• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

What Are You Eating Today?

Steak, low & slow + seared with torch.jpg

I had good results using a blow torch to blacken the skins of red bell peppers so I thought why not use it to char a steak after cooking low and slow. I've been using the reverse-sear method, which involves cooking in an oven at 275F for 20 minutes and then searing four sides in a cast iron skillet. It usually came out medium-rare edge to edge with a minimum of grey area around the edge. But that depends on how carefully the searing step is performed in the super-hot skillet. Also it adds the flavor of over-heated oil. So this time I coated with olive oil, seasoned with salt and pepper, cooked in the oven, and then seared the four sides with a Benzomatic torch like I do with the peppers. Works great! It was much easier to control the exact amount of charring so it remains perfectly medium-rare edge to edge and end-to-end. I was thinking of purchasing a stick-type sous vide cooker so I could get the perfectly even done-ness that reviewers and cooking shows rave about. But they go for anywhere from $60 to $200, and the technique requires cooking for hours at 135F. So it looks like this time I can save some money since it came out perfect in the oven, and along with the torch-charring method the flavor couldn't have been better. Ketchup would have been sacrilege. Very tender too. And this was top-round certified angus prime, which is a very lean cut, but can turn out to be tough. (Hey, I spare no expense. :))

Gonna make another pot of African Chicken Peanut Soup at some point today. I still have some leftover One Pot Chicken Parmesan to use up, too, so definitely eating some of that today.

for breakfast I has oatmeal porridge with cinnamon and stevia and 1% milk, and then later 1 big grape as a snack, and a large cup of coffee with stevia and milk.

I made breakfast for the wife and me today. Scrambled eggs with chopped orange bell pepper, onion and ham. Garlic and herb seasoning and colby jack cheese melted on top at the end of cooking. It was pretty good.

I made breakfast for the wife and me today. Scrambled eggs with chopped orange bell pepper, onion and ham. Garlic and herb seasoning and colby jack cheese melted on top at the end of cooking. It was pretty good.

I make that sort of egg thingy frequently. Also include a bit of tomato and green chilis.

I make that sort of egg thingy frequently. Also include a bit of tomato and green chilis.

No tomatoes in the house, I looked. And if I included chilis my wife wouldn't eat it. I almost chopped up some hot yellow peppers into it but I knew my wife would not like it. Luckily she does like garlic.

I like spicy food, she doesn't. Her idea of Mexican food is Taco Bell. I haven't had real Mexican in years and we have some good Mexican restaurants here.

The wife is outta town so I'm fending for myself. A couple hot dogs with relish, cheese and kraut topped with a stripe of catsup. Yum.

I can't use my family as an excuse so ...

Asparagus-Shrimp Soup & Foccacia.jpg

Asparagus-Potato-Cannellini Bean-Shrimp Soup 2.00 and first attempt at Focaccia w/Grape Tomatoes and Kalamata Olives. I baked the latter in a cast iron skillet.

Not bad. Thanks to Milk Street TV for the focaccia recipe.

Attachments

• Asparagus-Shrimp Soup & Foccacia.jpg
    Asparagus-Shrimp Soup & Foccacia.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 3

View attachment 32473

Asparagus-Potato-Cannellini Bean-Shrimp Soup 2.00 and first attempt at Focaccia w/Grape Tomatoes and Kalamata Olives. I baked the latter in a cast iron skillet.

I've always liked asparagus ever since I was a kid and my parents grew it in the garden. But it makes my pee smell funny. My wife doesn't believe me.

I just Googled the question and I'm right. It does.

View attachment 32473

I've always liked asparagus ever since I was a kid and my parents grew it in the garden. But it makes my pee smell funny. My wife doesn't believe me.

Oh Jeesus! Maybe if I have some kimchi for dessert it will clean everything out.

Harvard spent 3 million on a asparagus pee study. Roughly 60% of the people in the study can smell it. I couldn’t up until about five years ago, when it hit me, an odor most foul. I avoid asparagus now because of it. It’s that bad. I didn’t know it was something one could develop later in life.

This evening I have the choice between leftover burnt chicken legs or leftover steak. I may cut up the leftover steak and fry it up with potatoes, onions, some frozen vegies and teriyaki sauce.

Finishing the last leftovers of my last pot of African Chicken Peanut Soup. The weather is just not conducive to hot foods. Time for cold foods. Sandwiches, wraps, raw vegetables and fruit, hummus, chicken/tuna/salmon/crab salads, fruit pops.

Anyone have good ideas for cold recipes?

Finishing the last leftovers of my last pot of African Chicken Peanut Soup. The weather is just not conducive to hot foods. Time for cold foods. Sandwiches, wraps, raw vegetables and fruit, hummus, chicken/tuna/salmon/crab salads, fruit pops.

Chicken BBQ'd with creamy Ceasars dressing. Cooled in frig. Made in salad with chilled raman noodles. Use some Asian dipping sauce.

Chicken BBQ'd with creamy Ceasars dressing. Cooled in frig. Made in salad with chilled raman noodles. Use some Asian dipping sauce.

MMM nom nom nom. Great ideas. I was also thinking tomato/onion/cucumber salad, and also pasta salad. I'm thinking crab pasta salad and chicken pasta salad with bacon bits. OH and macaroni salad. Can't believe I forgot about macaroni salad.

Back
Top Bottom