• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

What Are You Eating Today?

Rhubarb grew well in New Jersey, but I never liked it. I had a neighbor who grew it when I was a child. Tonight, my chef is making quiche again, since we couldn't think of anything else to have. I wanted salmon but didn't want to make an extra trip to Krogers.

I put the last of my cooked ground beef in a pan with onions and peppers. Then added a tomato sauve.

From there I could have added rice, beans, or pasta. Or put it on Italian bread wit cheese and baked it crispy, but I don't eat a lot of bread anymore.

Tonight had a half ways between a stew and and a soup. A low cal dinner. Pizza and pasta is all about the sauce. I like a seasoned tomato sauce. I can eat it by the spoonful.

but I don't eat a lot of bread anymore.
I haven't had bread in months. Trying to avoid carbs. It's been tough. I love sandwiches.

Try this kind. It's delicious! And it's soft, too. A few years ago, it was kind of dry but I guess they've changed the recipe to make it softer now.

1655044997049.png

Pan fried potatoes seasoned with black pepper and curry, peppers and onions, and chicken sausdage.

I am making broccoli and cauliflower soup. I may add Brussels sprouts to it if it’s not enough for 5 serves for my lunches.

I will add a few spices to it once it’s blitzed for extra flavour.

I am making broccoli and cauliflower soup. I may add Brussels sprouts to it if it’s not enough for 5 serves for my lunches.

I developed a liking for Brussels sprouts. It has become part of my daily vegetable mix.

I developed a liking for Brussels sprouts. It has become part of my daily vegetable mix.

I've never liked brussels sprouts. My wife absolutely hates them. Calls them gag-a sprouts.

But broccoli and cauliflower soup sounds great to me.

My typical mix I make every three or four days. I boil a pot. I add tomatoes for a cold salad.

broccoli
carrots
yellow squash
zucchini
onions
peppers
brussells sprouts
celery

For me its cauliflower I don't like.

What has become my favorite hot weather dinner.

Cold vegetables with a sesame dressing and chilled canned salmon.

We are having what I am calling an ‘upside down cottageish/shepherdish pie.

I cut potatoes into cm cubes (nearly) and lay them down the bottom. Then I chopped up onions and spread them over the potatoes. Then I layered leftover roast pork, sliced mushrooms, more roast pork and finally some grated cheese. It’s in the oven on about 200C for about an hour.

(can you tell my cooking is not exactly precise :) )

Let‘s see how it tastes.

I haven't been doing much interesting these days, but have managed to make frozen fish more palatable:

1) Lay fish at the bottom of a 9 inch dish
2) Liberally season with spices (we're finding The Flavour Bible helps a lot with this), fresh garlic, and some fish sauce
3) Completely cover with diced Roma tomato
4) Bake for 20 minutes at 400 or 425, depending on how well you want the tomatoes done
5) Stir / Crush the tomato a bit at 10 minutes so the liquid and seasoning permeate through the dish. You can break up the fish or keep it in tact.

Very easy dish to make for the result you get out of it, and it tends to re-hydrate the fish.

Hamburger was on the menu but enjoyed salad style. Burger, bread, lettuce, pickle, all get cubed and splashed with olive oil and ketchup, then tossed and enjoyed with a spoon. Best enjoyed chilled when it's hot outside.

A hot weather treat.

Peel and pull apart a tangerine. Put it in the freezer until it just starts to freeze.

A lesson in reading instructions before hand

I made cupcakes today. I should have completely read the instructions on the cake mix box. I mixed up the batter and scooped it into the cupcakes cups to about a quarter inch from the top. I got 13 and 1/2 full cupcakes. I placed them in the oven then read on to see how long to bake.

Uh oh. It was supposed to make 24 cupcakes. They came out huge over the top of the pans. It didn't work well for the glaze I intended to pour over the tops.

I had made this cake before in full size pans, never cupcakes. So, I guess, live and learn.

Recipe:
Standard yellow cake mix
While baking, mix a half cup of lemon juice and powdered sugar for the glaze
Once done and out of the oven, pierce the cake all over with a toothpick
While still warm, drizzle the lemon glaze all over the cake
Place into a refrigerator
Top with whipped cream when the cake cools

The glaze trickles down into the cake to make a very moist and lemony sweet cake. I sometimes use sliced strawberries on top for a garnish.

A lesson in reading instructions before hand

I made cupcakes today. I should have completely read the instructions on the cake mix box. I mixed up the batter and scooped it into the cupcakes cups to about a quarter inch from the top. I got 13 and 1/2 full cupcakes. I placed them in the oven then read on to see how long to bake.

Uh oh. It was supposed to make 24 cupcakes. They came out huge over the top of the pans. It didn't work well for the glaze I intended to pour over the tops.

I had made this cake before in full size pans, never cupcakes. So, I guess, live and learn.

Recipe:
Standard yellow cake mix
While baking, mix a half cup of lemon juice and powdered sugar for the glaze
Once done and out of the oven, pierce the cake all over with a toothpick
While still warm, drizzle the lemon glaze all over the cake
Place into a refrigerator
Top with whipped cream when the cake cools

The glaze trickles down into the cake to make a very moist and lemony sweet cake. I sometimes use sliced strawberries on top for a garnish.
This might be a good time to call in The Cleaner to help with the excess spillage.

In the news due to reduction in tomato production ketchup may become in short supply. Stock up now.

In the news due to reduction in tomato production ketchup may become in short supply. Stock up now.
I remember two years ago not being able to get tomatoes on Whoppers at Burger King because they couldn't get them.

Back
Top Bottom