• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

What Are You Eating Today?

I'm going to be making a pot of my red pepper soup per the wife's request.

Sausages, reheated in the oven while my veg mix of cauliflower, broccoli, Brussels sprouts and zucchini was cooking in the same oven. :)
Yesterday I boiked a pot of yellow squash, zucchini, celery, brussels sprouts, and broccoli. A pot lasts me three or four days. Sausage sounds good.

I have never baked vegetables. We are in a cold patch, maybe I'll try it and heat up the oven to warm up my place.

Sausages, reheated in the oven while my veg mix of cauliflower, broccoli, Brussels sprouts and zucchini was cooking in the same oven. :)
Yesterday I boiked a pot of yellow squash, zucchini, celery, brussels sprouts, and broccoli. A pot lasts me three or four days. Sausage sounds good.

I have never baked vegetables. We are in a cold patch, maybe I'll try it and heat up the oven to warm up my place.
Yeah, roasting veg is good! Chop them into chunks, scatter them into a Pyrex dish, drizzle with oil and seasoning of your choice, (Lancashire relish, Worcestershire sauce, or any marinade works well), and cook until done.

Tonight will be another portion of the veg, this time with A baked lime and chilli marinaded salmon fillet.

I was thinking about making teriyaki pork roast and rice but boys don't like pork
I was thinking of making baked and saute'd chicken with mashed potatos but the boys don't like chicken thighs
I was thinking about grilling some steak and a baked potato but the boys aren't in the mood

So it's pasta and frozen meatballs.

When I was a kid my mom made what my dad liked and I'd eat it or be hungry. How did we start letting the kids limited tastes rule?

I have resolved that after tonight I will make what I like and if they don't like it they can make mac-n-cheese but only if they eat up the leftovers.

Yeah, roasting veg is good! Chop them into chunks, scatter them into a Pyrex dish, drizzle with oil and seasoning of your choice, (Lancashire relish, Worcestershire sauce, or any marinade works well), and cook until done.

Tonight will be another portion of the veg, this time with A baked lime and chilli marinaded salmon fillet.
I will try it.

Tonight is leftovers from yesterday. Half a pork tenderloin. Rice-a-roni without the seasoning package (too salty!!) and added some
teriyaki sauce. Mixed in a pile of green beans and corn.

I like rice-a-roni because it's easy to make in a fry pan but their seasonings packages are way too salty. Sometimes I only use half and sometimes I don't use it at all. I wish they made a no salt version.

20221119_152805.jpg

I am defrosting some frozen walleye. At this writing, I am undecided whether to grill it (it is cold and I am not yet acclimated to it) or broil it. In either case, once it is defrosted, I sprinkle a tiny bit of salt over it and then marinate in some olive oil.

I think we (either my lovely wife or myself) will roast some potatoes. Served along with green salad and we will have one of our favorite meals.

I have a Banquet frozen chicken dinner in the oven. I will add butter, bacon bits and cheese to the mashed taters. I have one lonely hamburger bun left. I might as well make cinnamon toast for dessert.

So a new restaurant just went up here in town. Dick's Last Resort. The strange thing about it is there are DLRs in big cities all over the country, mostly touristy type cities, yet their next choice was to put one in our little podunk city. While the food looks and sounds pretty good, considering the prices, I can't see this place making a profit here.

Just wondering if anyone has actually been to one and what you thought of it.

Bulk cooking sausages and potato bake for lunches/dinners for the rest of the week.

My potato bake has layers of sliced potatoes, onions, zucchini (which breaks down to help steam the potato), pepperoni, sweet potato, mushrooms, roast pork (we had some left over) more potato and topped with cheese.

So a new restaurant just went up here in town. Dick's Last Resort. The strange thing about it is there are DLRs in big cities all over the country, mostly touristy type cities, yet their next choice was to put one in our little podunk city. While the food looks and sounds pretty good, considering the prices, I can't see this place making a profit here.

Just wondering if anyone has actually been to one and what you thought of it.
That's what we used to call the women in the bar at closing time.

Trying to improve my Christmas chili. Last year I substituted a Christmas ale for the beef broth the recipe called for. It was good. I thought the beer flavors would get lost. I was surprised when they didn’t.
I just made a pot and put too much chili powder in. It overwhelms. I need to remember to write down these changes as I make them.
I also want to substitute chili flakes for powder. The powder has a bitter edge to me. I like flakes better. So now I’m wondering about a flakes to powder equivalency. I’ll just go real light on the flakes.

Trying to improve my Christmas chili. Last year I substituted a Christmas ale for the beef broth the recipe called for. It was good. I thought the beer flavors would get lost. I was surprised when they didn’t.
I just made a pot and put too much chili powder in. It overwhelms. I need to remember to write down these changes as I make them.
I also want to substitute chili flakes for powder. The powder has a bitter edge to me. I like flakes better. So now I’m wondering about a flakes to powder equivalency. I’ll just go real light on the flakes.

My chili recipe originally called for a quarter cup of chili powder.. a teaspoon would likely be a good starting point to ratio that much chili powder, a little less if you wanted to tend on less spicy. I have a butternut squash soup recipe where I use flakes, and a little under a teaspoon is usually about right for an average squash and a single container of broth.

A while back I researched Chili seasonings and stumbled on this mix:

- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika (use smoked paprika, if desired)
- 1 teaspoon cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon

The cocoa powder seems to be the biggest add, makes the chili taste richer. I'll make two portions of this mixture, and use a third cup of the mix in my chili.

Lunch yoday.

Hot dogs, Nebrew National my favorite, cold potatoes, and mustard.

Back
Top Bottom