• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

What Are You Eating Today?

Bought this really good tangerine marshmallow salad that had some pineapple and coconut in it. Very good because they didn’t add any sugar to it. Also the consistency of the creamy part reminded me of something I hadn’t had since childhood and had forgotten about: fluff. My mom used to make it. I think it was just Cool Whip and Jello whipped into a frenzy. Good stuff fluff.

I think that was called Ambrosia Salad. I haven't had it since I was kid.

You'll be happy to know I inquired about the Ambrosia Salad as to why they refer to it as

Ambrosia Salad.jpeg

and I was informed it is because it's just oranges and pineapple and not fruit cocktail.

I left it alone.

Should I have leftover steak with Teriyaki or General Tso sauce? And should I have corn or lima beans? And of course leftover mashed potatoes.

I'll need to go to the grocery at some point to get more variety. I like the oriental flavor rice boxes. I'd like some of those boil for 3 minutes ramen noodles. Throw some meat chunks and vegies in the pot and it makes a good dinner.

And my milk will go bad in a day or two.

HOLD THE PRESSES. I found a six pack of real Made in Japan raman noodles in our food collection area. I'm having noodles tonight!!!

Bought this really good tangerine marshmallow salad that had some pineapple and coconut in it. Very good because they didn’t add any sugar to it. Also the consistency of the creamy part reminded me of something I hadn’t had since childhood and had forgotten about: fluff. My mom used to make it. I think it was just Cool Whip and Jello whipped into a frenzy. Good stuff fluff.

I think that was called Ambrosia Salad. I haven't had it since I was kid.

You'll be happy to know I inquired about the Ambrosia Salad as to why they refer to it as

View attachment 32715

and I was informed it is because it's just oranges and pineapple and not fruit cocktail.

I left it alone.

I remember when my grandmother made it she also used halved maraschino cherries.

Here's a recipe that sounds just like my grandmothers.

Beef stir fry and veg. It’s getting into winter, so it’s stir fry season. Summer we usually have salads, and winter is stir fry. I bought fresh ginger, chilli and garlic in the shopping so have blended 2 red chillies (with seeds), an inch of ginger and 2 garlic cloves and olive oil. The thinly sliced rump steak is soaking in that at the moment, and I will cook some wombok, capsicum and zucchini to go with it. Maybe some onion and celery.

I'm going to be getting out the pressure cooker and doing a pot roast shortly.

I had to go to the grocery to get some stuff to send to my wife in Canada by way of sister in law who stopped in on the way. So while I was there I got a bag of frozen meatballs and sub rolls and pasta sauce so I think I'll save my leftover shake n bake for tomorrow and have meatball sub for dinner tonight.

I don’t feel like cooking. So it’s chickpea snacks, parmesan crisps and sultanas for dinner. Paired with a deep red cab sav.

Tomorrow is going to rain so I cooked 12 boneless chicken thighs on the grill with General Tso sauce tonight. I still have half of one of those pre-cooked ribs in the frig and one shake n bake pork chop. That will last me for several days.

I'd like to go to the store to get some deli egg & potato salad and some macaroni salad.

I still have a lot of frozen vegies and lots of potatoes and instant potatoes.

Oh and a 5 pound bag of frozen meatballs.

I need to pick up some meds for mom at the pharmacy inside the grocery. Maybe over the weekend.

Some day I'll cook up several boxes of oriental rice.

Being just me here for another month at least, when I cook I make lots of leftovers.

Linguini with shrimp, grape tomatoes and marinated artichoke hearts.Linguini with shrimp, grape tomatoes and marinated artichoke hearts.jpg

Just winged it on this one. Turned out a bit too spicy and salty. But the combo worked. Next time I'll make these adjustments:

4 oz. dry linguine, cooked

In a skillet with olive oil, sauté -
  • 1/3 of a well charred red bell pepper
  • 4 garlic cloves, sliced
  • 2.5 oz. marinated artichoke hearts
  • 1 tbsp. liquid from jar of artichoke hearts
  • 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
  • 1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
  • 1 tbsp. hummus (to thicken)
  • 1 tbsp. sherry vinegar
  • 6 grape tomatoes, halved
  • 1 tsp. dry oregano
  • 4 shrimp (16 - 20 per pound)
When the shrimp turn pink add the pasta and toss together.

ETA - Anyone know of a good sherry vinegar that's not too expensive? I bought a bottle of Colavita's and am not too impressed. I've been hearing how sherry vinegar is so superior to other types and so I bought a bottle. But I can't taste anything special other than that it's much more sour than rice or apple vinegars. But that's supposed to be normal. There's one on Amazon called Sherry Vinegar De Jerez by Saffi Foods but I'd need to buy 3 liters at $30. It gets good reviews though. Most others out there go for much higher prices.

Today is fridge audit day.

I try and only buy what we need but sometimes the best laid plans go to shit, so I do end up with extra veg in the fridge. So today is sort it out day.

I will prep veg for chicken stir fry tonight (celery, spring onions, zucchini, capsicum) and use up some fresh chilli, garlic and ginger in the marinade. More chicken then veg tonight though as I accidentally defrosted 2 chicken breasts.

And what’s left - my veg - which is cauliflower, broccoli, asparagus, Brussels sprouts etc, I shall either lightly steam, or turn into a soup, depending on how much other stuff is left. These will become my lunches for work next week.

Then I can work out a meal plan for the week that includes a fresh meal or two, and some frozen precooked stuff - stew/soup/pasta sauce type meals.

In a case of terrible timing, I made a wonderful loaf of fresh bread with flax seeds and sunflower seeds flavored with Reisling wine flour.

Set the timer so it would be fresh and piping hot when I woke up. Then read my pre-colonoscopy instructions to avoid seeds for 5 days. Now I have this lovely loaf of bread that I can’t eat.

Sad!

Focaccia again. This time topped it with marinated artichoke hearts, charred red bell pepper, grape tomatoes, sliced yellow onion, ground black pepper, dried oregano, dried basil, a little salt, and a drizzle of olive oil. Best yet.

Standard fare.

Breakfast scrambled egges with peppers and onion, rice, beans and hot sauce.

Lunch was turkey, cheese, cucumber, lettuce with mayo on a multi grain bread.

Kroger's had their deli pizza on sale for five bucks so we decided to try one, a meat lovers. Added some red bell pepper, onions and a little more mozzarella and it was surprisingly good.

Raisin Bran with almond milk is on the menu - again. Ha ha! I've been on a kick and have bought five boxes over the last month. Also fresh asparagus from the yard. Nuke to sweet crispy tender with olive oil and salt.

Mangos were on sale so I grabbed four. Ripe and sweet. Been eating leftover vegetable, barley soup with Italian bread for several days now.

Back
Top Bottom