• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

What Are You Eating Today?

Roast pork again today. Was going to make it yesterday, but plans went astray and I needed to cook the salmon yesterday instead.

In the meantime, I used up some very ripe bananas. :)

View attachment 31684

A bit dry, I think, because I cooked them for 21-22 minutes and not 20. I forgot to set a timer for a minute or so. :)

You're just a regular Martha Stewart!

Yeah, those look really good!

Salmon is on the menu again, put some frozen fillets in the fridge for tomorrow. Sometimes she makes them in the oven and sometimes in a covered Scanpan. Both ways are excellent although I prefer oven-done because it comes out just a bit more moist. I've even made them in the microwave without even thawing first. But it's winter here and a little more oven heat is welcome.

We've been eating lots of baked apples, a healthy, inexpensive treat. I fill a deep corelle casserole dish with unpeeled, cored chunks, add whatever frozen berries are around, sprinkle with a bit of brown sugar, cinnamon, two cups of liquid and bake 400 till soft. It's like pie without the crust.

Yeah, those look really good!

Salmon is on the menu again, put some frozen fillets in the fridge for tomorrow. Sometimes she makes them in the oven and sometimes in a covered Scanpan. Both ways are excellent although I prefer oven-done because it comes out just a bit more moist. I've even made them in the microwave without even thawing first. But it's winter here and a little more oven heat is welcome.

We've been eating lots of baked apples, a healthy, inexpensive treat. I fill a deep corelle casserole dish with unpeeled, cored chunks, add whatever frozen berries are around, sprinkle with a bit of brown sugar, cinnamon, two cups of liquid and bake 400 till soft. It's like pie without the crust.

I have found the best way to do salmon is in a Pyrex dish that I have sprayed with a light coating of oil, drizzle a tiny amount of extra virgin olive oil, a drizzle of lemon juice, some salt and pepper and bake to desired doneness. Have t had a dry one yet.

I like my salmon broiled with a brushed coating of olive oil and lemon juice. I d have t watch it because I want them juicy inside, so I need to stay on top of it. Sometimes I sprnkle dill on top.

Tonight we are going greek. I have a bottle of greek marinade with is soaking into chicken thighs for hubby and mycoprotein filets for me. Will b served with roasted brussels sprouts, and a side of chickpea orzo mixed with sliced olives and feta.

Rhea
When you roast brussel sprouts, do you just roast them plain? To my taste buds, brussel sprouts are just bitter.

Getting into the mood for an approaching snow storm that's due to hit the northeast tomorrow, so I made some of my fish stew. It's been awhile so I've made some alterations. Didn't feel like potatoes and so tried adding a can of cannellini beans. Also a left over half poblano pepper along with the usual red bell pepper. Also a tsp. of Chimayo chili powder for a hint of smokiness.

Not bad at all! I've found a use for poblanos. I think they added some sweetness without the over-bearing fruitiness of the red bell peppers. Maybe even better with the beans. They added some creaminess. Probably less like a bouillabaisse from Marseille and more like a Tuscan ribollita. I only had some frozen swai for the fish component, but next week frozen 16-20 per pound shrimp is on sale at $5 per pound. So it's all falling into place. And there's enough left over for lunch tomorrow!

Rhea
When you roast brussel sprouts, do you just roast them plain? To my taste buds, brussel sprouts are just bitter.

I slice them in half, add a thinly sliced onion, toss all with olive oil and coarse salt. This time the olive oli include a bit that was infused with lime.
Spred them out cut-side-down on a tray and raost at high temp until just turning brown.

Cooking them until they reach carmelized state sweetens them tremendously.

But, I like brussels even still al dente, so mabe what’s yummy to me would still be bitter to you.

I'm having avocado on sprouted multigrain toast for breakfast. You'd think I was flippin GenX urbanite instead of a rural Boomer with a pile of scrap metal in my yard.

I'm having a bowl of navy beans with just butter, salt, and pepper, and a tomato avocado sandwich. Got a pot of chicken and rice soup simmering downstairs for later and made enough for several days of leftovers.

I'm having avocado on sprouted multigrain toast for breakfast. You'd think I was flippin GenX urbanite instead of a rural Boomer with a pile of scrap metal in my yard.

That IS cute.

Tossed some bread together, should be ready for the superbowl, maybe dip some olive oil. Do have two ripe avocados in the fridge!

Also cooked up a box of Barilla last night which should last for a couple days.

Haven't had a good burger in a while and have never tried that expensive grass fed beef. That's gonna happen here soon.

Went down to the local Italian bakery yesterday and brought home two of their meatball subs. That stuff is deliciously addictive but it makes me realize I need to get some veggies to go along. Thinking carrots, peas, celery later today with a sprinkle of feta.

Last night made a yummy Moroccan-style Tagine, but with many substitutions. It was good. Basic ingredients (including my substitutions - it was supposed to be chickpeas and green beans, but I didn’t feel like chickpeas and I didn’t have any green beans.)

- Great Northern beans
- Red kidney beans
- Kale
- Peas
- Carrots
- cumin, paprika, ginger, garlic, cinnamon
- diced tomatoes
- veggie base
- Cabernet Sauvigon Wine Flour
- minced apricots
- Lemon juice
- olives
- greek yogurt and parsley on top

About that “Wine Flour,” by the way...

