• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

What Are You Eating Today?

Hmm, I was wanting to flavour up our sautéed mushrooms and remembered the little flavour bomb that resides in the bottom of the sun dried tomatoes jar…. 🙂.

Back in the 90s I think a professor in biology was given a grant to develop a tomato staiin more rerstant to shipping.

He rolled tomatoes down a rough hill and then bred the ones that bruised the least.

Brekfast today a cold boiled egg and Cheerios. I threw caution to the wind and used whole milk.

In the news due to reduction in tomato production ketchup may become in short supply. Stock up now.
I remember two years ago not being able to get tomatoes on Whoppers at Burger King because they couldn't get them.
Well, there goes the Drop The Tomato science experiment. :)
I bought tomatoes today - $9.90 a kg! 😲
what's a kg?
It's the fundamental unit of mass, and the only fundamental unit in SI that includes a magnitude prefix.

It's also a lot of tomatoes.

Nectarines. I have been getting lots of nectarines. They ship a bit unripe, so I put 'em in the fridge for a few days. A nice nectarine washed and quartered makes a wonderous quick snack.

Tomatoes are finally peaking, almost two months late. So, anything that requires fresh great tomatoes.

Nectarines. I have been getting lots of nectarines. They ship a bit unripe, so I put 'em in the fridge for a few days. A nice nectarine washed and quartered makes a wonderous quick snack.
You could try a paper bag. Many fruits ripen well in a paper bag for a day or two. Peaches love it in there.
Add a banana to speed things up.

Most fruit ripening is mediated by Ethylene as a hormone, and as it's a gas, it's easy to get fast ripening fruits like bananas to donate it to slower ripening fruits. (That's how the paper bag works, btw, by stopping the Ethylene from escaping so fast, while still allowing water to escape so that mold isn't encouraged to grow).

You could try a paper bag. Many fruits ripen well in a paper bag for a day or two. Peaches love it in there.
I think it has to do with a gas ripening fruits release.

I say, Holmes! How do you do it?

Ethylene is a gas and is known as the “fruit-ripening hormone.” Every fruit has a certain level of ethylene production throughout its lifecycle. However, in some fruits, ethylene levels shoot up when the fruit starts ripening.Apr 20, 2018

Lunch today ground beef with garlic, rotini, cheese, and tomato sauce.

Rotini is easier to gt from plate to mouth with a spoon than elbows.

Fried garlic thne made a cheese omlet on top. With rice and tomato sauce.

Ethylene is a gas and is known as the “fruit-ripening hormone.” Every fruit has a certain level of ethylene production throughout its lifecycle. However, in some fruits, ethylene levels shoot up when the fruit starts ripening.Apr 20, 2018
Is this why fruits ripen in waves?

Yes

I ordered a watermelon from Walmart. A full sized seedless melon. They were out of that so they substituted three, count them, three smaller watermelons. It looks like I will be eating watermelons for the next few days. I just ate half of one. It was unfortunately, not a paricularly good melon. I hate Walmart.

Yes
It reminds me of something slime molds do when they run out of food. They release a signal that says "hey guys, everyone on me" and then they make a little slug and crawl in a line a ways away and make a little gross slime mushroom on the sacrifices of the least successful of their weird slug orgy.

It's all through the release of a particular chemical.

Notably sometimes two slime mold amoebas find each other sexy and fuck. There is no gender, just compatibility. Then they get into a big orgy without making a slug then everyone fucks off.

Back
Top Bottom