• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

What Are You Eating Today?

Congrats on the weight loss, gmbteach!

Last night my husband made the perfect marinara sauce which we had over tortellini. It reminded me of growing up in New Jersey in a city that was mostly made up of those who had Italian ancestors.

There was an expression that I heard often from some of the boys in high school, but first let me get my Joisey accent ready. "There are two kinds of people in the world. Those who are Italian and those who wish they were Italian". Last night's sauce was as good as any I've ever tasted that was made by an Italian. So, I guess there are days when we are all Italian. :)

Will try making Chili Verde con Cerdo again tomorrow. Instead of just adding chunks of pork this time I want to try making it with pulled pork. So today I have 2 pounds of pork loin cut into 2 inch chunks slow cooking in a Dutch oven with salt, black pepper, and an entire bulb of crushed and peeled garlic cloves in a 225F oven for 8 hours. Never tried this before. Tomorrow I'll assemble the chili with roasted tomatillos and poblanos.

Tonight I'll be having sautéed frozen swai fillet with leeks and rice. I still have some Walmart frozen salmon but when I went to buy more the other day it had gone up from $4 to $5 per pound, which is just beyond my price range for protein. Oh well, it was good while it lasted. :shrug:

Nothing too outlandish tonight but I switched it up and pan-fried my frozen haddock rather than baking it. I seem to be getting a better sense of how to cook fish lately, it being a more delicate meat. I fried it with a cast-iron pan, but had the heat on medium-low, which seems to be the way to do it.

I also peeled/chopped some Roma tomatoes and fried them with the fish in the same pan, along with some pepper, garlic salt, and dried basil. The end result may have actually been the best fried fish I've done.

I've also been tempted to do the Italian Vegetable Minestrone soup again, and may do it this weekend (it's a long weekend in Canada). It really was a phenomenal soup and I highly recommend giving it a go: Marcella Hazan's Vegetable Minestrone.

Having comfort food today - Kraft mac and cheese. My new(ish) thing is stirring in spices. Today I sprinkled in an 11-pepper rub, and stirred it in with the green beans and vegan sausage. Amazed how delicious that was! Mmm mmm MMMMM!

I'm trying to talk my Valentine Lovely into a special meal of salmon with lobster, take out of course. So far she hasn't committed.

Blueberry waffles with fresh blueberries. They (individual berries) tend to blow up in the waffle maker, which makes clean-up last a little longer, but, oh my, them berries. Hint: always spray on a little aerosol canola between waffles, and you should be able to clean up later when the waffle maker cools down with just a dampened paper towel. (Where a berry has really exploded and left blue guts, use a plastic spoon to loosen it. Pretend you're on Investigation Discovery network, because it really resembles a tiny crime scene.)

Having comfort food today - Kraft mac and cheese. My new(ish) thing is stirring in spices. Today I sprinkled in an 11-pepper rub, and stirred it in with the green beans and vegan sausage. Amazed how delicious that was! Mmm mmm MMMMM!

I'm trying to imagine what I'd do if I bit into mac and cheese and got a bite of green bean. :mad:

I'm trying to imagine what I'd do if I bit into mac and cheese and got a bite of green bean. :mad:

LOL!!! Couple of years ago, my son had friends over and offered to make mac and cheese for everyone. He polled the group, “what vegetable do you want in the mac? We’ve got peas or beans.”
“Peas!” Shouts my daughter.

All the other kids... jaws dropped, no words, horrified stare.

Friend: “you want what, now?”
Son: “My mom won’t let me have mac and cheese unless there’s vegetables in it...”
Friend: “wow, I’m sorry, man.”
Other friend: “Holy shit, that’s hard core.”

I was right in the room...
I let them have their party with virgin mac and cheese.

Personally, I like it casserolized.

LOL!!! Couple of years ago, my son had friends over and offered to make mac and cheese for everyone. He polled the group, “what vegetable do you want in the mac? We’ve got peas or beans.”
“Peas!” Shouts my daughter.