This describes it
https://www.myrecipes.com/how-to/wine-flour-how-to

You can’t, as you can with some other “flours,” swap it out for flour in recipes completely. It won’t function the same way grain-based flours will. But any recipe that contains flour can have some of this added for flavor, which is where things get exciting. Think about making homemade pasta that is destined to get a ragu made with red wine. Add some wine flour into your pasta dough for a beautiful color and a backnote of that flavor in your noodles themselves! Making homemade bread to serve with cheese and charcuterie? Some wine flour in the dough will again give you a really cool color and flavor.

What about sweets, you ask? It is here for that as well. Think red velvet cake amped up with a bit of red wine flavor, or shortbread cookies with a little wine flavor in them. What about a red wine crust under your next cheesecake, or a red wine buttercream on a chocolate cupcake for a grown-up take on a children’s classic. Even your next pie crust or crumble topping can get a terrific boost, just think about the fruit flavors you often hear associated with red wine… cherries, blackberries, plums, a pie with any of these fruits would absolutely be pals with a wine flour crust or crumble topping.

Savory recipes can also get a great boost, whether you are adding it into your next spice rub for a steak you are grilling or stirring a spoonful into a beautiful sauce or gravy. And you can mix it one teaspoon into one tablespoon of salt or sugar to make wine salt or wine sugar to sprinkle on things for garnish.

And you can buy it from this small business owner (I don’t know these people, only that they were really friendly to do business with!)
http://www.flxgrapeflour.com/products222.html

They have reislings, cabernets, pinot, merlot.... all kinds of flavors and colors.

I love scrambled eggs but I also love runny yolks, so I devised a new egg recipe where I can have both.

First I separated three eggs. One yolk broke, so I added it to the whites. I then added some half and half and some shredded cheese into the whites and whipped them into a frenzy. Buttered a medium heated skillet and poured in the cheesy whites. When almost done cooking, I formed a couple of dips in the eggs and gently dropped the yolks into the dips. Removed from heat, covered, and let sit for about five minutes. I used this time to make toast.

Only one yolk is showing because the other one broke just as I moved the eggs to the plate.

scrambled_egg_vari.jpg

About that “Wine Flour,” by the way...

This describes it
https://www.myrecipes.com/how-to/wine-flour-how-to

OOOOOOOH, new thing, sounds wonderful!

I finally used some of my last batch of Garam Masala with a curry on Sunday. One issue I've had with it is trying to get the proportion of spice right for the amount of curry I was making. I found that I was adding too much when I was making a single meal, and too little when I was making a large batch. Finally I decided to replicate the process of my chili recipe almost exactly, but swap out a few ingredients and the spices. Rather than a quarter cup of chili powder, I used a quarter cup of Masala, and I used stewing beef over ground beef.

This approach worked like a charm, it's about the most balanced I've been able to get a curry since starting to make my own Masala.

I love scrambled eggs but I also love runny yolks, so I devised a new egg recipe where I can have both.

First I separated three eggs. One yolk broke, so I added it to the whites. I then added some half and half and some shredded cheese into the whites and whipped them into a frenzy. Buttered a medium heated skillet and poured in the cheesy whites. When almost done cooking, I formed a couple of dips in the eggs and gently dropped the yolks into the dips. Removed from heat, covered, and let sit for about five minutes. I used this time to make toast.

Only one yolk is showing because the other one broke just as I moved the eggs to the plate.

View attachment 31812

Interesting. I might have to try that.

Autumn Harvest cookies. Oatmeal, cranberries, walnuts. If I wasn't the guy making them, I would have thought they were healthy. I would halve the pumpkin spice next time. I love pumpkin but this was quite strong. It might be a matter of freshness too. I'm not familiar enough with spices but I had noticed a striking difference in the past with two different sources of chili powder. Pretty good and a good reason to use up the rolled oats that would have otherwise sat in the cupboard for quite some time.

Nothing too terribly complicated. With the new "working from home" job I'm able to get back on a regular schedule of meals (after working nights for 9 months) and since I'm not busting my ass physically I need to cut back on the calories.

Breakfast is a bowl of oatmeal.

Lunch has been a chicken/bacon/ranch wrap. I make the chicken myself without any salt, the bacon is turkey bacon, and the ranch dressing? Fun fact...the normal store brand ranch has less sodium and sugar than the "low fat" version. Wrap it up in a spinach flour tortilla and it's good to go. Dinner is usually some steamed fish with rice.

If you're looking for a calorie dense treat and don't mind using your coffee grinder give this one a shot:

2 cups rolled oats
1/2 cup walnuts
1/2 cup hemp kernels
1/2 cup coconut flakes
1/2 cup flax seed
1/2 cup almond meal
1/2 cup pepitas
3/4 cup honey
3/4 cup almond butter

Grind the dry ingredients and blend in a large bowl. In a separate bowl warm the honey and almond butter in the microwave so it will blend easily. Mix everything together and enjoy.

I suppose you could use peanut butter instead of almond butter. Grind the walnuts with some of the oats to keep things moving in the grinder, same with the hemp. I typically press mine into a flat tupperware and divide into 32 servings using the end of a metal spatula, but it's good just spooning some out. Yummerz!

Back
Top Bottom