to my inability to remember to drink, those bottles are still on the shelf, two of them unopened. The brandy is down almost halfway to empty, because in the last few weeks I have remembered (at least 4 days a week) to take a shot before bed.
It's amazing how much better I sleep, wake up early and ready to go... EXACTLY the same things Mrs Elixir and TV&C noticed upon stopping drinking (Mrs' blood pressure went WAY down).
I drink to your health TV&C... if I remember to drink.

Almost a year ago now, my bloodwork was dropping not so subtle hints to quit drinking. I negotiated a once a week agreement. It seems to be holding.
I’m just shocked how productive I am now. It’s like I want to accomplish something everyday, save for Saturdays, obviously. Man, if I had known this 45 years ago, I can only imagine what great things I might have accomplished.

Well that's odd. I have the opposite problem. I forgot to drink alcohol for almost 2 years.
Some months ago (May, iirc), I finally remembered to go by the liquor store. Picked up a bottle of brandy, a bottle of brandy and a bottle of sparkling wine. Mrs Elixir had quit drinking altogether several years prior, and due to my inability to remember to drink, those bottles are still on the shelf, two of them unopened. The brandy is down almost halfway to empty, because in the last few weeks I have remembered (at least 4 days a week) to take a shot before bed.
It's amazing how much better I sleep, wake up early and ready to go... EXACTLY the same things Mrs Elixir and TV&C noticed upon stopping drinking (Mrs' blood pressure went WAY down).

When I was on pat leave during Spring of last year I snuck a few drams of Scotch. I continued for a few months after my leave but eventually realized that even one drink slowed me down, and my wife was forced to pick up the slack.

After that I couldn't drink in good conscience anymore. So what had already been a minimal habit for a few years disappeared completely. This year my wife and I had a bottle of wine for mother's day, wanted to die for a few days, and that's been about it.

When I was on pat leave during Spring of last year I snuck a few drams of Scotch. I continued for a few months after my leave but eventually realized that even one drink slowed me down, and my wife was forced to pick up the slack.

After that I couldn't drink in good conscience anymore. So what had already been a minimal habit for a few years disappeared completely. This year my wife and I had a bottle of wine for mother's day, wanted to die for a few days, and that's been about it.

That's hilarious!
Alcohol is some strange stuff... there is no doubt that the toxicology maxim applies in spades "the dose makes the poison".
Effective use (for my purposes) means ½ to 1oz of brandy, taken right before bed and after my evening hydration ritual water and/or herbal tea. Deviation from that formula is fraught with peril - took a double shot one night and didn't sleep well and woke up foggy. Same result if not sufficiently hydrated. Hopefully never revisiting that "wanted to die" territory again!

That's hilarious!
Alcohol is some strange stuff... there is no doubt that the toxicology maxim applies in spades "the dose makes the poison".
Effective use (for my purposes) means ½ to 1oz of brandy, taken right before bed and after my evening hydration ritual water and/or herbal tea. Deviation from that formula is fraught with peril - took a double shot one night and didn't sleep well and woke up foggy. Same result if not sufficiently hydrated. Hopefully never revisiting that "wanted to die" territory again!

Yea, my limit is likely a half ounce now too, but that little Scotch is just a tease.

Unfortunately, I don't even get any type of inebriation benefit from alcohol anymore, I drink it and immediately feel worse. I'm still holding out for a well-crafted, alcohol-free Oatmeal Stout, but it could be a long wait.

Yea, my limit is likely a half ounce now too, but that little Scotch is just a tease.

That's one reason I use (relatively) cheap brandy. One big swallow and done, with no desire to re-visit it.
Single-malt highland scotch is too delicious - I'd keep sipping on it once started.

For anyone else in the 95% of the world who has no clue what quantity of booze is being discussed:

View attachment 36396
The funny thing is, the desperate clinging to the English system of measurement is only for length and mass. Mass/weight, we have the pound and ton, use that quite a bit. Of course, not useful for weighing small things.

A: Hey you... how many ounces does this weigh?
B: I dunno what an ounce is.

Length/Area have several things are used to all around.