All the other kids... jaws dropped, no words, horrified stare.

Friend: “you want what, now?”
Son: “My mom won’t let me have mac and cheese unless there’s vegetables in it...”
Friend: “wow, I’m sorry, man.”
Other friend: “Holy shit, that’s hard core.”

I was right in the room...
I let them have their party with virgin mac and cheese.

Personally, I like it casserolized.

:rofl: I actually do like peas in my mac n cheese, like tuna casserole but without the tuna, which I also like.

I like peas in my mac. The cat likes tuna in my mac. If I get the noodles out and start cooking, she comes and investigates, and if there are peas but no tuna, she raises unholy hell until I rectify the situation.

I'd love to have some of that mac and cheese with beans except I'm on a low cholesterol diet. But if I might suggest rather than beans try some jalapenos or some other kind of peppers and let me know how it goes.

I'd love to have some of that mac and cheese with beans except I'm on a low cholesterol diet. But if I might suggest rather than beans try some jalapenos or some other kind of peppers and let me know how it goes.
Jalapeno and bacon is nice. Substitute the butter with bacon fat. On a healthy day we'll do broccoli and tomato.

Tried a recipe from the Cook's Country tv series called Chicken in a Cast-Iron Pan. Worked out well. Uses bone-in, skin-on chicken. They took apart an entire chicken but I just used a half chicken breast and two thighs. You place a cast iron skillet in a 450F oven and proceed to make the rub (which I altered a bit):

• 1 tsp table salt
  • 2 tsp sweet paprika
  • 1 tsp ground black pepper
  • 1 tsp ginger powder
  • 1 garlic clove, finely diced and mashed with the side of a chef's knife
  • enough olive oil to make an easily spreadable paste

Pat the chicken pieces dry and rub in the paste on all sides.
Remove skillet from oven and add -

• 2 tbsp canola/olive oil (they used butter)
  • 1 tsp dried thyme (they used 6 sprigs of thyme)
  • All the chicken, skin-side down.

Bake at 450F for 15 minutes.
Flip the chicken over and bake another 15 minutes.

Turned out really well. Crispy skin, juicy meat, and easy. Next time I'll add some ancho chili powder to the rub. The ginger was hardly noticeable but probably necessary. They used onion powder which I didn't have on-hand. I'm loving cast iron cooking.

Follow-up. Next time I'll nestle some potato halves among the chicken parts. There was a surprising amount of chicken fat left on the bottom of the skillet and it's a shame to let it go to waste. Maybe some onions or green peppers too. Only thing is I'm gonna need a bigger skillet.

Oh, I've done mac n cheese with green beans before. Usually the french cut ones. It's quite good.

I have some potatoes, sweet potatoes and carrots in the fridge, and some zucchini and cherry tomatoes, so we are having baked veg.

I have park cooked the root veg already, and will put them in a large dish to bake/roast. In another dish I will zucchini and tomatoes. Both dishes will be drizzled with oil and seasoning. There is going to be heaps, and the left overs will become my lunch for Monday to Wednesday. It also means that, apart from some. Ore carrots, I will have used all the veg in the house. :) and its shopping day tomorrow. Sorry compost bin, very little scrap for you! :)

Just made some African Chicken Peanut Stew. It's got about ten minutes of simmering to do and it's done. I ate about a half a bowl already from "tasting" as I was cooking. hehe

I followed the recipe except for (there's always "except for" with me and recipes :D):

I used pre cooked chicken instead of raw parts. Saved me an hour of cook time or more. (I'm a total snowflake in dealing with raw meat especially with bones. Well, not a total snowflake... I'll deal with raw meat when I have to and not die or anything. But given the preference, I'll take pre cooked or at the very least raw boneless breasts.) Also didn't have cayenne pepper and I hate cilantro, so I just used my usual Mrs. Dash, a bit of coriander, and s&p.

chicken_peanut_soup.png

Lunch today was a microwaved potato with beans, salsa and guacamole.

Back
Top Bottom