• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

What Are You Eating Today?

I found myself with too much food this week. I love stocking up on stuff that keeps, but somehow I ended up this week with too much bread, deli turkey, and eggs. I hard boiled a dozen eggs, which I can snack on one by one, and the other dozen fresh are fine going into next week and the week after. I cook up eggs probably every other day. Eggs are one of the few things I don't mind cooking up as I eat them as they're so easy and quick to cook. My favorites are poached or creamed with toast, which will help use up the extra loaf of bread I have.

I only had a package of 8 wraps, but I find myself not in the mood for them. I just bought them out of habit. So I decided to make some wraps and freeze them and then I can nuke them up at my leisure over the next few months. I cooked and seasoned some brown rice (something else I have a lot of but it keeps, so not a big deal) and put a scoop onto each wrap, then layered on turkey and swiss cheese, and then topped with spinach and s&p. Wrapped up burrito style, then wrapped in paper towels, and then placed two to a baggie and popped into the freezer.

I made a huge pot of pasta and sauce, which I think I might be losing a taste for as well. I think I'll have to just eat it, though, because I've already used up way more than my allotment of freezer space.

Attachments

• freezingwraps.jpg
    freezingwraps.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
After posting the above, my mind kept going to those eggs and saying, yes, gimme, gimme, gimme. So I went downstairs and made poached eggs. I typically make three at a time, usually with two pieces of toast but, like I mentioned, wanted to use up some bread.

I have a solid two out of three average for success in poaching eggs, and this time is no different as you can see the bottom one somehow shed its whites and they cooked separately. Oh, also decided to try seasoning the water and it worked out really well, very tasty.

Attachments

• poached.png
    poached.png
    294 KB · Views: 2
After posting the above, my mind kept going to those eggs and saying, yes, gimme, gimme, gimme. So I went downstairs and made poached eggs. I typically make three at a time, usually with two pieces of toast but, like I mentioned, wanted to use up some bread.

I have a solid two out of three average for success in poaching eggs, and this time is no different as you can see the bottom one somehow shed its whites and they cooked separately. Oh, also decided to try seasoning the water and it worked out really well, very tasty.
Nice. For some reason, I've never been able to properly poach an egg.

My experience is that it takes practice.

First meal made in the new air fryer. Sausage stuffed mushrooms. Damn, but they were good. And the wife loved them too.

View attachment 35947
Dang, that does look good! For us: we're eating impossible burgers with sautéed onions and mushrooms for dinner tonight! My kids are pushing me more and more to becoming a vegetarian. Not a fan of tofu. However, love the impossible burgers. They are high in sodium. But I like them.

First meal made in the new air fryer. Sausage stuffed mushrooms. Damn, but they were good. And the wife loved them too.

View attachment 35947
Dang, that does look good! For us: we're eating impossible burgers with sautéed onions and mushrooms for dinner tonight! My kids are pushing me more and more to becoming a vegetarian. Not a fan of tofu. However, love the impossible burgers. They are high in sodium. But I like them.
I find that fake meat to be incredibly expensive.

Haven't been to the store for a bit with the rain.

For lunch I opened a can of cream corn from my emergency canned food and added navy beans and rice from the refrigerator.

I suspect i don't have the water at the right temp. Poached are better for you than fried.

I suspect i don't have the water at the right temp. Poached are better for you than fried.
Definitely.

Some tricks for poaching:
Strain your eggs so that the watery part of the whites drains off. This reduces the amount of loose egg white and helps the poached egg to be more round and smooth.
I bring the water to a boil, then take it off the heat completely, and then use a large serving spoon to set each egg down into the water. I move the spoon between eggs for a few seconds so they don't stick together. Takes about three minutes to cook for runny yolks, about five or six mins for cooked yolks.

Definitely.

Some tricks for poaching:
Strain your eggs so that the watery part of the whites drains off. This reduces the amount of loose egg white and helps the poached egg to be more round and smooth.
I bring the water to a boil, then take it off the heat completely, and then use a large serving spoon to set each egg down into the water. I move the spoon between eggs for a few seconds so they don't stick together. Takes about three minutes to cook for runny yolks, about five or six mins for cooked yolks.
Thanks for the tips. Maybe I'll give it a try tomorrow morning. (y)

How about scrambled eggs ala microwave? Add about a tablespoon of water per egg, beat, nuke for 30 seconds, stir, nuke another fifteen seconds to taste. Not good if you make them too dry. Top with a drizzle of olive oil, ketchup, salt and enjoy with homemade sourdough whole wheat toast.

The eggs don't explode if you add enough water. Quick, easy, healthy and delicious, especially if you can afford eggs from pastured chickens with that very orange yolk.

I was the cook last night. I made carrot soufflé' and marinated pork tenderloin with a creamy sauce on the side.. Mr. Sohy wanted to help, so he made sautéed chard with spinach. It was all delicious! I think it's back to chicken tenders in the air fryer tonight. We eat them at least once a week.

I microwave poach mine. It tends to be pretty foolproof.

Step
  1. Fill bowl with water. I use the size we call a “stew bowl”. It’s twice the size of a cereal bowl. But smaller bowls also work.
  2. Nuke water for 2 minutes
  3. Remove from uwave. Crack 2 eggs into hot water
  4. Use fork to pierce each yolk so it doesn’t explode. The water’s hot so the pierced holes heal right up.
  5. Return to microwave and cook for another 2 minutes.
  6. Remove from microwave and let stand 1 minute. Here’s where I add my spinach. It wilts and is ready to serve with the eggs.
  7. Use slotted spoon to remove from water. Well poached egg, with 4 tiny yellow dots where I pierced the yolk.
  8. Place on bed of spinach.
  9. Add a slice of cheese on top
  10. mmmmmm.

Rhea, I'm sitting here saying out loud, "Nom nom nom nom nom." :biggrina:

That's a great method for poached eggs. Definitely gonna try it next time. The only thing I would do differently is to strain the eggs first to get rid of all the watery part of the whites that make poached eggs look like raggedy ghosts. I like mine to look like smooth testicles. :glee:

I passed by a Chinese bakery today and could not resist going in.
l
Damn the calories and blood sugar, I bought some lemon creme pastries. Went home, made coffee, and could not help eating them all at once.

That's why I usually avoid bakeries.

Lord, people, you're making me hungry!

Weather sucked and I was out of bread so baked my standard three loaves of sourdough today. In the oven right now and as soon as I can slice some I'll have my microwave scrambled eggs with toast.

Made three pizzas the other day when I had to refresh the starter. Turned out excellent making a crust in a skillet and then baking after adding toppings.

Leftovers tonight. I broke vegetarianism yesterday and again today through leftovers.

Spinach and feta pierogies with kielbasa and sauteed asparagus.
Now I am jonesing for some pie.

I'm going to be making stuffed mushrooms for dinner tonight. Got four large portobello mushroom caps and some sweet itelian sausage.

Back
Top Bottom