• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

What Are You Eating Today?

I love Japanese food. I've been there over 30 times. Trouble is I really don't know what it's called in either Japanese or English so I don't know what to buy when I'm home. There is a sweetish salad dressing that's pink color. It tastes a little like 1000 Island but nowhere near as strong. It's great on chilled noodles mixed in with corn and chicken or pork. Cold.

I love Japanese food. I've been there over 30 times. Trouble is I really don't know what it's called in either Japanese or English so I don't know what to buy when I'm home. There is a sweetish salad dressing that's pink color. It tastes a little like 1000 Island but nowhere near as strong. It's great on chilled noodles mixed in with corn and chicken or pork. Cold.

Japanese-Style (Kewpie) Mayo Recipe

20131003-268452-kewpie-mayo.jpg

1. In a small bowl, whisk together rice vinegar, malt vinegar, salt, MSG, mustard powder, hon-dashi powder, and garlic powder until hon-dashi is completely dissolved.
  2. Place vinegar mixture in the workbowl of a food processor fitted with a steel blade along with the egg yolks. Pulse to combine.
  3. With the motor running, slowly drizzle in vegetable oil in a thin, steady stream. Transfer mayonnaise to an airtight container and store in refrigerator for up to two weeks.

Hon Dashi (original flavour) is made primarily from Skipjack Tuna (also known as Bonito) that is dried into blocks and used like Parmesan Cheese. Anyone can make a beautiful clear fish stock by simply adding Hon-Dashi granules to hot water. In addition to having a salty taste as one would expect from stock, Hon Dashi boasts a slightly sweet and uniquely smoky undertone. You can practically use it in any recipe which calls for stock since Hon Dashi stock isn’t fishy. In fact it doesn’t even taste of fish

English muffin with homemade Maple Cream

Last night was maple lemon bars made by daughter. Mmmm! A coffee-cake like confection she made for her hospice co-workers but asked us to try first.

I am finishing up my burnt chicken leftovers and mashed potato leftovers and frozen corn.

Tomorrow I'll finish my pork chop leftovers. A couple of says ago I made my pork chop "specialty". Pork chops fried in a fry pan with tomato sauce and cheese melted on top with mushrooms on top of the mix.

By day after tomorrow I'll need to make something else that will provide several days of leftovers.

Bought this really good tangerine marshmallow salad that had some pineapple and coconut in it. Very good because they didn’t add any sugar to it. Also the consistency of the creamy part reminded me of something I hadn’t had since childhood and had forgotten about: fluff. My mom used to make it. I think it was just Cool Whip and Jello whipped into a frenzy. Good stuff fluff.

Chicken breast w/paprika & garlic rub + red potatoes with rosemary & red bell peppers in a cast iron skillet in the oven at 450F, along with a side of steamed asparagus and okra. Wine choice was Chardonnay. The asparagus was on sale so I bought 8 pounds and froze most of it. Cut off the tips to use as side dish. Made a puree of the tough ends that I used to make a broth. Will use that plus the mid-sections for asparagus-cannellini bean-shrimp soup.

Chicken Breast , Red Potatoes, Asparagus. Red Bell Peppers.jpg

Bought this really good tangerine marshmallow salad that had some pineapple and coconut in it. Very good because they didn’t add any sugar to it. Also the consistency of the creamy part reminded me of something I hadn’t had since childhood and had forgotten about: fluff. My mom used to make it. I think it was just Cool Whip and Jello whipped into a frenzy. Good stuff fluff.

I think that was called Ambrosia Salad. I haven't had it since I was kid.

Local market has excellent tiny redskin potatoes, so I've been cooking them with maybe 2 C. water, dash of olive oil, good shake of garlic powder & parsley, a little salt. After 25 minute I toss in 8 or 10 baby carrots. At 45 min., all done. Serve with enough of the cooking water to flavor the potatoes once they're cut open.

I am out of leftovers so I'm planning to make another batch of BBQd chicken legs with creamy Italian dressing - well burnt.

Artisan raman in miso with scallions and topfu, followed by Maple butter cake made by daughter.

Winter is making a comeback tonight so I made some fish stew with swai, shrimp, asparagus, and savoy cabbage. I have a ton of asparagus in the freezer so tried it on focaccia along with kalamata olives and it worked OK. Tomatoes would have been better.

