• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Warren Ends Campaign

I'm amazed at the irony in this primary.

In the Democratic primary, Democrats have rejected everyone that embodies the traits they claim to care about and embraced those they claim to hate. All 'people of color', gay, and female (well Tulsi is still hanging on but has no support) have had to drop out. Left standing is two old hetrosexual white men that are multi-millionaires.

I think the racism against Nina Turner should count.

So, someone telling her she “doesn’t have standing” to invoke MLK is worse than death threats???

Did you forget you said Biden’s people are doing things that are worse than what Sanders’ people have done?

I wrote Biden supporters RIGHT NOW are. Some are engaging in racism and extreme rudeness. You asked for a link. I gave you one to a bullying post. He posted about bernie supporters being dirtbags. Also available at the link are tons of attacks on Nina Turner, talking about her moving her head in anger, constant lying and anti-bernie propaganda. Anti-Bernies have been making comparisons to Trump and Hitler, too. And the Holocaust. Not to mention the anti-Semitic trope of a cranky, complaining Jew. There is no substance and when there is, it's lies often.

In the Democratic primary, Democrats have rejected everyone that embodies the traits they claim to care about and embraced those they claim to hate. All 'people of color', gay, and female (well Tulsi is still hanging on but has no support) have had to drop out. Left standing is two old hetrosexual white men that are multi-millionaires.

There’s no irony here. It sounds like your perception of what a Democrat is is wrong. That perhaps you’re conflating Democrats and left leaning media? I’m not sure.
People voted. Democrats voted. This is what we are left with. In the time of Trump, this is who we are. Look at the reality of it. No one needs the media to tell them what happened here.
Now, were a middle of the road Joe Biden type in office right now and on his second term, perhaps Democrats would embrace someone more symbolic of the diversity of the party. I say symbolic because if all you are looking for is to check a box, that can be done. Hell, maybe we can even check two boxes at once. Wouldn’t that be something? Not really.
I am a strong Pete Buttigieg supporter. I believe he could empathize with the LGTBQ community and be more representative of a younger generation who will own this planet but foremost, I thought he was the the smartest person running with a natural inclination toward politics. Not enough people agreed with me.

We are in a state of emergency with the possible reelection of Donald Trump. We need to be able to stand down from this emergency first. I think that is what most Democrats are looking at. We’ll just have to wait and find out, won’t we?

If your political choices are affected by the tone of a candidate's supporters on Twitter by even a fraction of a percent, you should be deprived of the ability to vote. It takes a tremendous degree of privilege and comfort to reduce the stakes of our present moment to civility policing and aesthetics.

If your political choices are affected by the tone of a candidate's supporters on Twitter by even a fraction of a percent, you should be deprived of the ability to vote. It takes a tremendous degree of privilege and comfort to reduce the stakes of our present moment to civility policing and aesthetics.
The tone and actions of a candidate's supporters are indicators of the tone and action in the country if that candidate is victorious. Trump and his supporters are a perfect example.

The notion that anyone should lose the right to vote based on how they base their preferences is anti-democratic.

The tone and actions of a candidate's supporters are indicators of the tone and action in the country if that candidate is victorious. Trump and his supporters are a perfect example.
This proves my point, honestly. The average centrist Democrat thinks that the main problem with Trump is his attitude, tone, demeanor, and the fact that he is a registered Republican. If he had run as a Democrat and had polite supporters who know how to coddle comfortable white folks (i.e. if he had been Michael Bloomberg) then the whole "resistance" movement would never have materialized in the first place. They are affluent, sheltered people with no pressing concerns and whose main priority is making sure their social network isn't polluted by the upstart peasants.

If potential voters might react that why, why would a Sanders supporter then still go out of their way to so needlessly alienate them? For what purpose other than assholes getting their jollies? They should be asking the assholes, "so you're going to take away healthcare for the sake of a shitpost?"

If potential voters might react that why, why would a Sanders supporter then still go out of their way to so needlessly alienate them? For what purpose other than assholes getting their jollies? They should be asking the assholes, "so you're going to take away healthcare for the sake of a shitpost?"

Did you mean Biden supporter?

First, they do. A lot. Second, Bernie supporters are not uniquely toxic online.

The data on 600K tweets shows little difference in the sentiment among tweets of supporters of different candidates.

It's not that there's something specifically different about Bernie's supporters, except that there are more of them online.

Did you mean Biden supporter?

It goes for anybody's, but really Sanders's are the worst. It might not have mattered if they were going to win easy all along, but they never were.

