• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

We come from Archaea

SLD

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Freethinker
Clearly science has no idea what it is talking about since it keeps changing its theories.

Clearly science has no idea what it is talking about since it keeps changing its theories.

I used to think I could light my farts on fire due to bacteria living in my intestines, and now I know it is  archaea.

I'm a fan. If I was around you'd want a fan. Or you'd want me to leave. Well, ok, you'd want me to leave.

Methanogen

Wow. My room smells like hot dogs. This is bad. I wish I would leave.

Interesting new find, a DNA sequence apparently finds a missing link between prokaryotes and eukaryotes. Apparently our ancestors were actually Archaea, and not Bacteria.

Actually, as it states in the article, that idea is at least a few decades old:

But Embley says this new analysis shows that complex life actually emerged from within the archaea. This is the so-called "eocyte hypothesis," proposed by Jim Lake of the University of California, Los Angeles in 1984.

This is just pretty convincing evidence that this is actually the case. All modern phylogenetic trees "of life" have Eukaryota as a branch of Archaea (e.g. those produced by comparing rRNA genes).

Ah ha! Science was wrong about which single-celled organism is our granparents, therefore it is proven that creationism is true! [/christian]

If we evolved from Archaea, how come there are still Archaea?

attachment.php

Best creationist argument ever! You can use it all the time! How come there are still monkeys? How come there are still single called organisms? It leaves evolutionists usually speechless.

SLD

Best creationist argument ever! You can use it all the time! How come there are still monkeys? How come there are still single called organisms? It leaves evolutionists usually speechless.

SLD

You're all crazy. We evolved from watches.

witch-watch.jpg

Attachments

• Witch-Halloween-Watch-gold.jpg
    Witch-Halloween-Watch-gold.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 3
Actually, as it states in the article, that idea is at least a few decades old:

But Embley says this new analysis shows that complex life actually emerged from within the archaea. This is the so-called "eocyte hypothesis," proposed by Jim Lake of the University of California, Los Angeles in 1984.

This is just pretty convincing evidence that this is actually the case. All modern phylogenetic trees "of life" have Eukaryota as a branch of Archaea (e.g. those produced by comparing rRNA genes).

I did read that, but had never really heard the argument previously. I was under the misapprehension that Archaea were only discovered simultaneously with deep sea vents, but that's not the case at all. I thought they were given the name Archaea because they were initially thought to be precursors to modern bacteria even. For quite a while many people thought that the hydrothermal vents were likely where life originated.

Now I realize how naive and simplistic that view is. We knew about archaea before discovering hydrothermal vents, but later realized they were not older than bacteria.

I've seen trees of life indicating that we both branched off of bacteria, but didn't realize how we really branched off of Archaea itself.

image.jpg

This is the typical tree of life diagram I've seen. Obviously it's more complicated. How much easier it is to say goddidit, and just forget about it.

SLD

Yes, the exact "rooting" of microbial phyla is still unclear. Notice that in the tree you posted, the relationship is left ambiguous - the tree is unrooted. Check out this tree:
1200px-Phylogenetic_tree.svg.png
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phylogenetic_tree

If you check out the link, you'll see that it is described as "speculative." The exact relationship between microbial phyla is pretty contentious at the moment, which makes sense since the gene-sequencing tools necessary for any proper treatment of the subject weren't really developed and widely available until at least the late 70's.

Here's another snippet that illustrates the current state of the controversy:
The relationship between the three domains is of central importance for understanding the origin of life. Most of the metabolic pathways, which comprise the majority of an organism's genes, are common between Archaea and Bacteria, while most genes involved in genome expression are common between Archaea and Eukarya.[51] Within prokaryotes, archaeal cell structure is most similar to that of gram-positive bacteria, largely because both have a single lipid bilayer[52] and usually contain a thick sacculus of varying chemical composition.[53] In some phylogenetic trees based upon different gene/protein sequences of prokaryotic homologs, the archaeal homologs are more closely related to those of gram-positive bacteria.[52] Archaea and gram-positive bacteria also share conserved indels in a number of important proteins, such as Hsp70 and glutamine synthetase I;[52][54] however, the phylogeny of these genes was interpreted to reveal interdomain gene transfer,[55][56] and might not reflect the organismal relationships.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archaea#Relationship_to_other_prokaryotes

The reality is that a "tree" is probably not an appropriate structure to describe the relationship between all of life on Earth. The history of life, especially this scale, includes a lot of horizontal gene transfer and endosymbiosis.

Yes, the exact "rooting" of microbial phyla is still unclear. Notice that in the tree you posted, the relationship is left ambiguous - the tree is unrooted. Check out this tree:
View attachment 2955
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phylogenetic_tree

If you check out the link, you'll see that it is described as "speculative." The exact relationship between microbial phyla is pretty contentious at the moment, which makes sense since the gene-sequencing tools necessary for any proper treatment of the subject weren't really developed and widely available until at least the late 70's.

Here's another snippet that illustrates the current state of the controversy:
The relationship between the three domains is of central importance for understanding the origin of life. Most of the metabolic pathways, which comprise the majority of an organism's genes, are common between Archaea and Bacteria, while most genes involved in genome expression are common between Archaea and Eukarya.[51] Within prokaryotes, archaeal cell structure is most similar to that of gram-positive bacteria, largely because both have a single lipid bilayer[52] and usually contain a thick sacculus of varying chemical composition.[53] In some phylogenetic trees based upon different gene/protein sequences of prokaryotic homologs, the archaeal homologs are more closely related to those of gram-positive bacteria.[52] Archaea and gram-positive bacteria also share conserved indels in a number of important proteins, such as Hsp70 and glutamine synthetase I;[52][54] however, the phylogeny of these genes was interpreted to reveal interdomain gene transfer,[55][56] and might not reflect the organismal relationships.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archaea#Relationship_to_other_prokaryotes

The reality is that a "tree" is probably not an appropriate structure to describe the relationship between all of life on Earth. The history of life, especially this scale, includes a lot of horizontal gene transfer and endosymbiosis.

The farther back we go becomes too murky due to significant genetic cross over, phgocytosis, mergers, etc.

image.jpg

If this is a better view of the tree, how could we ever figure out the real roots.

SLD

Back
Top Bottom