Fish Stew & Foccacia with asparagus and Kalamata Olives.jpg

I've been thinking about my maternal grandmother (1902-1999) recently, and I've decided to post a few of her best recipes. I'm starting with her Orange Bread. This is good hot out of the oven, but it's equally good cold from the fridge. Spread on a little butter or oleo and you'll have trouble keeping down to one slice. I don't know where she found this recipe, but, even though it takes a good while to produce one little loaf, it's a keeper.

Grandma's Orange Bread
Peel 3 oranges; save peel. Chop peel fine. (Each chunk of peel should be about the size of a Cheerio.)
Boil chopped peel in salted water until tender (about 10 minutes.) Drain water, add 1 and 1/2 C. sugar and 1 T. water. Cook slowly over low heat, stirring occasionally. Sugar will turn into a syrup; cook 'til clear, then set aside to cool. (I speed up the cooling by letting it pour into a pie tin.)
Next, the batter: 3/4 C. sugar, 1 T melted butter or oleo, 2 well-beaten eggs, 1 C. milk, 3 and 1/2 C. flour, 3 t. baking powder. Combine these in the order given, stir til well-mixed. Add peel mixture and stir again. Put in greased loaf pan (I use a 5" x 3" x 8" pan.)
To create a crust, pour a little extra milk on top of raw batter and sprinkle sugar (maybe 2 T. total) onto the milk.
Bake at 325 for an hour. (This is the tricky part, because her recipe adds, "Test with a toothpick, and let it bake if toothpick shows uncooked batter." I have had loaves that required an extra ten minutes, and once it took an extra twenty minutes to get the deepest part of the loaf baked. Don't know why there's so much variance, but there is. Trust that toothpick.)

Yes, there's a lot of sugar in this, so I don't make it a lot. If anyone tries this and gets good results, I'd like to hear about it.

Beef stew & asparagus from the freezer plus a baked potato w/Greek yogurt, srirachi sauce, olive oil and a little ground black pepper.
Beef Stew, Asparagus & Baked Potato w Greek Srirachi Sauce & Greek Yogurt.jpg

Frozen Swai fillet sauted with leeks, tomato paste, srirachi sauce , chardonnay + rice -
Frozen Swai fillet sauted with leeks, tomato paste, srirachi sauce , chardonnay + rice.jpg

I am finishing up my burnt chicken leftovers and mashed potato leftovers and frozen corn.

Tomorrow I'll finish my pork chop leftovers. A couple of says ago I made my pork chop "specialty". Pork chops fried in a fry pan with tomato sauce and cheese melted on top with mushrooms on top of the mix.

By day after tomorrow I'll need to make something else that will provide several days of leftovers.
I haven’t made these for a while but I like sweet and sour pork chops.

You need pork loin chops, soy sauce, and marmalade. You start frying the pork chops on both sides, and when nearly cooked, transfer them to an oven dish if your frypan doesn’t go in the oven. Mix equal 2 tablespoons each of soy and marmalade, you can add ginger and/or mustard to taste. Pour 1/3 over chops, turn, pour another 3rd over them , turn and pour last third over chops. Put them in moderate oven till cooked.

It’s autumn here, so it’s stew and soup time. Today, because the cleaner is coming, I have made a beef and veg stew as it can slow cook, and be ready when Bilby has had enough driving around delivering chicken on this miserable rainy day, and also not be in Aleta’s way.

I also have this to cook up at some stage.

D6717D78-E55F-4760-808E-4FEB3924F58F.jpeg

It grew out of the compost Bilby used to plant Murray the Mulberry and that is a teaspoon on it for size.

I haven’t made these for a while but I like sweet and sour pork chops.

You need pork loin chops, soy sauce, and marmalade. You start frying the pork chops on both sides, and when nearly cooked, transfer them to an oven dish if your frypan doesn’t go in the oven. Mix equal 2 tablespoons each of soy and marmalade, you can add ginger and/or mustard to taste. Pour 1/3 over chops, turn, pour another 3rd over them , turn and pour last third over chops. Put them in moderate oven till cooked.

Sounds good. I don't usually follow any recipe. I usually cut up whatever meat I have, throw in vegies on hand. Any leftover rice, potatoes or pasta, slop on whatever sauce i'm in the mood for, sweet & sour, teriyaki or general tso sauce and fry.

Back
Top Bottom