This proves my point, honestly. The average centrist Democrat thinks that the main problem with Trump is his attitude, tone, demeanor, and the fact that he is a registered Republican. If he had run as a Democrat and had polite supporters who know how to coddle comfortable white folks (i.e. if he had been Michael Bloomberg) then the whole "resistance" movement would never have materialized in the first place.
We strongly disagree.
They are affluent, sheltered people with no pressing concerns and whose main priority is making sure their social network isn't polluted by the upstart peasants.
I think this shows how completely how out of touch you truly are.

There’s no irony here. It sounds like your perception of what a Democrat is is wrong.
I would say that your irony meter must be broken. That is unless almost every talking point of this years presidential candidates has nothing to do with "what a Democrat is". All have ranted about the need to have more minorities, women, and LGBTQ in power and yet all of those had to drop out because of no support. The remaining woman, Tulsi, has no real support even though she would likely be able to give Trump more trouble in the debates and election than either of the remaining two old hetrosexual multi-millionaire white men. These two men each have five identity politics strikes against them and no identity politics plusses.

There’s no irony here. It sounds like your perception of what a Democrat is is wrong.
I would say that your irony meter must be broken. That is unless almost every talking point of this years presidential candidates has nothing to do with "what a Democrat is". All have ranted about the need to have more minorities, women, and LGBTQ in power and yet all of those had to drop out because of no support. The remaining woman, Tulsi, has no real support even though she would likely be able to give Trump more trouble in the debates and election than either of the remaining two old hetrosexual multi-millionaire white men. These two men each have five identity politics strikes against them and no identity politics plusses.

Why does nobody remember that Bernie is a Jew

"In power" doesn't mean "holder of one particular office". Why should Sanders and Biden step aside because they have "identity politics strikes" (WTF?), when a significant majority of people want one of them to hold that particular office? Should every older white male heterosexual switch parties because they have "identity politics strikes" and shouldn't be allowed to run as a Democrat? Should an older rich white male gay candidate not run because he has four "identity politics strikes" against him? Should we just fracture the party into groups based on which "identity politics plusses" you have? Or should we just find a young, poor, femaie, LGTBQ minority and make her the nominee?

I expect a Democratic president to appoint, and possibly select as a running mate, people from ALL of those groups, i.e. to place them in positions of power. I also hope and expect one or more of those individuals to gain experience, recognition, and trust, and later to run for the Presidency, and win.

From Salon, one last time to put the topic to rest:

There is hard data that shows "Bernie Bros" are a myth
A computational social scientist's study shows Bernie's Twitter followers act pretty much the same as everyone else

The issue is people like the Bernie Bros who disrupted a Biden campaign rally last night in Michigan. The Bernie Bros who chanted "Lock her up" and shouted down a congressman at the 2016 Democratic Convention. The Bernie Bros who made death threats against the Nevada Democratic Party chairperson because they're sure their candidate is somehow getting screwed. The Bernie Bros who attacked Nevada union leaders because they didn't agree with everything in Sanders' platform.

"Biden's supporters are just as bad" is utter bullshit, and is right out of the MAGA playbook.

From Salon, one last time to put the topic to rest:

There is hard data that shows "Bernie Bros" are a myth
A computational social scientist's study shows Bernie's Twitter followers act pretty much the same as everyone else

The issue is people like the Bernie Bros who disrupted a Biden campaign rally last night in Michigan. The Bernie Bros who chanted "Lock her up" and shouted down a congressman at the 2016 Democratic Convention. The Bernie Bros who made death threats against the Nevada Democratic Party chairperson because they're sure their candidate is somehow getting screwed. The Bernie Bros who attacked Nevada union leaders because they didn't agree with everything in Sanders' platform.

"Biden's supporters are just as bad" is utter bullshit, and is right out of the MAGA playbook.

Nice anecdotes, and convenient how you don't have to show the supporters of other candidates are any different!

And half of those are perfectly legitimate acts of political expression. Biden's campaign rallies should be disrupted, and people who represent unions, but don't back the candidate whose policies helps unions the most, should be attacked for it. If Biden and the unions are sure they are right, they can just argue back and defend their case for being President or supporting someone else.

Why does nobody remember that Bernie is a Jew
OK then, so Bernie has six identity politics strikes against him. Now if he was a Muslim then he would have a plus. You are aware aren't you that in identity politics Jews are the bad guys that are oppressing the Palestinians?

Back
Top Bottom