When it comes to volumes, milk (gallon) and cooking (cup/teaspoon/tablespoon) are the only basis for American use of the English System. I bet 99% of America wouldn't be able to determine how much fluid an ounce is (yeah, we have a unit for both volume and mass!). I know I can't. Too bad we can't abandon English for at least volumes.

For anyone else in the 95% of the world who has no clue what quantity of booze is being discussed:

View attachment 36396
The funny thing is, the desperate clinging to the English system of measurement is only for length and mass. Mass/weight, we have the pound and ton, use that quite a bit. Of course, not useful for weighing small things.

A: Hey you... how many ounces does this weigh?
B: I dunno what an ounce is.

Length/Area have several things are used to all around.

When it comes to volumes, milk (gallon) and cooking (cup/teaspoon/tablespoon) are the only basis for American use of the English System. I bet 99% of America wouldn't be able to determine how much fluid an ounce is (yeah, we have a unit for both volume and mass!). I know I can't. Too bad we can't abandon English for at least volumes.
You do know that the English have never used the system you call 'the English system', right?

I mean, they used to use a system that was very similar to it, but not only have they now largely replaced that system, their old system used at home was significantly and deliberately different from that used in their colonies.

For example, in England, "A pint of water weighs a pound and a quarter", as we were taught to recite in school.

"A pint's a pound" is true in the former British colonies of the Americas, but "the whole world 'round" was always a barefaced lie, sold to you by people who wanted to boost their excise duties by 20%.

Today I learned that Australia has a Minister of Sport. Apparently, so does England?

I don’t know what to think about that. It never occurred to me that sports rose to that level of importance. I honestly find it…flaberghasting.

Today I learned that Australia has a Minister of Sport. Apparently, so does England?

I don’t know what to think about that. It never occurred to me that sports rose to that level of importance. I honestly find it…flaberghasting.
Are you kidding? Minister for Sport is like the second most senior cabinet position. Prime Minister, then the Ministers for Sport, Treasury, Foreign Affairs and Trade, Defence...

Are you kidding? Minister for Sport is like the second most senior cabinet position. Prime Minister, then the Ministers for Sport, Treasury, Foreign Affairs and Trade, Defence...
..Silly Walks

So, if the PM gets hit in the face by a soccer ball (excuse me: a football) and dies, does the Minister of Sport take over until there is a new election? Or is that the Silly Walks guy?

Last edited:
President Biden Secretary of Sport nominee refused to answer questions regarding the tuck ruling earlier today during their confirmation hearing. GOP Senators vocalized dismay that the nominee kept pushing aside the questions on the tuck ruling. "America feels very strongly about the tuck rule in 2001," noted Kentucky Senator Rand Paul. "And they deserve to know how this nominee felt about the ruling."

So, if the PM gets hit in the face by a soccer ball (excuse me: a football) and dies, does the Minister of Sport take over until there is a new election? Or is that the Silly Walks guy?
The PM is just a figurehead. The Minister for Sport basically runs the country.

Silly Walks is a roaming portfolio that is assigned to whichever ministry Barnaby Joyce heads at any given time.

Nitpicking:

(1) America is a polity WITHIN North America. The larger region bilby refers to is called The Americas, Western Hemisphere, or The New World.

Do other Americans agree that "North America" seems larger and more grandiose than "the U.S." or "America"? I competed in a bridge tournament long ago where another contender was the Zonal representative at the World Championships. A team can call itself anything it wants, and this one was "North America." To my ear that was more grandiose than "USA" would have been. ("America" would have sounded silly.)

(2) For those confused what a fluid ounce is, just remember that a fluid ounce of water weighs ... one avoirdupois ounce! (I think it's 1.0000 exactly in Imperial units, and slightly off in America.) The conversion from ounces (also called "lids") to kilograms was easy for many boys my age in the late 1960's: There are 35 lids in a key.

"A pint's a pound" is true in the former British colonies of the Americas, but "the whole world 'round" was always a barefaced lie, sold to you by people who wanted to boost their excise duties by 20%.
My computer technician buddy used to say "Green is ground the world around." I guess that rhyme gets re-used a lot.

Back
Top Bottom